Jump to topic:

Existing laws that you hate but...

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 1:48:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We all have our peeves with some of the existing laws where we feel that they are not needed. In fact, we may even have lists and lists of them.

But I was wondering, conversely, if there are laws that are probably needed, but you pesonally hate it and wish it were not there? I was hoping you'd avoid the usual drinking age, voting age, sexual consent age kind of things :)

One thing I would personally like to see gone is the income tax, but I kinda get why it's needed....
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 1:57:59 PM
In my city you can't not mow your lawn. If you don't, the city will send you a notice. If you still don't, the city will send a worker to mow your lawn and then bill you for it.

I think it's stupid and unnecessary and, even though that's not the thread topic, I just felt like ranting.

In terms of a law I hate but I think is necessary: by law, we have to shovel the sidewalk in front of our house. We don't own the sidewalk in front of our house, but if someone slips on it, we're responsible. I guess I get that.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 2:07:40 PM
At 2/4/2011 1:54:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:
murder. I hate that i can't kill people, but I can kind of see why it is necessary.

I was looking more on the lines of laws that you grudgingly accept :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 2:37:38 PM
Prostitution.

I have no problem with the idea of two consenting adults exchanging sex for money, but it just causes too many problems when legalized, so I understand why it's illegal in most places.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:55:38 PM
Laws are an illusion made by some guy who thinks they are the man to keep a brother down.

Laws or no laws, there are still laws. Enforcement or no enforcement, there is still enforcement.

Survival is a matter of social physics
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 5:33:40 AM
At 2/4/2011 1:57:59 PM, nonentity wrote:
In my city you can't not mow your lawn. If you don't, the city will send you a notice. If you still don't, the city will send a worker to mow your lawn and then bill you for it.

I think it's stupid and unnecessary and, even though that's not the thread topic, I just felt like ranting.

In terms of a law I hate but I think is necessary: by law, we have to shovel the sidewalk in front of our house. We don't own the sidewalk in front of our house, but if someone slips on it, we're responsible. I guess I get that.

i think those are two crazy laws. the state takes care off things like the second one here...i suppose we pay taxes for it though.. and the state is probabl liable for any injuries incurred due to them not having done their job i suppose.. dunno if that's a better or worse way to have it..
signature
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 6:18:01 PM
I can't really think of any unless I mention something predictable such as the voting age(lower it to 16) although maybe there's some silly bylaws similar to what nonentity was pointing out. However, removing snow from the sidewalk is pretty reasonable since there's safety reasons behind it.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 6:20:00 PM
At 2/4/2011 2:37:38 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Prostitution.

I have no problem with the idea of two consenting adults exchanging sex for money, but it just causes too many problems when legalized, so I understand why it's illegal in most places.
That is a plausible view.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 6:50:20 PM
Speed limits.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 6:55:36 PM
taxes.

Yeah, I went there, anarchists.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 6:58:22 PM
Child labor laws
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 7:05:43 PM
At 2/6/2011 6:50:20 PM, mongoose wrote:
Speed limits.

And I do not believe they are probably needed, just realized the "but..." led to something.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 7:08:59 PM
I hate all laws that interfere with my life.

- Speed limits
- Drinking age (Whenever I'm at parties, I have to worry about being responsible if there's minors that I could be accused of giving alcohol to)
- Drug laws
- Proof of insurance requirement
- Car registration sticker
- Parking meters
- etc.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 7:10:28 PM
At 2/6/2011 7:08:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

- Speed limits
- Drinking age (Whenever I'm at parties, I have to worry about being responsible if there's minors that I could be accused of giving alcohol to)
- Drug laws
- Parking meters
- etc.

Nevermind, all of these laws are NOT needed except maybe speed limits.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 7:20:00 PM
At 2/6/2011 7:10:28 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/6/2011 7:08:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

- Speed limits
- Drug laws
- Parking meters
- etc.

Nevermind, all of these laws are NOT needed except maybe speed limits.

And child labor
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 7:33:28 PM
At 2/6/2011 7:22:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/6/2011 6:58:22 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Child labor laws

Seriously? Why is that?

I hate the fact it is against the law for teens and young adults to make money by working for a company but I see the importance of keeping kids in school, and also to keep kids fro getting injured doing work, but I don't see why we cannot work on weekends and vacation periods.
Minister Of Trolling
:
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 7:35:27 PM
At 2/6/2011 7:33:28 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 2/6/2011 7:22:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/6/2011 6:58:22 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Child labor laws

Seriously? Why is that?

I hate the fact it is against the law for teens and young adults to make money by working for a company but I see the importance of keeping kids in school, and also to keep kids fro getting injured doing work, but I don't see why we cannot work on weekends and vacation periods.

Here children as young as 12 I think can work as long as they have parental consent. However, I personally think school is more important until a child reaches a certain age, but considering there's no school on weekends or holidays...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 8:52:27 PM
At 2/4/2011 1:57:59 PM, nonentity wrote:

You should not mow your lawn out of spite/an effort to get that law changed.

O_o

You're responsible if someone gets injured on the public property near your house? That's just stupid.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:00:12 PM
At 2/6/2011 8:52:27 PM, Korashk wrote:
You're responsible if someone gets injured on the public property near your house? That's just stupid.
True. Actually, even in my country, if you slip on the ice in front of someone's gate, you might have to pay many thousands of dollars, I think, if they fall and get hurt. Possibly over a hundred thousand dollars.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:02:11 PM
free the shovel slaves!
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:58:35 PM
Penis inspection day in primary school. I failed and they make you keep going every week until you go to middle school.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:59:49 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:58:35 PM, Sieben wrote:
Penis inspection day in primary school. I failed and they make you keep going every week until you go to middle school.

wtf? O.o
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 10:01:56 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:58:35 PM, Sieben wrote:

lol
Should we subsidize education?

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 10:18:42 PM
At 2/6/2011 8:52:27 PM, Korashk wrote:

Yep.