Jump to topic:

Trump the Industrialist strikes again!

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 12:06:51 AM
Posted: 4 days ago
First Ford and now United Technologies (Carrier).

Yes Trump is not even POTUS yet and he has prevented another company from moving manufacturing out of the United States.

https://www.theguardian.com...

I'll take some bad tweets and save manufacturing jobs any day!
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 2:18:11 AM
At 12/1/2016 12:06:51 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Yes Trump is not even POTUS yet and he has prevented another company from moving manufacturing out of the United States.

Trump didn't save a single job from ford: it's difficult to save a factory that wasn't closing; this means that is a lie.
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 2:26:05 AM
At 12/1/2016 2:18:11 AM, Ramshutu wrote:

Trump didn't save a single job from ford: it's difficult to save a factory that wasn't closing; this means that is a lie.

Yes, I think Ford tricked him into thinking that he saved the manufacturing plant that was supposed to be in Michigan, that still hasn't changed, that I have seen. This caused him to send a stupid tweet about a plant in Kansas or something that was going to be here anyway. This is very worrisome that he can be manipulated that easily.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 2:36:32 AM
At 12/1/2016 2:26:05 AM, Davery79 wrote:
At 12/1/2016 2:18:11 AM, Ramshutu wrote:

Yes, I think Ford tricked him into thinking that he saved the manufacturing plant that was supposed to be in Michigan, that still hasn't changed, that I have seen. This caused him to send a stupid tweet about a plant in Kansas or something that was going to be here anyway. This is very worrisome that he can be manipulated that easily.

The Carrier Factory is a wait and see; it depends on what the deal is and how many jobs are actually saved.

There is a difference between making an individual deal that is neither applicable, nor sustainable for the rest of the industrial base and actually turning manufacturing as a whole around.

I suspect it's a combination of state incentives (IE: Corporate welfare), and threats concerning government contracts; neither of which can be broadly applicable to the rest of the manufacturing industry.

But I'm sure there won't be a second thread if it turns out the details of the deal are basically the state letting the company off $65m of tax payments per year offsetting the potential gains.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 3:56:29 AM

That's wonderful progress. This is precisely why he destroyed the "blue wall."

He's defied every expectation up to this point, so I assume he'll prove doubters wrong who claim he'll be the worst president we've ever had. We had Hayes, Carter, and plenty of JQ Adams. I think this is another overexaggerated concern.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 7:15:28 PM
Posted: 3 days ago

Looks like 1300 jobs are still going to Mexico. Of those that were "saved",1100, three hundred some were going to North Carolina anyway.

Apparently Trump can't cut a good deal. He half won and half lost at a cost of $7 mill per year to state of IN.

Better than nothing I guess, but if Trump thinks it is a good deal to not have any business taxes why just not get rid of all business taxes to "grow" jobs and reimburse states to eliminate property taxes for business.

Corporate welfare has diminishing returns. He would do better bringing in new business and reeducating workers than protecting low wage jobs that can be done much much cheaper elsewhere.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 7:33:57 PM
At 12/1/2016 7:15:28 PM, slo1 wrote:

Looks like 1300 jobs are still going to Mexico. Of those that were "saved",1100, three hundred some were going to North Carolina anyway.

Apparently Trump can't cut a good deal. He half won and half lost at a cost of $7 mill per year to state of IN.

Better than nothing I guess, but if Trump thinks it is a good deal to not have any business taxes why just not get rid of all business taxes to "grow" jobs and reimburse states to eliminate property taxes for business.

Corporate welfare has diminishing returns. He would do better bringing in new business and reeducating workers than protecting low wage jobs that can be done much much cheaper elsewhere.

agreed, the corporate welfare is just another of many failed social programs
when was the last time a new business came to the U.S.? and why would they? The one I can recall off the top of my head is the Kia/Hyundai plant in Georgia, but we are loosing these jobs exponentially more than we are gaining, they again it's not a very level and fair playing field.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 10:09:18 PM

One can assume that only so much can get done before one becomes POTUS. I do believe broad ranging tax reform is on the ticket.

So you want all your manufacturing done elsewhere? Good plan for the destruction of a nation, just make yourself a nation of dependents that can't actually do anything for themselves.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 10:46:03 PM
At 12/1/2016 10:09:18 PM, Geogeer wrote:

One can assume that only so much can get done before one becomes POTUS. I do believe broad ranging tax reform is on the ticket.

So you want all your manufacturing done elsewhere? Good plan for the destruction of a nation, just make yourself a nation of dependents that can't actually do anything for themselves.

Since all gov intervention in business impacts different segments in different ways (Ie: Businesses on I35 corridor that rely on the trucking fro Mexico would get hit hard if we had a 35 percent tarrifs while other industries would benefit) it is important the gov make good decisions on what industries to support. There is a shortage of labor for high tech manufacturing. It may be worth considering saving tax breaks to train people to fill those roles versus keeping 800 jobs in IN.

Coal was another area that Trump spoke about. It is dead and with the framing we have more natural gas than we need. We need LNG infrastructure to export it, not trying to hang on coal.
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 11:01:28 PM

"Some bad tweets" which include threatening to violate
- Just about every part of 1A
- 4A
- 5A
- 6A
- 8A
- 9A
- 10A

Furthermore, the president shouldn't be meddling in the operations of single companies, especially not single plants
-warren42

"Give me liberty. That's it. I can handle the rest."
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 11:18:54 PM
At 12/1/2016 11:01:28 PM, warren42 wrote:

- 4A
- 5A
- 6A
- 8A
- 9A
- 10A

Furthermore, the president shouldn't be meddling in the operations of single companies, especially not single plants

How about married plants?
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 11:30:47 PM
At 12/1/2016 11:18:54 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

- 4A
- 5A
- 6A
- 8A
- 9A
- 10A

How about married plants?

MARRIAGE IS ONLY BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Maple Tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-warren42

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 11:37:48 PM

- 4A
- 5A
- 6A
- 8A
- 9A
- 10A

Is he president? I could have sworn Obama is president.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 11:41:00 PM
At 12/1/2016 11:37:48 PM, Geogeer wrote:

- 4A
- 5A
- 6A
- 8A
- 9A
- 10A

Nah, libs already done kicked him to the curb.
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 11:59:54 PM

- 4A
- 5A
- 6A
- 8A
- 9A
- 10A

Fair enough, but if he continues this once sworn in my statement still stands.
-warren42

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:11:49 AM
At 12/1/2016 11:59:54 PM, warren42 wrote:

- 4A
- 5A
- 6A
- 8A
- 9A
- 10A

Fair enough, but if he continues this once sworn in my statement still stands.

Threats are just an opening to negotiations :D