15 years prison for filming cops?

Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 12:24:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Yet another offshoot of protecting property rights... Here we have an artist, forbidden to sell his art on the street. That's someone's property you know. In our system, if you're not paying a landlord for the right to do something, then common sense ought to tell you that you are probably doing something wrong. Every square inch of Earth has been claimed by someone... although what gives them the initial right to claim it is still a mystery. Some tell me we are "improving" the land, and thus creating the property through our efforts... To those I would invite you to take a swim in the Fox river that divides the city of Green Bay.

At any rate, the article is actually much more interesting than my predictable, tiresome anti-capitalist babble. The artist is facing a possible 15 years for filming his own arrest. Now, as if physical property rights aren't philisophically questionable enough, intellectual property can lead to results that are far more abstract and ridiculous (perhaps). I guess I'm tired of pointing out the slippery slopes and ideological inconsistencies... and I've railed on the pigs as much as I care to as well. Does anyone have a fresh perspective to view this from?
no comment
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 12:51:29 PM
I doubt the charge will stand up in court. The charge was for violating Illinois' evesdropping law because not all parties consented to being audio recorded. So, question to the cops: How can you be "evesdropped" on a public sidewalk, where there is absolutely no reasonable expectation of privacy, and you knew the camera was filming you? Hmmmmm???

And if the State tries to argue it in court, then apparently they violate the law EVERY time a police officer in Illinois pulls someone over. Why? Because what's watching and listening to the driver inside cop cars? That's right, videocamera's, complete with audio and video.

I have half a mind to drive to Illinois and purposely get pulled over just to say, "Uh, excuse me officer, but I didn't give you permission to film me, and now I'm suing you."
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 12:56:48 PM
Illinois is a really sh!tty place to live when it comes to the law.

I'd know, I live here.

Illiniois I hear is one of the worst places to live when it comes to freedom...

http://mercatus.org...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 12:57:14 PM
Excuse me, one of the worst places in the UNITED STATES.

doah
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 1:03:13 PM
I saw that months ago actually. My mom didn't believe in the law about recording police and told me how I was just being a dumb anarchist for being against sh!t like that, so I showed her that video.
I still can't believe anyone would pass a law like that tho.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 1:21:12 PM
I hate that law, because I have like a recording fetish.

I'll record random things, and string them together into musical compositions.

http://www.newgrounds.com...

I have to be careful about what I record... Or at least I'm supposed to, still doesn't really stop me.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 4:46:43 PM
Conservative/Liberal Fascism . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.