Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

History and Debate of Iran-Iraq War (revised)

lightseeker
Posts: 1,024
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 8:04:04 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
hello. in the big issues there is a topic called "History and Debate of Iran-Iraq War"
http://www.debate.org...
I was just casually reading this and being a Persian and knowing what had actually happened, saw a bunch of obvious mistakes that was intentionally added to the text.
now before reading that topic, just take a quick look at it's source (provided below) to be able to compare these two together.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

okay, in the Iran-Iraq war debate we read:
The Iran-Iraq war was an armed conflict between the nations of Iraq and Iran. This was also known in the United States as the First Persian Gulf War and lasted from September of 1980 until August of 1988. The war began when Iran invaded Iraq both by air and on land on September 22, 1980. (compare this with Wikipedia: The Iran"Iraq War was an armed conflict between Iran and Iraq lasting from 22 September 1980, when Iraq invaded Iran, to August 1988. ) This invasion followed a long history of border disputes as well as religious conflicts. There was an intense fear if Shia Muslim insurgency, which had been influenced by the Iranian Revolution. (Wikipedia: The war followed a long history of border disputes, and was motivated by fears that the Iranian Revolution in 1979 would inspire insurgency among Iraq's long-suppressed Shi'i majority, as well as Iraq's desire to replace Iran as the dominant Persian Gulf state.)

Much of the conflict in the Iran-Iraq War debate has to do with the support that the United States offered to the nation of Iraq. This backing began in 1982. Ronald Reagan decided that the US could not afford to let Iraq lose the war because of the oil the US was receiving from this nation. In order to keep Iraq from losing, the United States began sending equipment, medical supplies, and communications devices to Iraq. This soon escalated to the point where American soldiers were fighting on the Iraqi side.

The United States took several military actions against Iran. Efforts were focused on isolating the nation as well as maintaining freedom of navigation in the surrounding waters. During Operation Earnest Will, the United States attacked oil platforms on Iranian territory. The US also sends its Navy into the nation's harbors and destroyed several Iranian gunboats and helicopters. The US did make one large blunder in its attacks. In 1988, United States' forces shot down a civilian aircraft that belonged to Iran. The Iranians maintained that this plane had been kept above national waters, but United States' forces insisted that it was in international waters and was mistaken for a military plane.
Opposing Views of the War

The United States used a lot of resources and sacrificed a lot of lives during the Iran-Iraq War. Opinions vary as to whether or not this sacrifice was justified. Economic downturn was experienced as a result, so many living at this time saw the war as a wasted effort. Also, at the end of the war, Kuwait began to produce more oil. This kept the economy of Iraq down and also gave the United States another fuel source, thus undermining the purpose of joining the war.

The Iran-Iraq War debate remains to this day a heated matter of public opinion. Several things, however, remain facts. Wars are always deadly and conflicts should be resolved in peaceful ways whenever possible.
========================

now, as you can see, not only Iraq attacked Iran first, but was aided by US and many other countries (around 80 countries to be exact, including Soviet Union which was the other superpower of that time) and was provided with chemical components to create chemical weaponry which he deployed against Iranian troops as well as his own people)

https://en.wikipedia.org...

I suggest stop lying and falsifying at least in the big issues. people can research.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 10:08:25 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/24/2016 8:04:04 AM, lightseeker wrote:
hello. in the big issues there is a topic called "History and Debate of Iran-Iraq War"
http://www.debate.org...
I was just casually reading this and being a Persian and knowing what had actually happened, saw a bunch of obvious mistakes that was intentionally added to the text.
now before reading that topic, just take a quick look at it's source (provided below) to be able to compare these two together.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

okay, in the Iran-Iraq war debate we read:
The Iran-Iraq war was an armed conflict between the nations of Iraq and Iran. This was also known in the United States as the First Persian Gulf War and lasted from September of 1980 until August of 1988. The war began when Iran invaded Iraq both by air and on land on September 22, 1980. (compare this with Wikipedia: The Iran"Iraq War was an armed conflict between Iran and Iraq lasting from 22 September 1980, when Iraq invaded Iran, to August 1988. ) This invasion followed a long history of border disputes as well as religious conflicts. There was an intense fear if Shia Muslim insurgency, which had been influenced by the Iranian Revolution. (Wikipedia: The war followed a long history of border disputes, and was motivated by fears that the Iranian Revolution in 1979 would inspire insurgency among Iraq's long-suppressed Shi'i majority, as well as Iraq's desire to replace Iran as the dominant Persian Gulf state.)

Much of the conflict in the Iran-Iraq War debate has to do with the support that the United States offered to the nation of Iraq. This backing began in 1982. Ronald Reagan decided that the US could not afford to let Iraq lose the war because of the oil the US was receiving from this nation. In order to keep Iraq from losing, the United States began sending equipment, medical supplies, and communications devices to Iraq. This soon escalated to the point where American soldiers were fighting on the Iraqi side.

The United States took several military actions against Iran. Efforts were focused on isolating the nation as well as maintaining freedom of navigation in the surrounding waters. During Operation Earnest Will, the United States attacked oil platforms on Iranian territory. The US also sends its Navy into the nation's harbors and destroyed several Iranian gunboats and helicopters. The US did make one large blunder in its attacks. In 1988, United States' forces shot down a civilian aircraft that belonged to Iran. The Iranians maintained that this plane had been kept above national waters, but United States' forces insisted that it was in international waters and was mistaken for a military plane.
Opposing Views of the War

The United States used a lot of resources and sacrificed a lot of lives during the Iran-Iraq War. Opinions vary as to whether or not this sacrifice was justified. Economic downturn was experienced as a result, so many living at this time saw the war as a wasted effort. Also, at the end of the war, Kuwait began to produce more oil. This kept the economy of Iraq down and also gave the United States another fuel source, thus undermining the purpose of joining the war.

The Iran-Iraq War debate remains to this day a heated matter of public opinion. Several things, however, remain facts. Wars are always deadly and conflicts should be resolved in peaceful ways whenever possible.
========================

now, as you can see, not only Iraq attacked Iran first, but was aided by US and many other countries (around 80 countries to be exact, including Soviet Union which was the other superpower of that time) and was provided with chemical components to create chemical weaponry which he deployed against Iranian troops as well as his own people)

https://en.wikipedia.org...

I suggest stop lying and falsifying at least in the big issues. people can research.

People that enjoy history such as myself know this already. Nobody else will care.

What's your point? Current American posturing towards Iran? Both governments speak ill of each other while many people get along just fine.

Want to revise something? Revise Buenos Aires circa 1994.
lightseeker
Posts: 1,024
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 10:57:01 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/24/2016 10:08:25 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/24/2016 8:04:04 AM, lightseeker wrote:
hello. in the big issues there is a topic called "History and Debate of Iran-Iraq War"
http://www.debate.org...
I was just casually reading this and being a Persian and knowing what had actually happened, saw a bunch of obvious mistakes that was intentionally added to the text.
now before reading that topic, just take a quick look at it's source (provided below) to be able to compare these two together.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

okay, in the Iran-Iraq war debate we read:
The Iran-Iraq war was an armed conflict between the nations of Iraq and Iran. This was also known in the United States as the First Persian Gulf War and lasted from September of 1980 until August of 1988. The war began when Iran invaded Iraq both by air and on land on September 22, 1980. (compare this with Wikipedia: The Iran"Iraq War was an armed conflict between Iran and Iraq lasting from 22 September 1980, when Iraq invaded Iran, to August 1988. ) This invasion followed a long history of border disputes as well as religious conflicts. There was an intense fear if Shia Muslim insurgency, which had been influenced by the Iranian Revolution. (Wikipedia: The war followed a long history of border disputes, and was motivated by fears that the Iranian Revolution in 1979 would inspire insurgency among Iraq's long-suppressed Shi'i majority, as well as Iraq's desire to replace Iran as the dominant Persian Gulf state.)

Much of the conflict in the Iran-Iraq War debate has to do with the support that the United States offered to the nation of Iraq. This backing began in 1982. Ronald Reagan decided that the US could not afford to let Iraq lose the war because of the oil the US was receiving from this nation. In order to keep Iraq from losing, the United States began sending equipment, medical supplies, and communications devices to Iraq. This soon escalated to the point where American soldiers were fighting on the Iraqi side.

The United States took several military actions against Iran. Efforts were focused on isolating the nation as well as maintaining freedom of navigation in the surrounding waters. During Operation Earnest Will, the United States attacked oil platforms on Iranian territory. The US also sends its Navy into the nation's harbors and destroyed several Iranian gunboats and helicopters. The US did make one large blunder in its attacks. In 1988, United States' forces shot down a civilian aircraft that belonged to Iran. The Iranians maintained that this plane had been kept above national waters, but United States' forces insisted that it was in international waters and was mistaken for a military plane.
Opposing Views of the War

The United States used a lot of resources and sacrificed a lot of lives during the Iran-Iraq War. Opinions vary as to whether or not this sacrifice was justified. Economic downturn was experienced as a result, so many living at this time saw the war as a wasted effort. Also, at the end of the war, Kuwait began to produce more oil. This kept the economy of Iraq down and also gave the United States another fuel source, thus undermining the purpose of joining the war.

The Iran-Iraq War debate remains to this day a heated matter of public opinion. Several things, however, remain facts. Wars are always deadly and conflicts should be resolved in peaceful ways whenever possible.
========================

now, as you can see, not only Iraq attacked Iran first, but was aided by US and many other countries (around 80 countries to be exact, including Soviet Union which was the other superpower of that time) and was provided with chemical components to create chemical weaponry which he deployed against Iranian troops as well as his own people)

https://en.wikipedia.org...

I suggest stop lying and falsifying at least in the big issues. people can research.

People that enjoy history such as myself know this already. Nobody else will care.

What's your point? Current American posturing towards Iran? Both governments speak ill of each other while many people get along just fine.

Want to revise something? Revise Buenos Aires circa 1994.

sorry dear, but that's a pretty weak and stupid logic you have there.
so it's OK to lie on one of the big issues since you don't care?
if it was a casual issue then it wouldn't be listed on the big issues section.
it was purposefully made wrong in order to demonize and falsify.
also, why don't you check these links which shows how US navy targeted and attacked an Iranian passenger plane?

https://www.washingtonpost.com...
https://en.wikipedia.org...
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 11:30:23 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/24/2016 10:57:01 AM, lightseeker wrote:
At 11/24/2016 10:08:25 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/24/2016 8:04:04 AM, lightseeker wrote:
hello. in the big issues there is a topic called "History and Debate of Iran-Iraq War"
http://www.debate.org...
I was just casually reading this and being a Persian and knowing what had actually happened, saw a bunch of obvious mistakes that was intentionally added to the text.
now before reading that topic, just take a quick look at it's source (provided below) to be able to compare these two together.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

okay, in the Iran-Iraq war debate we read:
The Iran-Iraq war was an armed conflict between the nations of Iraq and Iran. This was also known in the United States as the First Persian Gulf War and lasted from September of 1980 until August of 1988. The war began when Iran invaded Iraq both by air and on land on September 22, 1980. (compare this with Wikipedia: The Iran"Iraq War was an armed conflict between Iran and Iraq lasting from 22 September 1980, when Iraq invaded Iran, to August 1988. ) This invasion followed a long history of border disputes as well as religious conflicts. There was an intense fear if Shia Muslim insurgency, which had been influenced by the Iranian Revolution. (Wikipedia: The war followed a long history of border disputes, and was motivated by fears that the Iranian Revolution in 1979 would inspire insurgency among Iraq's long-suppressed Shi'i majority, as well as Iraq's desire to replace Iran as the dominant Persian Gulf state.)

Much of the conflict in the Iran-Iraq War debate has to do with the support that the United States offered to the nation of Iraq. This backing began in 1982. Ronald Reagan decided that the US could not afford to let Iraq lose the war because of the oil the US was receiving from this nation. In order to keep Iraq from losing, the United States began sending equipment, medical supplies, and communications devices to Iraq. This soon escalated to the point where American soldiers were fighting on the Iraqi side.

The United States took several military actions against Iran. Efforts were focused on isolating the nation as well as maintaining freedom of navigation in the surrounding waters. During Operation Earnest Will, the United States attacked oil platforms on Iranian territory. The US also sends its Navy into the nation's harbors and destroyed several Iranian gunboats and helicopters. The US did make one large blunder in its attacks. In 1988, United States' forces shot down a civilian aircraft that belonged to Iran. The Iranians maintained that this plane had been kept above national waters, but United States' forces insisted that it was in international waters and was mistaken for a military plane.
Opposing Views of the War

The United States used a lot of resources and sacrificed a lot of lives during the Iran-Iraq War. Opinions vary as to whether or not this sacrifice was justified. Economic downturn was experienced as a result, so many living at this time saw the war as a wasted effort. Also, at the end of the war, Kuwait began to produce more oil. This kept the economy of Iraq down and also gave the United States another fuel source, thus undermining the purpose of joining the war.

The Iran-Iraq War debate remains to this day a heated matter of public opinion. Several things, however, remain facts. Wars are always deadly and conflicts should be resolved in peaceful ways whenever possible.
========================

now, as you can see, not only Iraq attacked Iran first, but was aided by US and many other countries (around 80 countries to be exact, including Soviet Union which was the other superpower of that time) and was provided with chemical components to create chemical weaponry which he deployed against Iranian troops as well as his own people)

https://en.wikipedia.org...

I suggest stop lying and falsifying at least in the big issues. people can research.

People that enjoy history such as myself know this already. Nobody else will care.

What's your point? Current American posturing towards Iran? Both governments speak ill of each other while many people get along just fine.

Want to revise something? Revise Buenos Aires circa 1994.

sorry dear, but that's a pretty weak and stupid logic you have there.
so it's OK to lie on one of the big issues since you don't care?
if it was a casual issue then it wouldn't be listed on the big issues section.
it was purposefully made wrong in order to demonize and falsify.
also, why don't you check these links which shows how US navy targeted and attacked an Iranian passenger plane?

https://www.washingtonpost.com...
https://en.wikipedia.org...

Are you a moron? I don't dispute ANY of the contentions that Iraq was the aggressor, orour navy did shoot down a passenger craft in error. However revisionist the 'big issue piece is doesn't reflect history (again, something you glossed over).

It's easy to see what you are trying to paint. Personally, I have no antipathy towards Iran as ive studied history. However, the leadership there is not without many of its own warts. E.g. Israeli embassy bombing in Buenos Aires. Read that revision on wiki
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 2:00:12 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
What happened was the Ayatola and his friends revolted and took over the country. They changed from an ally of the USA to an enemy. Since Iran no longer had assistance the US. Saddam Hussein thought Iraq could take Iran, and started a war.