Jump to topic:

Education - Taxation with no Benefit.

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 7:09:26 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
I was thinking about the education system and how a lot of people end up paying for something they'll never benefit from. If you pay income and property tax in your state, and you send your children to private school, you ought not have to pay taxes for a service you are providing your kids yourself and will never receive the benefit of by the state. Only a handful of states offer tax deductions at the moment for parents who want to put their kids through a better education system. Why??? Stand up for yourselves people. Everyone wants better education. We should stop giving the state an unequal advantage for providing sub-par standards, and allow the private sector the opportunity to compete by eliminating parents' need to pay for education twice through tax deductions.

Why on earth are people okay to keep public education funding on a local level this day in age? That means if you grow up poor, your "safety net" school is poor. It can't pay the best staff enough to hang onto them, or fund advantageous programs for your success, or in some cases even buy all of the books the kids need. This creates political chaos in the school districts from unhappy parents, who will mistakenly pressure good teachers to seek a better work environment. We have all of this talk of "racial inequality", and by happenstance do nothing about the tax system that is working against the groups that start and live poor, like say....a class derived from freed slaves. This is literally the BIGGEST contributing factor to opportunity in America, and we ignore it, and complain about 'racial inequality', coincidentally with these oppressed races residing heavily in poor urban environments of lacking education. Its disheartening that millions just sit around like a bunch of cows in the heard bitching about their problems with systematic racism (that's fine, but...), when we have an obvious, measurable, preventable, real system of perpetual inequality that we can do something about. I am constantly in awe that federal politicians claim they will somehow overcome this lacking state level service, and people just buy it because, I don't know....It sounds good doesn't it?

The current government practices are insufficient, provide regressive funding, and yet have the ability to stack the deck in their favor against better options. Open the floodgates of your state and allow winning formulas to succeed wherever you live. We could go much deeper, but at the very least, competition is what your public school system needs, and what our private institutions are already living on.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 9:56:59 PM
The taxpayer himself once benefited from public school education, did he not?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 10:31:47 PM
At 11/28/2016 7:09:26 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I was thinking about the education system and how a lot of people end up paying for something they'll never benefit from. If you pay income and property tax in your state, and you send your children to private school, you ought not have to pay taxes for a service you are providing your kids yourself and will never receive the benefit of by the state. Only a handful of states offer tax deductions at the moment for parents who want to put their kids through a better education system. Why??? Stand up for yourselves people. Everyone wants better education. We should stop giving the state an unequal advantage for providing sub-par standards, and allow the private sector the opportunity to compete by eliminating parents' need to pay for education twice through tax deductions.

Why on earth are people okay to keep public education funding on a local level this day in age? That means if you grow up poor, your "safety net" school is poor. It can't pay the best staff enough to hang onto them, or fund advantageous programs for your success, or in some cases even buy all of the books the kids need. This creates political chaos in the school districts from unhappy parents, who will mistakenly pressure good teachers to seek a better work environment. We have all of this talk of "racial inequality", and by happenstance do nothing about the tax system that is working against the groups that start and live poor, like say....a class derived from freed slaves. This is literally the BIGGEST contributing factor to opportunity in America, and we ignore it, and complain about 'racial inequality', coincidentally with these oppressed races residing heavily in poor urban environments of lacking education. Its disheartening that millions just sit around like a bunch of cows in the heard bitching about their problems with systematic racism (that's fine, but...), when we have an obvious, measurable, preventable, real system of perpetual inequality that we can do something about. I am constantly in awe that federal politicians claim they will somehow overcome this lacking state level service, and people just buy it because, I don't know....It sounds good doesn't it?

The current government practices are insufficient, provide regressive funding, and yet have the ability to stack the deck in their favor against better options. Open the floodgates of your state and allow winning formulas to succeed wherever you live. We could go much deeper, but at the very least, competition is what your public school system needs, and what our private institutions are already living on.

Interesting concept. It will probably not fly but here's what occurs here:

All schools are now magnet. This means a kid can go to their home school but they can also apply to any school in any part of the city. They may not get in year 1 but are guaranteed year 2. This has actually had a perceived contradictory, but beneficial effect. Those schools that were once underperforming that one would think kids would be fleeing from have dramatically improved in both academics and sports. Our once bottom of the barrel education system (at least in my county which has 1/4 of the states population) is now in the top 20 in the country (our private schools have always been excellent). The 1 drawback if one calls it that is our school buses put more mileage on them then any other comparable municipality.

Not a bad trade off.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 11:07:29 PM
I don't see how depriving the public school system of the income and property tax revenue derived from wealthy taxpayers who send their children to private schools is going to help fund the educations of poor black pupils.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 11:22:14 PM
At 11/28/2016 11:07:29 PM, Death23 wrote:
I don't see how depriving the public school system of the income and property tax revenue derived from wealthy taxpayers who send their children to private schools is going to help fund the educations of poor black pupils.

People have to stop with the automatic assumption of black-poor, poor-black. How about just say poor pupils?
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 11:43:17 PM
At 11/28/2016 11:22:14 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

People have to stop with the automatic assumption of black-poor, poor-black. How about just say poor pupils?

Well, he was talking about poor black people specifically.

We have all of this talk of "racial inequality", and by happenstance do nothing about the tax system that is working against the groups that start and live poor, like say....a class derived from freed slaves. This is literally the BIGGEST contributing factor to opportunity in America, and we ignore it, and complain about 'racial inequality', coincidentally with these oppressed races residing heavily in poor urban environments of lacking education.

So, my response reflected that.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 12:31:49 AM
At 11/28/2016 11:43:17 PM, Death23 wrote:
At 11/28/2016 11:22:14 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Well, he was talking about poor black people specifically.

We have all of this talk of "racial inequality", and by happenstance do nothing about the tax system that is working against the groups that start and live poor, like say....a class derived from freed slaves. This is literally the BIGGEST contributing factor to opportunity in America, and we ignore it, and complain about 'racial inequality', coincidentally with these oppressed races residing heavily in poor urban environments of lacking education.

So, my response reflected that.

Gotcha :)