Jump to topic:

Is the US now at war with Russia?

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 5:38:07 PM
Posted: 3 days ago
Turkey, a NATO member, has declared war on Syria. Russia is an ally of Syria. Due to the NATO treaty taking effect is the US now in a defacto state of war with Russia?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 6:40:31 AM
At 12/1/2016 5:38:07 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Turkey, a NATO member, has declared war on Syria. Russia is an ally of Syria. Due to the NATO treaty taking effect is the US now in a defacto state of war with f we get into a war over

If Obama does nothing else....I hope he proves me wrong with with Turkey....A war over Syria caused by turkey....I'm sure as hell not gonna risk my mother's tears for that.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 6:54:36 AM
At 12/1/2016 5:38:07 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Turkey, a NATO member, has declared war on Syria. Russia is an ally of Syria. Due to the NATO treaty taking effect is the US now in a defacto state of war with Russia?

Article V shouldn't kick in unless Turkey is attacked. It was only ever successfully invoked over 9/11, and the Syrian government hasn't attacked Turkey in any such capacity. So we aren't obligated to go to war, just as NATO was not obligated to go to war in Iraq.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -