Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Polls

Davery79
Posts: 184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 5:20:39 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

Everyone gave up because you said they didn't mean anything, nor did you trust them. So I have written of them off as well, yet the media still comes out with different ones to support the their views.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 5:21:19 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

polls say people no longer think about them, they have been replaced by twitter opinions I guess.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 5:27:20 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:21:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

polls say people no longer think about them, they have been replaced by twitter opinions I guess.

lol remember I argued against them from the get go.
Davery79
Posts: 184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 5:33:46 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:27:20 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:21:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

polls say people no longer think about them, they have been replaced by twitter opinions I guess.

lol remember I argued against them from the get go.

Ah yes, it was you and Kevin making jokes about what polls you trust and what polls you didn't. Like fishing polls. I trust those as well.
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 5:42:57 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

I will remember this when you give me one of those false government controlled statistics about Blacks. (idiot)
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 5:48:51 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

Because they were almost as inaccurate as the weather, and, like the weather reports when they're wrong, we just move on from it because that's a fact of life.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 5:53:09 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

Most of the polls had Trump losing in a landslide. That simply did not happen.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 6:07:35 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:42:57 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

I will remember this when you give me one of those false government controlled statistics about Blacks. (idiot)

Wtf are you talking about?

What a fool.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 6:09:10 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:48:51 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

Because they were almost as inaccurate as the weather, and, like the weather reports when they're wrong, we just move on from it because that's a fact of life.

As many have stated for many years... although I'd contend weather forecasts are often more accurate than polls cited to influence others.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 6:11:11 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:27:20 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:21:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

polls say people no longer think about them, they have been replaced by twitter opinions I guess.

lol remember I argued against them from the get go.

I got laughed at for suggesting that if you didn't pay for the poll, you won't see the actual results.
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 6:12:32 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 6:07:35 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:42:57 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

I will remember this when you give me one of those false government controlled statistics about Blacks. (idiot)

Wtf are you talking about?

What a fool.

Its a response to a bigoted mind. That's if you are just that.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 6:20:43 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:27:20 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:21:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

polls say people no longer think about them, they have been replaced by twitter opinions I guess.

lol remember I argued against them from the get go.

yeah lol, 87% of people polled believe 50% of the polls are accurate about 10% of the time. see how easy it is to make one?! LOL
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 6:25:22 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 6:20:43 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:27:20 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:21:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

polls say people no longer think about them, they have been replaced by twitter opinions I guess.

lol remember I argued against them from the get go.

yeah lol, 87% of people polled believe 50% of the polls are accurate about 10% of the time. see how easy it is to make one?! LOL

I'm against them in college football let alone politics. I am for fishing poles. Lol
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 6:27:11 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 6:12:32 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/22/2016 6:07:35 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:42:57 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

I will remember this when you give me one of those false government controlled statistics about Blacks. (idiot)

Wtf are you talking about?

What a fool.

Its a response to a bigoted mind. That's if you are just that.

Got the wrong dude there Holmes.
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 6:39:38 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 6:27:11 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 6:12:32 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/22/2016 6:07:35 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:42:57 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

I will remember this when you give me one of those false government controlled statistics about Blacks. (idiot)

Wtf are you talking about?

What a fool.

Its a response to a bigoted mind. That's if you are just that.

Got the wrong dude there Holmes.

Just checking.
slo1
Posts: 4,351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 8:10:26 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 5:53:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

Most of the polls had Trump losing in a landslide. That simply did not happen.

You are conflating polls with predictions. The polls showed Trump closed the gap in the battle ground states. Some he was ahead, although most were with in margin of error so it was anyone's guess.

The predictions had her overwhelmingly winning largely because they ignored the polls and the fact that the gap closed significantly in the last two weeks. Toss in the hidden Trump voters and voila he wins the electorial college while the national polls were accurate for Hillary.

I think there was so many people angry that Trump won they took it out on the polls. By their very nature Polls are not going to be accurate when the margin of error is greater than the actual difference in voting. FL vote was 1.3% between Trump and Hillary. All the polls I saw within week of election hit it on the nose even though some had Hillary ahead by 1%. They were all within 3 to 4 percent range of error.
Davery79
Posts: 184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 10:02:57 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 8:10:26 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:53:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

Most of the polls had Trump losing in a landslide. That simply did not happen.

You are conflating polls with predictions. The polls showed Trump closed the gap in the battle ground states. Some he was ahead, although most were with in margin of error so it was anyone's guess.

The predictions had her overwhelmingly winning largely because they ignored the polls and the fact that the gap closed significantly in the last two weeks. Toss in the hidden Trump voters and voila he wins the electorial college while the national polls were accurate for Hillary.

I think there was so many people angry that Trump won they took it out on the polls. By their very nature Polls are not going to be accurate when the margin of error is greater than the actual difference in voting. FL vote was 1.3% between Trump and Hillary. All the polls I saw within week of election hit it on the nose even though some had Hillary ahead by 1%. They were all within 3 to 4 percent range of error.

A week and a half out, Hillary had it in some states by 13 points, with a margin of error of 3. I think that specific state was Florida, which is what people always look at.
slo1
Posts: 4,351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 1:57:13 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/22/2016 10:02:57 PM, Davery79 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 8:10:26 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:53:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

Most of the polls had Trump losing in a landslide. That simply did not happen.

You are conflating polls with predictions. The polls showed Trump closed the gap in the battle ground states. Some he was ahead, although most were with in margin of error so it was anyone's guess.

The predictions had her overwhelmingly winning largely because they ignored the polls and the fact that the gap closed significantly in the last two weeks. Toss in the hidden Trump voters and voila he wins the electorial college while the national polls were accurate for Hillary.

I think there was so many people angry that Trump won they took it out on the polls. By their very nature Polls are not going to be accurate when the margin of error is greater than the actual difference in voting. FL vote was 1.3% between Trump and Hillary. All the polls I saw within week of election hit it on the nose even though some had Hillary ahead by 1%. They were all within 3 to 4 percent range of error.

A week and a half out, Hillary had it in some states by 13 points, with a margin of error of 3. I think that specific state was Florida, which is what people always look at.

You will have to show me more than one poll that had Hillary up by that miuch when the sample was taken within 2 weeks of the election. Most were one point for Hillary and a few for Trump.

FL polls were right where they should have been.
Davery79
Posts: 184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 1:36:58 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/23/2016 1:57:13 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 10:02:57 PM, Davery79 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 8:10:26 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:53:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/22/2016 5:11:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
What happened to polls and people arguing the validity of them? Lol

Most of the polls had Trump losing in a landslide. That simply did not happen.

You are conflating polls with predictions. The polls showed Trump closed the gap in the battle ground states. Some he was ahead, although most were with in margin of error so it was anyone's guess.

The predictions had her overwhelmingly winning largely because they ignored the polls and the fact that the gap closed significantly in the last two weeks. Toss in the hidden Trump voters and voila he wins the electorial college while the national polls were accurate for Hillary.

I think there was so many people angry that Trump won they took it out on the polls. By their very nature Polls are not going to be accurate when the margin of error is greater than the actual difference in voting. FL vote was 1.3% between Trump and Hillary. All the polls I saw within week of election hit it on the nose even though some had Hillary ahead by 1%. They were all within 3 to 4 percent range of error.

A week and a half out, Hillary had it in some states by 13 points, with a margin of error of 3. I think that specific state was Florida, which is what people always look at.

You will have to show me more than one poll that had Hillary up by that miuch when the sample was taken within 2 weeks of the election. Most were one point for Hillary and a few for Trump.

FL polls were right where they should have been.

I guess it was a national poll. I don't have time to get the exact one, but here is an article about it, and why Trump was so pissed thinking the polls were correct, when he had so many people showing up to cheer him on.
http://ktla.com...