Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Are homogenous societies better?

Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 10:22:00 PM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

To a certain degree this is true as it causes less internal strife. I would argue what is more important is that homogeneous religious belief creates a stable system and that whichever belief adheres closest to the truth about human nature will create the most stable system.

The conflict you tend to see these days revolves around differing moral systems. Men of goodwill can disagree with the implementation of these principles, but today societies cannot even agree on the fundamental principles that they are guided by. Relativism destroys society.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 10:24:49 PM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

racist.
warren42
Posts: 69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:04:39 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
The more diverse the society the more advancement in ideas and experience, which can enhance everyone's lives, but also the more chance for strife.

All depends on the definition of "better."
-warren42

"Give me liberty. That's it. I can handle the rest."
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:30:15 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/1/2016 11:18:33 PM, Kynikos wrote:
Homogeneous in identity. Not in thought.

But as a whole, do you believe that there are any disadvantages of a homogenous society that a heterogenous society would produce?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:30:27 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/1/2016 10:22:00 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

To a certain degree this is true as it causes less internal strife. I would argue what is more important is that homogeneous religious belief creates a stable system and that whichever belief adheres closest to the truth about human nature will create the most stable system.

The conflict you tend to see these days revolves around differing moral systems. Men of goodwill can disagree with the implementation of these principles, but today societies cannot even agree on the fundamental principles that they are guided by. Relativism destroys society.

Good point.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:30:49 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/2/2016 12:04:39 AM, warren42 wrote:
The more diverse the society the more advancement in ideas and experience, which can enhance everyone's lives, but also the more chance for strife.

All depends on the definition of "better."

In your opinion, what do you think?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Kynikos
Posts: 53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:40:23 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/2/2016 12:04:39 AM, warren42 wrote:
The more diverse the society the more advancement in ideas and experience, which can enhance everyone's lives,
Na...studies show the most productive groups are homogeneous in certain traits and diverse in others.
Kynikos
Posts: 53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:42:33 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/2/2016 12:30:15 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/1/2016 11:18:33 PM, Kynikos wrote:
Homogeneous in identity. Not in thought.

But as a whole, do you believe that there are any disadvantages of a homogenous society that a heterogenous society would produce?
No, because it would depend on what type of homogeneity or heterogeneity is being discussed.
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:43:28 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/2/2016 12:42:33 AM, Kynikos wrote:
At 12/2/2016 12:30:15 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/1/2016 11:18:33 PM, Kynikos wrote:
Homogeneous in identity. Not in thought.

But as a whole, do you believe that there are any disadvantages of a homogenous society that a heterogenous society would produce?
No, because it would depend on what type of homogeneity or heterogeneity is being discussed.

Identity wise. Let's compare the United States to Norway for example.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Kynikos
Posts: 53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 12:54:32 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/2/2016 12:43:28 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/2/2016 12:42:33 AM, Kynikos wrote:
At 12/2/2016 12:30:15 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/1/2016 11:18:33 PM, Kynikos wrote:
Homogeneous in identity. Not in thought.

But as a whole, do you believe that there are any disadvantages of a homogenous society that a heterogenous society would produce?
No, because it would depend on what type of homogeneity or heterogeneity is being discussed.

Identity wise. Let's compare the United States to Norway for example.
None really. Who benefits from a needless division of the populace?
warren42
Posts: 69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 2:01:16 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/2/2016 12:30:49 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/2/2016 12:04:39 AM, warren42 wrote:
The more diverse the society the more advancement in ideas and experience, which can enhance everyone's lives, but also the more chance for strife.

All depends on the definition of "better."

In your opinion, what do you think?

Are you going to provide a definition or should I?
-warren42

"Give me liberty. That's it. I can handle the rest."
Scruggs
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 3:15:55 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?
Maybe this will help:
http://www.tandfonline.com...
"If a man does not put himself in the attitude of a sinner, his prayer will not be heard before God." A brother asked him, "what is a sinful soul?" And St. Abba Moses replied, "Everyone who bears his own sins, and does not consider those of his companion."
Bennett91
Posts: 4,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 3:42:13 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

Define better.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 4:06:57 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

Depends on what kind of homogeneity, cultural, ethnic, religious?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 4:45:00 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
At 12/2/2016 4:06:57 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

Depends on what kind of homogeneity, cultural, ethnic, religious?

^
slo1
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 2:04:51 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

From a religious standpoint even though the US began as a pretty homogenous Christian nation it is built upon the premise that individuals have a right to practice the religion they see fit as long as the practices don't violate individual rights.

From a freedom perspective having a heterogeneous society tests legal boundaries around freedoms much more frequent and in different ways.

In theory it can advance a nation to more openness and could arguable be one of the reasons why the US is the most open when it comes to freedom of speech and religion.

Some may argue that openness causes more risk to the populace. It often comes down to the security versus freedom argument. That line between those two competing elements will always be argued.

A nationalist may say we can circumvent that arguement by ensuring everyone is homogeneous. They are right to an extent. Only the principles of individual rights need to be conformed to.

If we could be centered around that, it then allows heterogeneous societies to peacefully coincide.

Unfortunately the Nationalistic view often gets tied up in tribal notions that split people by skin color, speech variances and other inconsequential varriances.
AlyceTheElectrician
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 2:54:48 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
If I make an observation according to this map..

https://www.washingtonpost.com...

It seems that the most diverse places are not as astute or advanced as the most homogeneous places, so...

Right now I think homogenous societies have an advantage.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 4:28:41 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/2/2016 3:57:31 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

In what sense?

just overall. Just compare the United States to a country like Norway or Japan.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 6:48:32 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

No, I think of diversity a lot like an ecologist would view the need for genetic variation within the population to adapt to changing environments. I enjoy multiple perspectives in my life, and have learned from them.

Certain conditions need to be met for a stew type society though. Basic fundamentals need to be established that everyone can agree on. Practices need to be allowed to vary, AKA, don't use the highest level government to manipulate people. Segregation must be consciously mitigated, aka, no planning cities with poor areas and rich areas.

If those aren't met, well yeah, a homogeneous society would probably be better.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 6:52:52 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/2/2016 4:28:41 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 12/2/2016 3:57:31 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

In what sense?

just overall. Just compare the United States to a country like Norway or Japan.

Good Choices
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 6:54:18 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/2/2016 6:48:32 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

No, I think of diversity a lot like an ecologist would view the need for genetic variation within the population to adapt to changing environments. I enjoy multiple perspectives in my life, and have learned from them.

I think you can make the case that technology has really made genetic adaptation obsolete. Just think, how many thousands of generations of mutations the human species would have to endure to have the same benefits of...say penicillin? Countless I assume.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 6:56:12 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/2/2016 6:54:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:48:32 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

No, I think of diversity a lot like an ecologist would view the need for genetic variation within the population to adapt to changing environments. I enjoy multiple perspectives in my life, and have learned from them.

I think you can make the case that technology has really made genetic adaptation obsolete. Just think, how many thousands of generations of mutations the human species would have to endure to have the same benefits of...say penicillin? Countless I assume.

I was more referring to cultural diversity, the way people approach things. Not only do your parents hand their genes down to you, but also their way of living.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 7:15:06 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/2/2016 6:56:12 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:54:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:48:32 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

No, I think of diversity a lot like an ecologist would view the need for genetic variation within the population to adapt to changing environments. I enjoy multiple perspectives in my life, and have learned from them.

I think you can make the case that technology has really made genetic adaptation obsolete. Just think, how many thousands of generations of mutations the human species would have to endure to have the same benefits of...say penicillin? Countless I assume.

I was more referring to cultural diversity, the way people approach things. Not only do your parents hand their genes down to you, but also their way of living.

There's always going to be a dominant culture from the criteria of a survival standpoint, otherwise we would still have cannibals. Culture can also be artificially manufactured, just like penicillin. It's not something that has to be organic to work.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 7:20:04 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/2/2016 7:15:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:56:12 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:54:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:48:32 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

No, I think of diversity a lot like an ecologist would view the need for genetic variation within the population to adapt to changing environments. I enjoy multiple perspectives in my life, and have learned from them.

I think you can make the case that technology has really made genetic adaptation obsolete. Just think, how many thousands of generations of mutations the human species would have to endure to have the same benefits of...say penicillin? Countless I assume.

I was more referring to cultural diversity, the way people approach things. Not only do your parents hand their genes down to you, but also their way of living.

There's always going to be a dominant culture from the criteria of a survival standpoint, otherwise we would still have cannibals. Culture can also be artificially manufactured, just like penicillin. It's not something that has to be organic to work.

As stated, there needs to be a few universally accepted principles, otherwise it would suck having your liver chewed on. Alcohol will suffice. A mindset of artificial manipulation leads to oppression unless universally acceptable.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 7:22:12 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/2/2016 7:20:04 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/2/2016 7:15:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:56:12 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:54:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:48:32 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

No, I think of diversity a lot like an ecologist would view the need for genetic variation within the population to adapt to changing environments. I enjoy multiple perspectives in my life, and have learned from them.

I think you can make the case that technology has really made genetic adaptation obsolete. Just think, how many thousands of generations of mutations the human species would have to endure to have the same benefits of...say penicillin? Countless I assume.

I was more referring to cultural diversity, the way people approach things. Not only do your parents hand their genes down to you, but also their way of living.

There's always going to be a dominant culture from the criteria of a survival standpoint, otherwise we would still have cannibals. Culture can also be artificially manufactured, just like penicillin. It's not something that has to be organic to work.

As stated, there needs to be a few universally accepted principles, otherwise it would suck having your liver chewed on. Alcohol will suffice. A mindset of artificial manipulation leads to oppression unless universally acceptable.

Lol artificial manipulation is led by people and consumers, not tyrants. There's nothing sacred about natural selection.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 7:27:16 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 12/2/2016 7:22:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 7:20:04 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/2/2016 7:15:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:56:12 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:54:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/2/2016 6:48:32 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/1/2016 10:03:57 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
It's a topic I wanted to discuss. Would you say homogenous societies are better?

No, I think of diversity a lot like an ecologist would view the need for genetic variation within the population to adapt to changing environments. I enjoy multiple perspectives in my life, and have learned from them.

I think you can make the case that technology has really made genetic adaptation obsolete. Just think, how many thousands of generations of mutations the human species would have to endure to have the same benefits of...say penicillin? Countless I assume.

I was more referring to cultural diversity, the way people approach things. Not only do your parents hand their genes down to you, but also their way of living.

There's always going to be a dominant culture from the criteria of a survival standpoint, otherwise we would still have cannibals. Culture can also be artificially manufactured, just like penicillin. It's not something that has to be organic to work.

As stated, there needs to be a few universally accepted principles, otherwise it would suck having your liver chewed on. Alcohol will suffice. A mindset of artificial manipulation leads to oppression unless universally acceptable.

Lol artificial manipulation is led by people and consumers, not tyrants. There's nothing sacred about natural selection.

Then it wouldn't be artificial by my way of thinking. Perhaps I lack definition....Artificial manipulation would come from the top down, not the natural progression of individuals interacting with one another, but a few pushing masses to change, in this case homogenize towards a perceived optimum outlook by the person in favor of manipulation.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Devilry
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 7:30:55 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
I agree with a few here that difference breeds tension - and all fcking difference, which is why shtty little Hitler wanted to create a tall, blond-haired, blue-eyed race. It ain't just the colour of your skin. You'll hate the next dude because he's more handsome than you, cleverer than you, whatever. Yes, the world would be perfect if we were all the same; that's literally the premise of Huxley's Brave New World.

But then that ain't ever going to happen. And segregation seems like an utterly retarded idea, doomed to blow the everlivingfuck up - just like in Huxley's Brave New World. (Nah I didn't finish that book though, it was bad)
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.