Jump to topic:

Americans are terrorists

MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 7:37:32 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
I couldn't help but read an article today that informs Americans they will be continuing to fight the war on terrorism. What is terrorism anyways? Was this country not founded on terrorism? Americans call their founding fathers patriots instead of terrorists. Can't you see the brainwashing? One man's terrorist is another man's patriot.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 7:42:01 PM
At 11/26/2016 7:37:32 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
I couldn't help but read an article today that informs Americans they will be continuing to fight the war on terrorism. What is terrorism anyways? Was this country not founded on terrorism? Americans call their founding fathers patriots instead of terrorists. Can't you see the brainwashing? One man's terrorist is another man's patriot.

Terrorism is the use or threat of violence, especially using fear-causing methods, by a substate actor against a peoples or government in attempt to achieve political/social goals. Civil wars do not count as terrorism.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 7:46:24 PM
At 11/26/2016 7:42:01 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Terrorism is the use or threat of violence, especially using fear-causing methods, by a substate actor against a peoples or government in attempt to achieve political/social goals. Civil wars do not count as terrorism.

The article I read today pertained specifically to the terrorism in Syria. Syria is in the middle of a civil war that in truth has become a proxy war, or was, because we are now directly involved in Syria. We have troops on the ground in Syria and have been bombing the crap out of them for some time now. Are we not terrorists?
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 7:49:18 PM
At 11/26/2016 7:46:24 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

The article I read today pertained specifically to the terrorism in Syria. Syria is in the middle of a civil war that in truth has become a proxy war, or was, because we are now directly involved in Syria. We have troops on the ground in Syria and have been bombing the crap out of them for some time now. Are we not terrorists?

BTW becoming independent from England can not be seen as a civil war. It was a war of some terrorists wishing to create their own government free from being taxed by the British. Except we still pay tax to the British if you take the time to follow the money.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 7:49:26 PM

No because the definition does not apply to us. We are not a substate actor, we are not trying to achieve a typical terrorist goal, and we aren't trying to psychologically influence anyone through fear. The Free Syrian Army is also not considered to be a terrorist organization because, as part of the definition, they are part of a civil war.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 7:50:47 PM
At 11/26/2016 7:49:18 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

BTW becoming independent from England can not be seen as a civil war. It was a war of some terrorists wishing to create their own government free from being taxed by the British. Except we still pay tax to the British if you take the time to follow the money.

Revolution and civil war are used interchangeably in this context. The Patriots, by this definition, were not a terrorist organization.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:01:59 PM
At 11/26/2016 7:50:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Revolution and civil war are used interchangeably in this context. The Patriots, by this definition, were not a terrorist organization.

Your listed definition of what a terrorist is seems to have described the patriots exactly. The patriots used fear-causing methods against their controllers for attempts of political and social changes. We are now attempting to make political and social changes all over the Middle East. How can we not be seen as terrorists?
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:05:55 PM
At 11/26/2016 8:01:59 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Your listed definition of what a terrorist is seems to have described the patriots exactly. The patriots used fear-causing methods against their controllers for attempts of political and social changes. We are now attempting to make political and social changes all over the Middle East. How can we not be seen as terrorists?

From others eyes, yes we are seen as terrorists. It's why I hate the word.

The quote you used is actually 'one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter'. Been around awhile.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:06:34 PM

No, the Patriots were not a terrorist organization. Re-read the definition. Civil War and revolution are used interchangeably (insurgency is not). And their main methods were not psychological influence through fear (unless you consider acts of conflict against a military force "fear", and if you do then you are just objectively wrong).

We are not. We are targeting terrorist organizations. We are not targeting any government their nor any civilian population in order to influence them. Believing that we are is just factually inaccurate. Also, re-read the definition again. The United States is not a substate actor.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:31:22 PM
At 11/26/2016 8:06:34 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

No, the Patriots were not a terrorist organization. Re-read the definition. Civil War and revolution are used interchangeably (insurgency is not). And their main methods were not psychological influence through fear (unless you consider acts of conflict against a military force "fear", and if you do then you are just objectively wrong).

If the U.S military is fighting terrorists, and these terrorist are attacking the military because the American military is overseas trying g to unseat a government they do not like, can the American not be seen now as terrorists? I've personally had molitov cocktails thrown at me by civilians because they did not want me in their country. Yeah, welcome to my first week in Korea. So we killed some little Korean girls. No big deal. We're there to help them. We also engaged in psychological warfare against the North by blasting them day and night with speakers the size of buildings, blaring non<x>stop songs from Metallica. I hate Metallica. Speaks tall as 3-storey buildings creating one non<x>stop concert of psychological warefar, and you wonder why the North thinks we're sadistic. America is the Great Satan as Iran would say. It's true. We are doing Satans work all over the world in creating his one-world government. Patriots for Satan. Terrorist to Jesus. The brainwashing runs deep within you. You would say we were in Afghanistan to fight terrorist. But what we were really doing was taking over control of the poppy fields. They told us we were taking the drug money away from terrorist, but after we took control of the country or most of the country, the poppy fields began to increase exponentially each year after. If you spoke out against what we were doing, you would "accidentally" get shot in the back, or if lucky like me, you would simply get discharged. We created this world on terror by becoming terrorist. We attacked ourselves in 911 and blamed it on others. You think a couple of monkeys living in a cave could actually pull this off? Kite. Plane. Terrorist. Sarasota.

We are not. We are targeting terrorist organizations. We are not targeting any government their nor any civilian population in order to influence them. Believing that we are is just factually inaccurate. Also, re-read the definition again. The United States is not a substate actor.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:31:24 PM

If the U.S military is fighting terrorists, and these terrorist are attacking the military because the American military is overseas trying g to unseat a government they do not like, can the American not be seen now as terrorists? I've personally had molitov cocktails thrown at me by civilians because they did not want me in their country. Yeah, welcome to my first week in Korea. So we killed some little Korean girls. No big deal. We're there to help them. We also engaged in psychological warfare against the North by blasting them day and night with speakers the size of buildings, blaring non<x>stop songs from Metallica. I hate Metallica. Speaks tall as 3-storey buildings creating one non<x>stop concert of psychological warefar, and you wonder why the North thinks we're sadistic. America is the Great Satan as Iran would say. It's true. We are doing Satans work all over the world in creating his one-world government. Patriots for Satan. Terrorist to Jesus. The brainwashing runs deep within you. You would say we were in Afghanistan to fight terrorist. But what we were really doing was taking over control of the poppy fields. They told us we were taking the drug money away from terrorist, but after we took control of the country or most of the country, the poppy fields began to increase exponentially each year after. If you spoke out against what we were doing, you would "accidentally" get shot in the back, or if lucky like me, you would simply get discharged. We created this world on terror by becoming terrorist. We attacked ourselves in 911 and blamed it on others. You think a couple of monkeys living in a cave could actually pull this off? Kite. Plane. Terrorist. Sarasota.

MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:42:52 PM
At 11/26/2016 8:05:55 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

The quote you used is actually 'one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter'. Been around awhile.

The word was created for brainwashing. It was a way of belittling the act of geurrilla warfare. We use this tactic all the time, but when it's used against us it's called an act of terror. Obviously the small guy cannot fight the big guy head on. The "patriots" of the American revolution used geurrilla warfare against the British because they were outnumbered. They were seen as terrorist by the British, but recorded as Patriots today. When the American barracks were bombed in Lebanon, they were called terrorists. The people of Lebanon did not see these people as terrorists. To them they were heroes.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:46:40 PM
At 11/26/2016 8:42:52 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

The word was created for brainwashing. It was a way of belittling the act of geurrilla warfare. We use this tactic all the time, but when it's used against us it's called an act of terror. Obviously the small guy cannot fight the big guy head on. The "patriots" of the American revolution used geurrilla warfare against the British because they were outnumbered. They were seen as terrorist by the British, but recorded as Patriots today. When the American barracks were bombed in Lebanon, they were called terrorists. The people of Lebanon did not see these people as terrorists. To them they were heroes.

Yep. War on terror? Nope. Irks me.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:52:46 PM

The Founding Fathers didn't plant bombs at civilian gatherings with the intent of killing as many innocent people as they possibly could.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 8:59:13 PM
At 11/26/2016 8:46:40 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

The Cold War ended. Somebody had to create a new enemy to keep the war machine working. The war on terror was genius. Create an enemy that nobody can see, but let them think it exists. It does exist to an extent. But it only exists because we created it. ISIS came out of nowhere which is suspicious since we controlled Iraq at the time. How could we have been caught off guard when everything gets monitored closely? I can't even take a piss without the NSA recording it.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 9:04:02 PM
At 11/26/2016 8:52:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The Founding Fathers didn't plant bombs at civilian gatherings with the intent of killing as many innocent people as they possibly could.

Depending on how tight or loose...

The Gaspee affair
Looting and burning governor hutchinsons residence
Boston tea party
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 9:06:58 PM
At 11/26/2016 8:59:13 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

The Cold War ended. Somebody had to create a new enemy to keep the war machine working. The war on terror was genius. Create an enemy that nobody can see, but let them think it exists. It does exist to an extent. But it only exists because we created it. ISIS came out of nowhere which is suspicious since we controlled Iraq at the time. How could we have been caught off guard when everything gets monitored closely? I can't even take a piss without the NSA recording it.

To be fair we were laissez faire till 9-11. There was no conspiracy there and please don't go into the jet fuel bringing down steel girder stuff.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 9:10:31 PM
At 11/26/2016 8:52:46 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Did you know the original 911 report, reported the act of terrorism to have been an inside job? So they had to scrap it to create another report that lied. It was obviously a controlled demolition. Obviously no plane can crash into the pentagon the way they said it did. Two thousand pilots testified to that, saying it was impossible for a plane to take such a trajectory. I one had the actually video of a missle being fired into the building. We kill our own civilians all the time. We made the Japanese attack peril harbor and never warned the civilians and soldiers of the attack. We wanted civilians to die and soldiers to die so we could go to war. False flags. We use false flags all the time to go to war. We are terrorist. We terrorize ourselves and blame it on the people we want to kill. We dropped two atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki after Japan had been defeated. They literally wanted to surrender but we had other plans. We needed human data on the effects of our newly created weapon. America is run by some very sick and secretive individuals. It's a secret society of sickness. They need to go. They need to be rooted out so humanity can begin to flourish instead of the rich getting rich and the poor remaining slaves.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 9:17:14 PM
At 11/26/2016 9:06:58 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/26/2016 8:59:13 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

To be fair we were laissez faire till 9-11. There was no conspiracy there and please don't go into the jet fuel bringing down steel girder stuff.

Yeah jet fuel can't melt steel. Most of that fuel would have been burned up in the initial explosion. Nah. We painted those beams with nanothermite. We basically nanonuked it and threw dummies out the window so you would think they were real humans who happened to somehow survive the explosion. Slight of hand. You got played. We evacuated the mall in the basement and limited the casualties to get everyone onboard with the plan. The one guy who was specifically targeted to di was the guy in charge of tracking Osama. He retired and started his new job as head of security for the wt, and died on his very first day on the job.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 9:18:28 PM

You can call it whatever you want to call it. It doesn't really matter. What matters is whether or not it should be done.

We're not under any obligation to defend the conduct of the founding fathers. If they did something wrong, then it was wrong.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 10:08:22 AM
At 11/26/2016 7:49:26 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

No because the definition does not apply to us. We are not a substate actor, we are not trying to achieve a typical terrorist goal, and we aren't trying to psychologically influence anyone through fear.

Are you sure about that? The 'war on terror' is almost entirely based on psychologically influencing people through fear; firstly the U.S created a false enemy to mask its agenda and then intentionally tried to use this so-called enemy to scare and exert influence over people through fear...that's exactly what most wars involving the U.S have been about.

The Free Syrian Army is also not considered to be a terrorist organization because, as part of the definition, they are part of a civil war.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 10:35:40 AM

We are not. We are targeting terrorist organizations. We are not targeting any government their nor any civilian population in order to influence them.

The ignorance of your statement is just astounding. The U.S has a long and extensive history of direct involvement with regime and governmental change-far back to the 19th century; some its most recent 'projects' include Afghanistan (2001), Iraq (2003), Haiti (2004), Iran (2005), Somalia (2007), Libya (2011), and Syria...whose government they've been attempting to overthrow since 2011.

There's also the example of the Ukraine, which the U.S has (politically) interfered with heavily in recent years.

Believing that we are is just factually inaccurate. Also, re-read the definition again. The United States is not a substate actor.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

KnowledgeBot5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 5:16:04 PM
i have yet to hear of an american war monger strapping a set of bombs to to his/her childs chest and telling them march on into someones hotel for a meet and great with santa- have you? however, we do have quite a few crazies here- like the fella down south that attacked and ate that homeless mans face, like the entire membership of KKK folks whose entire left side of their brains are missing and worse, the millions of americans who side with the KKK, but don't have the balls to join them (or who have a pinch of common sense not to) Oya, we also have those "white nationalists" who almost instantly forgot where they came from and who was here 1st- The worst part of all of this, is as smart as we claim to be, we apparently are not smart enough to figure out how to get along between races, religions and nations.. maybe class and greed are at fault?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 5:29:31 PM
At 11/27/2016 5:16:04 PM, KnowledgeBot5 wrote:
i have yet to hear of an american war monger strapping a set of bombs to to his/her childs chest and telling them march on into someones hotel for a meet and great with santa- have you?

There's different forms of terrorism.

however, we do have quite a few crazies here- like the fella down south that attacked and ate that homeless mans face, like the entire membership of KKK folks whose entire left side of their brains are missing and worse, the millions of americans who side with the KKK, but don't have the balls to join them (or who have a pinch of common sense not to) Oya, we also have those "white nationalists" who almost instantly forgot where they came from and who was here 1st- The worst part of all of this, is as smart as we claim to be, we apparently are not smart enough to figure out how to get along between races, religions and nations.. maybe class and greed are at fault?

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 7:01:19 PM
At 11/27/2016 10:35:40 AM, Emilrose wrote:

We are not. We are targeting terrorist organizations. We are not targeting any government their nor any civilian population in order to influence them.

The ignorance of your statement is just astounding. The U.S has a long and extensive history of direct involvement with regime and governmental change-far back to the 19th century; some its most recent 'projects' include Afghanistan (2001), Iraq (2003), Haiti (2004), Iran (2005), Somalia (2007), Libya (2011), and Syria...whose government they've been attempting to overthrow since 2011.

There's also the example of the Ukraine, which the U.S has (politically) interfered with heavily in recent years.

Believing that we are is just factually inaccurate. Also, re-read the definition again. The United States is not a substate actor.

Those are acts of war done by the United States, not acts of terrorism.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 7:02:26 PM
At 11/27/2016 10:08:22 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/26/2016 7:49:26 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

No because the definition does not apply to us. We are not a substate actor, we are not trying to achieve a typical terrorist goal, and we aren't trying to psychologically influence anyone through fear.

Are you sure about that? The 'war on terror' is almost entirely based on psychologically influencing people through fear; firstly the U.S created a false enemy to mask its agenda and then intentionally tried to use this so-called enemy to scare and exert influence over people through fear...that's exactly what most wars involving the U.S have been about.

The Free Syrian Army is also not considered to be a terrorist organization because, as part of the definition, they are part of a civil war.

You can apply what you said to every state that ever engaged in war. The United States is not a substate actor and thus not a terrorist organization.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 10:09:54 PM

Very close. That's a 95% answer.

Terrorism is the *unlawful* use of violence or the threat of violence by non-state actors for the purpose of causing mass fear to achieve political and/or social goals. And you are right that civil wars do not count as terrorism.

Now, obviously the definition of terrorism is highly contentious. What counts for lawful, unlawful or somewhere in between is also contentious. For example, state actors tend to believe that their actions are legitimate because they do them, but other states may or may not agree with that.
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 10:20:27 PM
At 11/27/2016 10:09:54 PM, YYW wrote:

Terrorism is the *unlawful* use of violence or the threat of violence by non-state actors for the purpose of causing mass fear to achieve political and/or social goals. And you are right that civil wars do not count as terrorism.

Now, obviously the definition of terrorism is highly contentious. What counts for lawful, unlawful or somewhere in between is also contentious. For example, state actors tend to believe that their actions are legitimate because they do them, but other states may or may not agree with that.

There's no law in war.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 11:00:17 PM
At 11/27/2016 10:20:27 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 11/27/2016 10:09:54 PM, YYW wrote:

There's no law in war.

Not according to the idiot signees of the Geneva Convention.

And before any noncombatant says 'but...' we trained as if the enemy would not abide by them. :)