Jump to topic:

Why do some people hate muslims?

Grizzly-Jones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 5:53:13 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
'Im curious to see what others have to say about this. I notice that anti muslim sentiments are much greater compared to other demographics.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 6:08:57 PM
At 11/20/2016 5:53:13 PM, Grizzly-Jones wrote:
'Im curious to see what others have to say about this. I notice that anti muslim sentiments are much greater compared to other demographics.

Because they look, speak, and act differently than us.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Grizzly-Jones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 6:12:45 PM
At 11/20/2016 6:08:57 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

If that is the case, that is truly pathetic.

However, I'm not convinced with that answer. Asians look speak and act differently. Indians looks speak and act differently. Yet the same hate sentiment is barely even there.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 6:14:26 PM
At 11/20/2016 6:12:45 PM, Grizzly-Jones wrote:
At 11/20/2016 6:08:57 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

If that is the case, that is truly pathetic.

However, I'm not convinced with that answer. Asians look speak and act differently. Indians looks speak and act differently. Yet the same hate sentiment is barely even there.

Pretty sure the real answer is because some people are associating "Muslim" with terrorism, thanks to a large amount of terrorist organization being Islamic. The fact that the Muslim world is faced with strife and internal conflict doesn't help either.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 6:17:22 PM

In my opinion, there are 3 major reasons.

Ultra-Conservatism

There is no denying that Islam is an extremely conservative religion that is mainly incompatible with Western values countries have today. When people see how women are perceived in Islam, or how punishments are carried out, they are extremely scared or become angry at how barbaric these practices are. The worst part is that a vast number of muslims approve of this practice.

2. Violence

Violence in Islam which correlates to real life terrorism is something that is not observed in any other religion. Unlike other examples of terrorism where we would blame a certain organization, when Islamic terrorism occurs, people are suspicious of muslims, because both the non-terrorist muslim and terrorist read the same Quran. Terrorists have often cited the Quran as the reason for their bloodshed, and this causes severe anger and fear among other people. Just look at this graph to see how frequent Islamic terrorism is.

3. Assimilation and Integration

Something that I have noticed in my readings, are that people seemed annoyed at how muslims do not assimilate into Western Culture. This is mainly because of how vastly different their own culture is to Western culture. To make matters worse, Muslims tend to usually force ethnic enclaves and further segregate themselves. This has lead to the increased chances of radicalization. However it is worth nothing that this seems to be mainly a European issue. In America, this is far less likely due to the fact that we don"t share borders with muslim countries and have a general culture of assimilating into American society.

I think to sum it up, Islam is a key catalyst for why people hate muslims. If Islam could go through some reform and moderate it"s view on several issues , you will gradually see these hate sentiments go down. The only problem is that the majority of it"s supporters do not want to admit that their religion could be at fault, and instead are just committing the no true scotsman fallacy. This type of response to terrorist attacks also further aggravates others who are affected.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:15:13 PM
At 11/20/2016 6:26:20 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
The World Trade Center

Yup... 9/11 permanently destroyed the reputation that the muslim community had in America.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k