Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Equality, Liberty and Economic Rent

Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 2:02:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"There are two ways, and only two, of affecting the distribution of wealth. One is to let it distribute itself in a free market in accordance with the natural operation of economic law; the other is to distribute it arbitrarily by authority in accordance with statute law. One is Anarchism; the other is State Socialism. The latter, in its worst and most probable form, is the exploitation of labor by officialdom, and at its best is a regime of spiritless equality secured at the expense of liberty and progress; the former is a regime of liberty and progress, with as close an approximation to equality as is compatible therewith. And this is all the equality that we ought to have. A greater equality than is compatible with liberty is undesirable. The moment we invade liberty to secure equality we enter upon a road which knows no stopping-place short of the annihilation of all that is best in the human race. If absolute equality is the ideal; if no man must have the slightest advantage over another, - then the man who achieves greater results through superiority of muscle or skill or brain must not be allowed to enjoy them. All that he produces in excess of that which the weakest and stupidest produce must be taken from him and distributed among his fellows. The economic rent, not of land only, but of strength and skill and intellect and superiority of every kind, must be confiscated. And a beautiful world it would be when absolute equality had been thus achieved! Who would live in it? Certainly no freeman." - Benjamin Tucker

Equality if we can get it, but Liberty at any rate!
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 2:14:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/25/2011 2:04:59 PM, OreEle wrote:
Lol, the only options are anarchy or socialism.

A or not A. Pick a side.

Also, anarchism is a form of socialism.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 2:14:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Gentlemen, the time is coming when there will be two great classes, Socialists, and Anarchists. The Anarchists want the government to be nothing, and the Socialists want the government to be everything. There can be no greater contrast. Well, the time will come when there will be only these two great parties, the Anarchists representing the laissez faire doctrine and the Socialists representing the extreme view on the other side, and when that time comes I am an Anarchist." - William Graham Sumner
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 2:39:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/25/2011 2:14:04 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 1/25/2011 2:04:59 PM, OreEle wrote:
Lol, the only options are anarchy or socialism.

A or not A. Pick a side.

It's a false dichotomy, because non-A includes more than the perceived opposite. If "hurricane" is A, then it would be proper to say that "snow" is non-A; however, it would be ridiculous to then say that your only two choices for weather are a hurricane or a snowstorm.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 2:45:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/25/2011 2:39:39 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
It's a false dichotomy, because non-A includes more than the perceived opposite. If "hurricane" is A, then it would be proper to say that "snow" is non-A; however, it would be ridiculous to then say that your only two choices for weather are a hurricane or a snowstorm.

Either you allow wealth to "distribute" itself in a free market or you do not.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 4:35:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/25/2011 2:45:57 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 1/25/2011 2:39:39 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
It's a false dichotomy, because non-A includes more than the perceived opposite. If "hurricane" is A, then it would be proper to say that "snow" is non-A; however, it would be ridiculous to then say that your only two choices for weather are a hurricane or a snowstorm.

Either you allow wealth to "distribute" itself in a free market or you do not.

That isn't a choice between total anarchy or state socialism.