Jump to topic:

Should Juveniles Be Tried As Adults?

Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 9:14:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Juveniles Should Be Tried As Adults For Violent Felonies.
Anyone got any good Pro/Con points [w/ sources, if possible]? I'm doing a paper for school, and I'd like to enhance my notes.

Thanks!
Charlie Eppes: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Colby Granger: Uhhh... no.
----------
NUMB3RS
Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 10:41:12 PM
At 1/31/2011 9:28:21 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Adults should be tried as juveniles.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with that. But why?
Charlie Eppes: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Colby Granger: Uhhh... no.
----------
NUMB3RS
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 10:46:47 PM
At 1/31/2011 10:41:12 PM, Qynze wrote:

The current justice system conditions people to be worse than they were when they got in, rather than treating them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 11:01:14 PM
At 1/31/2011 10:46:47 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/31/2011 10:41:12 PM, Qynze wrote:

The current justice system conditions people to be worse than they were when they got in, rather than treating them.

I agree.

Seeings how I spent 2 months and a week in jail.

First night I was in, my cell mate showed me how to make a shank out of common jail items.

The secret to staying alive in jail is as simple as having balls without being a d!ck about it....

But after going to jail, I will say that there are very few people in the world who deserve that kind of hell. Jail sucks.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 12:32:57 AM
The system just needs more common sense. People are going to jail for victimless crimes. I know a lady, a notary, who's going to jail for four years because she forgot to record something. Yet people who f!ck up our environment and resources, lie us into wars, and sell their representation walk free.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is a good standard for both juveniles and adults. Paper trails, photographic evidence, and DNA evidence should be the standard, not witness testimony. One study found that 75% of people don't notice that the person they started talking to changed into a different person--even wearing different colors.

...whoops, and I dunked my hair into my soup. Nice.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 1:19:29 AM
Trying juveniles as adults is a contradiction in terms. Juveniles aren't yet responsible for their actions; their parents bear the most culpability. In our competitive system, however, parents are not free enough to secure problem-children because their first duty is to production, not safety. Children across the nation are being emotionally damaged by the shrinking schedule of the modern parent. Competition demands that employers apply a constant pressure to get more out of us, whether that be 60 hr work-weeks or multiple jobs. We're literally trading our children's development for the ability to buy pre-prepared, economy sized/low quality goods. When we end up with problems from children who are being neglected, we choose to simply make the punishments increasingly ridiculous instead of fixing the underlying problem. As if a kid who is planning on gunning down his class-mates tomorrow in school (who most likely is not making it out alive) is going to decide not to because we're getting tougher on kids; the very nature of a kid is that he or she is unable to fully explore the causes and effects of decisions so our policywork is really quite moot.
no comment