Jump to topic:

Prosperity of nations (peoples)

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:26:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Was reading over at the IMDB politics board, someone was arguing that it is stupid for people to declare themselves president for life. Somebody replied, people accepting that are stupider.

Well, seeing as normal common people have things like earning a livelihood to think of, it's quite rare to expect a majority of these normal people to think much about their politics, let alone take steps to change it for the better. They'll do so only if they are forced to, or have no choice but to, or are repressed so much that their blood is brought to a boil!

Given that, I hold that it's easier for nations that start small to have a good political system in place which will lead to prosperity.

So, conversely, which nations do you think started big and are still managing to prosper? And why?

My surmise would be (as my name would suggest) India.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 11:47:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Great Britain. Their success has to do with the ability to adjust governmental policy in accordance with what's necessary to maintain prosperity. Enacting secular democratic reforms, giving up the global empire after Hitler bankrupted them, contemporary austerity cuts, etc.

The US would probably be just the opposite -- starting small.