Jump to topic:

Political Identity Survey

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:55:46 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
I wanted to get a snapshot of where members of DDO stand. This 10-question survey includes questions about where people stand ideologically. If you want to take it, it should take no more than 15 minutes.

https://www.surveymonkey.com...
Disclaimer: this is not a scientific study.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:27:20 AM
done
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 1:33:39 PM
Done. The survey was very well done.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 2:16:31 PM
completed
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 2:50:07 PM
I might do this after trying to figure out the Cathedral thingy. I'd like to see the results though definitely. It's an interesting survey.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 3:31:37 PM
Took it. There were a few questions I really didn't know about though.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 3:50:50 PM
Completed. This was a very interesting and different political identity test. It made me think about a few things rather intensely.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 7:44:38 PM
Finished. Very well done, Solon.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:37:51 PM
Thank you all for the warm responses, everyone. This has made me think of a few interesting topics for discussion/surveying later.

Don't read the rest of the post if you're planning on taking the survey and haven't, yet.

Current results: https://www.surveymonkey.com...
The interesting things I'll note so far (I'm not going to project things I don't have a large enough sample for, like the left-right balance):
Some labels seem to evoke push-back. Despite half of the respondents identifying as liberal, and two as progressive, only one was willing to identify as an SJW. Not a single person took neocon. Despite three people taking the Reactionary and Alt-Right labels, no one took White Nationalist. Unsurprisingly, no one took Communist, either.
Also, I'm surprised we have an anarchist on the site. Interesting times.

The values question was another I was interested in seeing the results for. I find it interesting that "Diversity" was dead last, but that "Openness" beat out homogeneity, spirituality, and love. I wonder if that's another emotional reaction from a buzzword, or if people attach a different connotation to openness.

The Cathedral is a very unpopular idea--it would appear that only the people who self-identify as reactionaries (a small percentage) subscribe to it. This is a pretty clear indicator that DDO is not a fringe-right site--there is a minority that subscribes to the fringe right, but at the end of the day, that's a rather small minority.

Yet, for all the answers to the previous questions, people overwhelmingly saw class as a barrier to social movement. 14 of the 19 respondents saw it as a moderate barrier or stronger. This begs the question--why don't we have more leftists? It also suggests that leftists on the site might actually be more successful in their arguments if they incorporated class more often.

The world leader rankings were all very interesting. Thank y'all for restoring some of my faith in humanity by collectively putting Hitler in last place (even if one of you bafflingly put him at #5)

The refugee question only surprised me in terms of how people who WOULD take them scaled their responses. I'd be interested to know how certain people justified taking 2, or 25, for instance, but not 100.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:21:33 PM
At 11/20/2016 10:37:51 PM, SolonKR wrote:

Yet, for all the answers to the previous questions, people overwhelmingly saw class as a barrier to social movement. 14 of the 19 respondents saw it as a moderate barrier or stronger. This begs the question--why don't we have more leftists? It also suggests that leftists on the site might actually be more successful in their arguments if they incorporated class more often.

The left in America seeks to maintain the classes through identity politics instead of policies of true equality.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 12:08:38 AM
Done. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 12:14:44 AM
At 11/20/2016 11:21:33 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

The left in America seeks to maintain the classes through identity politics instead of policies of true equality.

^

There's a reason that Hillary Clinton was the candidate of Wall Street. There's a reason that corporations aggressively push the diversity narrative. A deracinated working class with nothing to bind them together has no means of collectively organizing, and a spiritually dead population full of people that define themselves by the products they consume (like Apple) and fill the hole in their souls with materialism = more profit
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 12:29:03 AM
At 11/20/2016 11:21:33 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

That's hard to disagree with.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:57:04 AM
Someone who identified as "neoconservative" and "libertarian" put Ronald Reagan at the bottom and Adolf Hitler at the top of the leader list, as well as putting "homogeneity" at the top and "liberty" at the bottom; I think they misinterpreted the directions. If you're that person, contact me and I'll edit your survey response so that the answers are reversed for those questions. Otherwise, I'll probably delete the response for unusual inconsistency in a day or two.

Apologies for the lack of clarity in the instructions.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 5:30:12 AM
Done. Just be aware that, due to the survey's difficulty, there was some guesswork involved in my answers.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 6:06:32 AM

It's the fact that the neocon capitalism-worship is a recent blip that is already fading. Traditionalists have often been strongly anti-Capitalist, and Trump supporters are incredibly suspicious of typical Laissez-faire, supporting a welfare state which focuses on providing a good standard of living for the blue-collar class. Meanwhile much of the left all but worships at the altar of the upper classes, revering them as setters of culture, often denigrating conservative as 'rednecks' and 'rubes', and congregating for the most part in large cities and both political and educational institutions. Even with figures like Bernie, the left seldom does anything for the working class, often choosing to feed in to the same system that maximizes GDP growth while feeding it to the upper echelons of society while everyone else struggles.

The fact of the matter is that neither party has represented the working class within my lifetime. The right have been telling them that the wealth will trickle down, then the factories move overseas and they don't see a drop. The left has been telling them that there are too many people on the planet so they shouldn't have kids, but we don't have enough people to fuel the economy, so we need to bring in all of these people who are willing to work for a pittance. But don't worry, the urbane tech and financial industries (which we tend to work in, it's a coincidence) are the 'future'; you silly rubes just need to learn to code (oh yeah, btw, college will get your kids a mortgage and you've been privileged, so you're on the back burner as far as financial aid goes). The factories aren't coming back, and, well, it's a service economy so you just have to wait tables if you're not driven enough to improve yourself, ew, by the way your trailer is gross and I can't believe that you savages killed Bambi's mom. And, omg, are you complaining that we dissolved the housing project and your previously peaceful neighborhood was flooded with Section 8 vouchers and crime while we patted ourselves on the back? What a filthy, disgusting, racist bigot, I can't believe we tried so hard to help you, you're DEPLORABLE!

If you think that coming back and talking sh!t about 'the rich people' is going to win anyone over to the left, you're fooling yourselves. The only reason that Trump won over a segment of that population was the absolutely iconoclastic approach which he took to the Republican political establishment. The Democrats carefully tamped out their blaze, but their entire political infrastructure has to burn to the ground before the people who 'don't understand their own self-interest' EVER trust them again.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:07:38 AM
At 11/21/2016 6:06:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I agree with most of this (not one or two of the examples and not part of the conclusion, but it's 1:00 AM and I still have homework). Have you been reading more reactionary blogs lately? Your writing style has been morphing into that (more fun to read, less substantive at times).
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 12:02:08 AM
At 11/21/2016 8:07:38 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 11/21/2016 6:06:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I agree with most of this (not one or two of the examples and not part of the conclusion, but it's 1:00 AM and I still have homework). Have you been reading more reactionary blogs lately? Your writing style has been morphing into that (more fun to read, less substantive at times).

Lol, no, I've been being hectored by liberal catladies because I voted for Trump.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -