Total Posts:68|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Guns why do we need them?

FanboyMctroll
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?
kevin24018
Posts: 1,801
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:31:31 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

I just don't see the purpose of owning a gun, just like I don't see a purpose of me owning a cactus plant, but in the USA people like their guns, is it because the constitution states you can, "ohh cool mom the constitution says I can have a gun, I'm going to go buy one today" I don't get it
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:35:45 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 9:31:31 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

I just don't see the purpose of owning a gun, just like I don't see a purpose of me owning a cactus plant, but in the USA people like their guns, is it because the constitution states you can, "ohh cool mom the constitution says I can have a gun, I'm going to go buy one today" I don't get it

choice
kevin24018
Posts: 1,801
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:45:35 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 9:31:31 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

I just don't see the purpose of owning a gun, just like I don't see a purpose of me owning a cactus plant, but in the USA people like their guns, is it because the constitution states you can, "ohh cool mom the constitution says I can have a gun, I'm going to go buy one today" I don't get it

it's an individual choice, first look at where the majority of gun owners live, I would be it's close to hunting and other out door activities and far less were that isn't readily available. I would say until the last 10 years-ish they were owned for sporting reasons. the self defense is the loudest voice now because of all the threats and continued attacks on the 2nd. Obama was great for gun sales. Anytime there's talk of something else coming down, sales go up. There's lots of people who made purchases because of the threats to the 2nd who may not have ever made a purchase. the whole flaw and fallacy is people will find a way around the laws, always have, always will. There's many products that simulate full auto, perfectly legal as just one example. Why does anyone need a bow and arrow? That was pretty big in the Olympics this year, it's fun. But really "need" is the incorrect word to use, it's a want.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:22:12 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

Why do you need a right to assemble? Can't you just use gotomeeting? YOU PEOPLE (lol) live in a virtual world anyway.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:23:05 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

Another 20 something that thinks they have an original idea.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,801
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 1:43:38 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 12:23:05 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

Another 20 something that thinks they have an original idea.

lol I was just going to dig up some old threads but didn't feel like it
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 1:52:39 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 1:43:38 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 12:23:05 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

Another 20 something that thinks they have an original idea.

lol I was just going to dig up some old threads but didn't feel like it

I'm 43. The net exascerbates exposure but I fully appreciate why elders have always looked at juniors and shook their head.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,801
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 2:35:36 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 1:52:39 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:43:38 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 12:23:05 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

Another 20 something that thinks they have an original idea.

lol I was just going to dig up some old threads but didn't feel like it

I'm 43. The net exascerbates exposure but I fully appreciate why elders have always looked at juniors and shook their head.

I find I shake my head.......alot
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 2:40:33 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 2:35:36 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:52:39 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:43:38 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 12:23:05 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

Another 20 something that thinks they have an original idea.

lol I was just going to dig up some old threads but didn't feel like it

I'm 43. The net exascerbates exposure but I fully appreciate why elders have always looked at juniors and shook their head.

I find I shake my head.......alot

Same here. More so the last 8 months or so than ever, politically speaking.
Archaholic
Posts: 235
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 3:27:25 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 1:52:39 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:43:38 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 12:23:05 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

Another 20 something that thinks they have an original idea.

lol I was just going to dig up some old threads but didn't feel like it

I'm 43. The net exascerbates exposure but I fully appreciate why elders have always looked at juniors and shook their head.

You are 43? Why then the number 13 in your nickname? You seem to be a 13 year old kid. Well, maybe 15, depending on the time you spent in this forum.

am I right?
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 3:44:36 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why.

We have the second amendment because it was known that in all liklihood the government would eventually overstep its bounds, or fail to protect its citizens and we should always at least have the right to defend ourselves. What is a right if it isn't protected? Do you think a cop is the first responder? You are.

Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun.

We are in war, a war most American's don't want to be in. Most Americans would prefer middle eastern countries have been handled by the middle eastern countries while we hang back with our wonderful right to defend ourselves. Now we are stuck there because of our wonderful government that promoted this damn mess.

Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today

My uncle bought a nice one on impulse the day after Thanksgiving. It shakes everything, and it feels like an extension of my body. Love it.

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

Honestly, and I'm about as avid about our rights as anyone because I know its right...We don't really need them. They just work really good, and in my case are some of my most valued possessions. You don't realize what its like growing up, and your dad gives you that dad talk about responsibility and trust and whether or not you are ready to take things on, and you crave it....Then one day your grandfather hands his baby down, and puts his good faith in you to take care of it. Your dad teaches you how to work it safe over and over again, and finally lets you take a shot. He teaches you and you get better and he's so proud. Maybe he teaches you to hunt, and the value of life that always gets discussed with firearms. Maybe you saved up for your first one and bought it (huge purchase as a kid) and you go through the process. Its a personal connection with so much weight and trust in the time you just need it that I'd dare say the experience isn't present in any other object in American culture. Believe it or not, millions have grown up like this. So please be understanding when they aren't willing to hand their guns over when the other side inevitably gets the upper hand. Understand when you talk about a ban, you are talking about a detriment to so many that value this aspect in their life, and don't hurt anyone....and they know that.

Going back towards practicality

I wish this wasn't the case, but fact is, a gun is still the best. Non - Lethal and less lethal is catching up every year , and we'll have that talk when it gets there which should be soon, but if sh!t gets real, and you need to come back to your family, I'd advise having the best measure at hand, provided you can use it reliably, and safely. If you want the best last resort back against the wall measure there is, you want to train with your gun. A gun is just one more option, an effective one when all else has failed.

Still though, high quality pepper spray is awesome, especially on the street. There are big advantages with pepper spray.

A) You can be proactive. This is huge! You can't draw a gun legally if you think trouble might be coming. You draw and you have to be able to prove in court you needed to.
B) You can pull the continuous stream over your target.
C) Its easy not to second guess yourself. A firearm is a huge responsibility and I can talk most people out of one.
D) There is more to survival then the initial encounter. You have better legal, and emotional chances with non-lethal. The perp doesn't need to defend their own life.
E) Minimal Training necessary. Just make sure you can reliably point it in the right direction, and practice basic self defense and that's pretty good.

Disadvantages
A) Effected by temperature (Reliability is THE argument for a gun in self defense)
B) Expires
C) Psychological, and blinding, but will not stop determined attackers.
D) Much smaller target
E) A warning shot can be very convincing, and a gun lends weight to your words if cornered in your home. Won't get that with pepper spray.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Archaholic
Posts: 235
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 3:51:04 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
McGyver? Wow, that is my dad's time. :)

I wonder the same, why the obsession with guns. As far as I can see, americans not just have access to simple guns, because you can have access to them everywhere, but to military guns, automatic guns, the ones that a pissed kid can get in order to wipe out all their bullers. That is really insane. And that is a problem that americans are dealing with because of this old-fashioned amendment, or whatever it is.

I see this amendment is inconsistent with modern life, because it was meant for old west, as much as I know. If there is anybody that can explain us why this nonsense is still working in the american society.

BR
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 4:08:54 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 3:27:25 AM, Archaholic wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:52:39 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:43:38 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 12:23:05 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:27:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

you have a choice, that makes you American.

Another 20 something that thinks they have an original idea.

lol I was just going to dig up some old threads but didn't feel like it

I'm 43. The net exascerbates exposure but I fully appreciate why elders have always looked at juniors and shook their head.

You are 43? Why then the number 13 in your nickname? You seem to be a 13 year old kid. Well, maybe 15, depending on the time you spent in this forum.

am I right?

That's because I'm on disability for a month.

13 is the day of the month and my favorite number.

So you are wrong on all accounts.
Death23
Posts: 779
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 4:57:52 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

People need guns to protect themselves from other people. The more likely an attack from another person, the more a gun is needed. People who live in dangerous neighborhoods need guns. People with violent enemies need guns. People who guard cash need guns. People who man liquor stores need guns. I could think of lots of reasons to need a gun.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 5:24:47 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
"I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States."
Because we have guns, those other countries know we are not someone they want to mess with.
Did anyone in those countries discuss their air force bombing America?
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 5:34:15 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
Another reason people need guns is suicide.
During this century the percentage of Americans who kill themselves grows a little bit every year.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 11:37:10 AM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 9:23:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/29/2016 9:21:58 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

You practically answered your own question-it is enshrined within their constitution, therefore many Americans place a heightened emphasis on self-defensive through gun ownership; it's merely something that has been a part of American culture.

So you are not American unless you own a gun?

No, I never said that-but the fact it is in their constitution and has always been a prominent part of their culture, is why so many Americans believe in gun ownership.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:17:31 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

If the shot-callers of the government can find a way to remove guns completely from the hands of those who would cause harm, and also rid themselves of any and all corruption, then and only then would I give up my right to own one myself for the sake of protection against the aforementioned parties.

With that said, if the government really wanted to cause harm, violently and forcefully, against its citizens I strongly doubt a personal rifle or pistol would help at all. But it'd still at-least be helpful against personal acts of violence carried out by a single aggressor looking to cause harm against yourself, your family, or your property. I'm thinking along the lines of home invasions/burglary, kidnapping attempts, muggings in the ally, domestic violence, etc..

TL;DR - Protection against other people that have guns. As the old adage goes: "don't bring a knife to a gun-fight."
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 3:01:25 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 3:51:04 AM, Archaholic wrote:
McGyver? Wow, that is my dad's time. :)

I wonder the same, why the obsession with guns. As far as I can see, americans not just have access to simple guns, because you can have access to them everywhere, but to military guns, automatic guns, the ones that a pissed kid can get in order to wipe out all their bullers. That is really insane. And that is a problem that americans are dealing with because of this old-fashioned amendment, or whatever it is.

I see this amendment is inconsistent with modern life, because it was meant for old west, as much as I know. If there is anybody that can explain us why this nonsense is still working in the american society.

BR

Honestly, I've got no qualms with people wanting to cap the lethal weapons a private citizen can easily obtain, so long as they don't affect my ability to defend myself or take my property. I've got no love or interest in military history, or their rifles. People just don't seem to have a clue what they are doing, and can't seem to realize its been done for them already, and they should be looking at progressive policies like gun storage, and closing the remaining background check loopholes, ensuring enforcement for background checks. This is all you should ask of your representatives at the time being so that gun owners start trusting in their government again, and pass the legislation every American should want.

These mass shootings....They could have been prevented by a simple gun safety class. I can't see how anyone could kill another human being after taking gun safety because it revolves entirely around preserving human life for hours. You been in one of those suckers? They remind you like a hundred times how every action and protocol you make with a gun is with respect to others. No one talks about that! Why people? Why don't these gilhoons look at the common sense before blindly following (not directed at you archaholic) "stricter gun laws" "repeal the 2nd ammendment". Do they not realize that sells more guns? People invest in firearms around high profile speeches these days, because stupid people keep saying stupid things, and smart people take advantage. If you buy scary looking, or ex-military guns in Trumps administration you are almost guaranteed to make thousands when anti-gunners come back with a vengeance if he doesn't create an atmosphere conducive to progressive policy soon.

Automatics have been banned from manufacture and importation for decades, have stagnant supply and high demand. The best guns are almost all simple, automatics being no exception. The kid down the street would have trouble affording one, let alone buying it. He'd likely have to lift it if he can find one, probably 1 for every 1000 Americans, with most being owned in multiple by the middle-upper class who likely have secure storage for their investment if they aren't mental. An automatic being used against anyone is statistically highly unlikely, and more of a scare tactic to get people to heard together for the real goals they have in mind. Semi-Auto military grade generally starts at around 1000 and all that means is you got certifiably ripped off (its an investment) since military is just certification for overpricing the product to begin with. Nothin special about those military guns other then they've been tested through the ringer for reliability. Expect 10++ fold for the luxury of not having to move your finger with anything decent....At least 30 years old.

I don't see what a semi-auto or a full auto has advantage over a revolver, or a pump action, against unarmed bullwinkles...Hope that doesn't make you uncomfortable. Its been that way your whole life though and you are still here. Anything would be equally lethal so long as the sights line up.

During a standoff with multiple aggressors is where you need lots of bullets with fast reloads to hold off advancement. Its not advantageous in a mass shooting where people are evading you as fast as you can empty the first load, but it would be after police arrive, and this occasionally creates the drama the news ascribes to their "unusual killing ability". Its not unusual that bullets will kill you. Its unusual in that it can keep your head down as long as the clips hold up, and give the wielder a fighting chance against poor odds. That's what most guns are made to do in their respective designs.

A semi-auto is not advantageous in personal confrontation, unless you are in a defensive position and have better familiarity with an automatic. Only takes one bullet.

Also advantageous in drive by's where a short continuous stream is really your only need. I'm shootin my mouth off here, but its thought gangs that can get their hands on a gun have a gun keeper, and firearms are shared as people need them.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Archaholic
Posts: 235
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 4:21:52 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 3:01:25 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/30/2016 3:51:04 AM, Archaholic wrote:
McGyver? Wow, that is my dad's time. :)

I wonder the same, why the obsession with guns. As far as I can see, americans not just have access to simple guns, because you can have access to them everywhere, but to military guns, automatic guns, the ones that a pissed kid can get in order to wipe out all their bullers. That is really insane. And that is a problem that americans are dealing with because of this old-fashioned amendment, or whatever it is.

I see this amendment is inconsistent with modern life, because it was meant for old west, as much as I know. If there is anybody that can explain us why this nonsense is still working in the american society.

BR

Honestly, I've got no qualms with people wanting to cap the lethal weapons a private citizen can easily obtain, so long as they don't affect my ability to defend myself or take my property. I've got no love or interest in military history, or their rifles. People just don't seem to have a clue what they are doing, and can't seem to realize its been done for them already, and they should be looking at progressive policies like gun storage, and closing the remaining background check loopholes, ensuring enforcement for background checks. This is all you should ask of your representatives at the time being so that gun owners start trusting in their government again, and pass the legislation every American should want.

Perhaps this is the main problem in the US, that there is no gun control at all. But if the congress decides to set up some policies concerning guns, then there is no reason to keep the second amendment since that would be contradictory with any gun control policy.

These mass shootings....They could have been prevented by a simple gun safety class. I can't see how anyone could kill another human being after taking gun safety because it revolves entirely around preserving human life for hours. You been in one of those suckers? They remind you like a hundred times how every action and protocol you make with a gun is with respect to others. No one talks about that! Why people? Why don't these gilhoons look at the common sense before blindly following (not directed at you archaholic) "stricter gun laws" "repeal the 2nd ammendment". Do they not realize that sells more guns? People invest in firearms around high profile speeches these days, because stupid people keep saying stupid things, and smart people take advantage. If you buy scary looking, or ex-military guns in Trumps administration you are almost guaranteed to make thousands when anti-gunners come back with a vengeance if he doesn't create an atmosphere conducive to progressive policy soon.

So, you think the problem is not the lack of gun control but the lack of gun safety classes for gun owners. I disagree, dude. There are studies that clearly show the correlation between the amount of guns sold in a country and the number of murders caused by guns. Guns are lethal, so that explains the high rate of homocides as well as suicides.

But let me tell you why the american congress has done nothing so far about gun control. The gun lobby in the american politics is overwhelming since there is a lot of money on the line. The gun sellers are powerful in your country, incredibly more powerful than you can imagine. So, tragedies like you society has already experienced are not enough to stop these gun dealers pushing the congress to avoid any gun regulation. Not like in Australia where it was enough a tragedy to enforce the gun policies, and since then no more mass shootings have happened.

Automatics have been banned from manufacture and importation for decades, have stagnant supply and high demand. The best guns are almost all simple, automatics being no exception. The kid down the street would have trouble affording one, let alone buying it. He'd likely have to lift it if he can find one, probably 1 for every 1000 Americans, with most being owned in multiple by the middle-upper class who likely have secure storage for their investment if they aren't mental. An automatic being used against anyone is statistically highly unlikely, and more of a scare tactic to get people to heard together for the real goals they have in mind. Semi-Auto military grade generally starts at around 1000 and all that means is you got certifiably ripped off (its an investment) since military is just certification for overpricing the product to begin with. Nothin special about those military guns other then they've been tested through the ringer for reliability. Expect 10++ fold for the luxury of not having to move your finger with anything decent....At least 30 years old.

I don't see what a semi-auto or a full auto has advantage over a revolver, or a pump action, against unarmed bullwinkles...Hope that doesn't make you uncomfortable. Its been that way your whole life though and you are still here. Anything would be equally lethal so long as the sights line up.

During a standoff with multiple aggressors is where you need lots of bullets with fast reloads to hold off advancement. Its not advantageous in a mass shooting where people are evading you as fast as you can empty the first load, but it would be after police arrive, and this occasionally creates the drama the news ascribes to their "unusual killing ability". Its not unusual that bullets will kill you. Its unusual in that it can keep your head down as long as the clips hold up, and give the wielder a fighting chance against poor odds. That's what most guns are made to do in their respective designs.

A semi-auto is not advantageous in personal confrontation, unless you are in a defensive position and have better familiarity with an automatic. Only takes one bullet.

Also advantageous in drive by's where a short continuous stream is really your only need. I'm shootin my mouth off here, but its thought gangs that can get their hands on a gun have a gun keeper, and firearms are shared as people need them.

Guns are awesome, there is no doubt about it. But I think not all people have the same needs in regards to personal defense. It is not the same being a housewife as being a bodyguard. It is more likely that a housewife loses her life in a confrontation than a bodyguard in the same situation. So, guns are not meant for eveybody. The defense argument doesn't work in that case. The problem goes further than a simple self-defense reason.

BR
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 4:36:36 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
"What is everyone so paranoid about??"
In order for a gun ban to work, a dictatorship has to get rid of ALL the guns. The bad guys will keep their guns even if it is illegal.
Are you asking us if they should take away the guns of the law abiding people, but not the criminals?

Btw America was created by the guys who had guns to hunt with, who shot the British soldiers.
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 4:46:38 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 4:36:36 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
"What is everyone so paranoid about??"
In order for a gun ban to work, a dictatorship has to get rid of ALL the guns. The bad guys will keep their guns even if it is illegal.
Are you asking us if they should take away the guns of the law abiding people, but not the criminals?

Btw America was created by the guys who had guns to hunt with, who shot the British soldiers.

Btw the British burned the White House to the ground and won the war of 1812

Your kid will blow you away with your gun or the armed assailant will just come in while you are sleeping and shoot you with your own gun, so go ahead and keep it. I will just laugh when I hear about it on CNN
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 4:53:53 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"

We bear arms because there's over a million violent crimes committed each year and up to 3 million more that was prevented by a law abiding citizen. We bear arms as a deterrent to a tyrannical government either foriegn or domestic. We bear arms so that people with your ideology can live in relative safety. Question: why do you wear a seatbelt? Are you going off roading? Are you a race car driver!

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

Why do you lock your doors at night? Are you afraid?

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 5:22:52 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 4:53:53 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"


We bear arms because there's over a million violent crimes committed each year and up to 3 million more that was prevented by a law abiding citizen. We bear arms as a deterrent to a tyrannical government either foriegn or domestic. We bear arms so that people with your ideology can live in relative safety. Question: why do you wear a seatbelt? Are you going off roading? Are you a race car driver!

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

Why do you lock your doors at night? Are you afraid?

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I have never felt the need to have it, oh by the way that 5 year old is playing with your gun right now, did you take the bullets out BANG!!!! (mic drop)
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 5:58:20 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
Archaholic wrote:
Quadrunner wrote:
, Archaholic wrote:

Honestly, I've got no qualms with people wanting to cap the lethal weapons a private citizen can easily obtain, so long as they don't affect my ability to defend myself or take my property. I've got no love or interest in military history, or their rifles. People just don't seem to have a clue what they are doing, and can't seem to realize its been done for them already, and they should be looking at progressive policies like gun storage, and closing the remaining background check loopholes, ensuring enforcement for background checks. This is all you should ask of your representatives at the time being so that gun owners start trusting in their government again, and pass the legislation every American should want.

Perhaps this is the main problem in the US, that there is no gun control at all. But if the congress decides to set up some policies concerning guns, then there is no reason to keep the second amendment since that would be contradictory with any gun control policy.

The second Amendment is actually fully compatible with what we are discussing. People mistake how firm it is by the political pandering that is currently in favor of gun 'rights'. I think its worth standing for and would fight everything they throw at it.

These mass shootings....They could have been prevented by a simple gun safety class. I can't see how anyone could kill another human being after taking gun safety because it revolves entirely around preserving human life for hours. You been in one of those suckers? They remind you like a hundred times how every action and protocol you make with a gun is with respect to others. No one talks about that! Why people? Why don't these gilhoons look at the common sense before blindly following (not directed at you archaholic) "stricter gun laws" "repeal the 2nd ammendment". Do they not realize that sells more guns? People invest in firearms around high profile speeches these days, because stupid people keep saying stupid things, and smart people take advantage. If you buy scary looking, or ex-military guns in Trumps administration you are almost guaranteed to make thousands when anti-gunners come back with a vengeance if he doesn't create an atmosphere conducive to progressive policy soon.

So, you think the problem is not the lack of gun control but the lack of gun safety classes for gun owners. I disagree, dude. There are studies that clearly show the correlation between the amount of guns sold in a country and the number of murders caused by guns. Guns are lethal, so that explains the high rate of homocides as well as suicides.

I didn't say that, quite the opposite. I did however state a common sense starting point. Are you going to argue against a moral last stand for impulsive first time gun owners? Like what the fvck. Embrace that. Just because it doesn't meet the vendetta against guns doesn't mean its not going to help. Go to a gun safety class if you don't believe me. You think these decisions to murder people are stable enough where some actual moral guidance won't make a difference? People who do this are people who need help and this is a sure way of getting to people who fall through the cracks.

Always look at overall rates. Dead people don't care which implement was chosen to kill them. Correlation is not Causation.

But let me tell you why the american congress has done nothing so far about gun control. The gun lobby in the american politics is overwhelming since there is a lot of money on the line. The gun sellers are powerful in your country, incredibly more powerful than you can imagine. So, tragedies like you society has already experienced are not enough to stop these gun dealers pushing the congress to avoid any gun regulation. Not like in Australia where it was enough a tragedy to enforce the gun policies, and since then no more mass shootings have happened.

Thanks Obama. You did nothing to stop the mass stabbing in Minnesota but a gun owner did. He has sold more guns... The gun industry has boomed because of an overstepping motion against gun owners leading to prohibition like sales, and now gun industry and owners alike have reason to fund lobbies and continue this nonsense. They need common sense, so negotiation presumes.

Automatics have been banned from manufacture and importation for decades, have stagnant supply and high demand. The best guns are almost all simple, automatics being no exception. The kid down the street would have trouble affording one, let alone buying it. He'd likely have to lift it if he can find one, probably 1 for every 1000 Americans, with most being owned in multiple by the middle-upper class who likely have secure storage for their investment if they aren't mental. An automatic being used against anyone is statistically highly unlikely, and more of a scare tactic to get people to heard together for the real goals they have in mind. Semi-Auto military grade generally starts at around 1000 and all that means is you got certifiably ripped off (its an investment) since military is just certification for overpricing the product to begin with. Nothin special about those military guns other then they've been tested through the ringer for reliability. Expect 10++ fold for the luxury of not having to move your finger with anything decent....At least 30 years old.

I don't see what a semi-auto or a full auto has advantage over a revolver, or a pump action, against unarmed bullwinkles...Hope that doesn't make you uncomfortable. Its been that way your whole life though and you are still here. Anything would be equally lethal so long as the sights line up.

During a standoff with multiple aggressors is where you need lots of bullets with fast reloads to hold off advancement. Its not advantageous in a mass shooting where people are evading you as fast as you can empty the first load, but it would be after police arrive, and this occasionally creates the drama the news ascribes to their "unusual killing ability". Its not unusual that bullets will kill you. Its unusual in that it can keep your head down as long as the clips hold up, and give the wielder a fighting chance against poor odds. That's what most guns are made to do in their respective designs.



Guns are awesome, there is no doubt about it. But I think not all people have the same needs in regards to personal defense. It is not the same being a housewife as being a bodyguard. It is more likely that a housewife loses her life in a confrontation than a bodyguard in the same situation. So, guns are not meant for eveybody. The defense argument doesn't work in that case. The problem goes further than a simple self-defense reason.

Its not the same. One's job is to protect your body with a right to their own, and the other just has a right to protect theirs. What are you getting at? You have no objective in this paragraph. Druggies break into our homes, kill, and rape, and beat us in my neck of the woods, like my neighbors. Not everyone will have the need but they have the right.

I try hard to talk people out of guns for home defense, as I should, because its not right for everyone, and if they can't handle me they can't handle the responsibility, and potential consequences they are considering. This is another aspect of training that should be actively encouraged....Initial Discouragement, with the commitment to practice. If you want a gun for self defense, you damn well better know how to use it, and I don't just mean target plinking. You have a whole bunch of situational awareness practices ahead of you, among other things... In training they'll remind you of the weight, that there isn't room for mistakes because you can't handle yourself. You're right, people should be discouraged in regards to defense if they aren't sure. Make that known.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 6:08:28 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/30/2016 5:22:52 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/30/2016 4:53:53 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:41:48 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I know the second amendment states you have the right to bear arms, but why. Are you getting ready to go to war, are you terrified of where you live, are you a diamond jeweler, why do you need a gun. Do people just get up one morning and say "Wow what a beautiful day, honey I think I'm going to buy a gun today"


We bear arms because there's over a million violent crimes committed each year and up to 3 million more that was prevented by a law abiding citizen. We bear arms as a deterrent to a tyrannical government either foriegn or domestic. We bear arms so that people with your ideology can live in relative safety. Question: why do you wear a seatbelt? Are you going off roading? Are you a race car driver!

I have lived in many countries around the world and no country is so enamored in the gun like the USA. I just don't see why you need one, we don't live in the wild west, what are you so afraid of, where is this fear stemming from, I don't get it, explain it to me. I mean McGyver never needed guns, I know it was a tv show but all the countries I have lived in, ie Sweden, England, Germany, Australia etc, etc. nobody discussed or carried guns like in the United States.

Why do you lock your doors at night? Are you afraid?

What is everyone so paranoid about?? Life goes on without guns

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I have never felt the need to have it, oh by the way that 5 year old is playing with your gun right now, did you take the bullets out BANG!!!! (mic drop)

Pics mic up...Gun Storage Legislation...Exits room with mic.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.