Jump to topic:

Forgotten impact of 2016 election

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 9:41:55 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
With all the talk of Trump's upset, many people aren't focusing on Puerto Rico - even less than usual. But this just might be the chance statehood advocates were looking for.

Puerto Rico elected a Republican, Jenniffer Gonzalez, as their Resident Commissioner. The Resident Commissioner is a non-voting delegate to Congress and serves a four-year term. Gonzalez is a member of the pro-statehood New Progressive Party (NPP). Additionally, the NPP secured a win in the governor's race with Ricardo Rossello. Russello is apparently a Democrat, but is extremely conservative relative to national Democrats. He's socially conservative and is willing to make massive cuts to public spending - a major hang-up to Republican leaders, who are concerned by the financial crisis there - to do it. In effect, he's a fiscal conservative. http://latino.foxnews.com...)

Of course, Trump and the GOP have to support statehood for it to happen... and they do, conditionally. And with leaders like Gonzalez and Rossello emerging, they might have reason to think Puerto Rico might not be as blue a state as once thought. A vast majority of Puerto Ricans are religious, including a majority that are Catholic. The cosmopolitan, coastal social liberalism of the modern Democratic Party doesn't sell well. That being said, Trumpism doesn't either. Puerto Rico voting Republican would be a stretch - but being a blue lock? It's not entirely likely either.

In effect: Puerto Rican leaders are well-positioned to promote statehood. With a governor who wants to cut spending and become a state, and a Republican delegate being elected, Republicans might be more receptive to their voice.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 9:53:24 PM
At 11/25/2016 9:41:55 PM, TN05 wrote:
With all the talk of Trump's upset, many people aren't focusing on Puerto Rico - even less than usual. But this just might be the chance statehood advocates were looking for.

Puerto Rico elected a Republican, Jenniffer Gonzalez, as their Resident Commissioner. The Resident Commissioner is a non-voting delegate to Congress and serves a four-year term. Gonzalez is a member of the pro-statehood New Progressive Party (NPP). Additionally, the NPP secured a win in the governor's race with Ricardo Rossello. Russello is apparently a Democrat, but is extremely conservative relative to national Democrats. He's socially conservative and is willing to make massive cuts to public spending - a major hang-up to Republican leaders, who are concerned by the financial crisis there - to do it. In effect, he's a fiscal conservative. http://latino.foxnews.com...)

Of course, Trump and the GOP have to support statehood for it to happen... and they do, conditionally. And with leaders like Gonzalez and Rossello emerging, they might have reason to think Puerto Rico might not be as blue a state as once thought. A vast majority of Puerto Ricans are religious, including a majority that are Catholic. The cosmopolitan, coastal social liberalism of the modern Democratic Party doesn't sell well. That being said, Trumpism doesn't either. Puerto Rico voting Republican would be a stretch - but being a blue lock? It's not entirely likely either.

In effect: Puerto Rican leaders are well-positioned to promote statehood. With a governor who wants to cut spending and become a state, and a Republican delegate being elected, Republicans might be more receptive to their voice.

Not gonna happen. I'm not going to go through all of section 3 clause 2 but it's stacked against.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 10:42:31 PM
I hope that the US cuts them loose to be an independent nation. We have absolutely nothing to gain by keeping it as a colony and less still by admitting it as a state
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 10:42:40 PM
At 11/25/2016 9:59:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Right, we need to incorporate even more 3rd world cultures...why?

^^^
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 10:46:11 PM
At 11/25/2016 10:42:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
I hope that the US cuts them loose to be an independent nation. We have absolutely nothing to gain by keeping it as a colony and less still by admitting it as a state

They already have the best of both worlds. Everyone is an american citizen, with completely autonomous rule. Everyone that truly wanted statehood has already moved to one of the 50 to choose from.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 10:55:25 PM
At 11/25/2016 10:42:40 PM, thett3 wrote:

^^^

Okay this is too harsh, but I really hope this doesn't happen. What's the point? Two more democratic senators, several more house members and more electoral votes for the democrats? No thanks...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 10:55:51 PM
At 11/25/2016 10:46:11 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

They already have the best of both worlds. Everyone is an american citizen, with completely autonomous rule. Everyone that truly wanted statehood has already moved to one of the 50 to choose from.

It's an amazing deal for them, but I really don't see what we get out of it
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 10:55:52 PM

Not going to happen. Only 2% of Puerto Ricans want independence and Puerto Ricans here would raise hell, not to mention that would strip 3.7 million Americans of citizenship. The most likely scenario is that it stays a territory. No reason not to have it, really - it's of strategic interest.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 10:58:27 PM
At 11/25/2016 10:55:51 PM, thett3 wrote:

It's an amazing deal for them, but I really don't see what we get out of it

A base in Carribean, more troops for military. Internal carribean trading partner. International waters.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 10:59:32 PM
At 11/25/2016 10:55:25 PM, thett3 wrote:

^^^

Okay this is too harsh, but I really hope this doesn't happen. What's the point? Two more democratic senators, several more house members and more electoral votes for the democrats? No thanks...

You'd love Puerto ricans. Extreme social conservatives, economic liberals. Basically Steve Bannon.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 11:36:19 PM
At 11/25/2016 10:59:32 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 11/25/2016 10:55:25 PM, thett3 wrote:

^^^

You'd love Puerto ricans. Extreme social conservatives, economic liberals. Basically Steve Bannon.

Yea I feel bad. But I'm still pretty sure it would be overwhelmingly democratic
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 2:38:39 AM

Commonwealth status... the sovereign ;)
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 2:39:34 AM
At 11/25/2016 10:55:52 PM, TN05 wrote:

Not going to happen. Only 2% of Puerto Ricans want independence and Puerto Ricans here would raise hell, not to mention that would strip 3.7 million Americans of citizenship. The most likely scenario is that it stays a territory. No reason not to have it, really - it's of strategic interest.

It's a commonwealth. Territory has different legalities.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 2:40:23 AM

Commonwealth. There is no legal American entity called colony.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 3:00:54 AM

^ This much is true. If Puerto Rico becomes a state then it immediately ranks near the bottom of every category in terms of education, income, earnings, etc. Puerto Rico as a state turns into a money pit that we cant just walk out on like we try to do with Iraq and Afghanistan. Its far better to cut them loose and let them rewrite any laws they need to in order to handle their debt
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015