Jump to topic:

No child left behind.

blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 8:02:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I recently started a forum on capital punishment. In it, someone addressed not using resources where they're not going to repay us. So, what is everyone's opinion on no child left behind, and why?

Personally, I'm against it. I think it's a waist of money. The people are going to end up working low end jobs that require little to no education. Instead, we should invest the money on the higher end of the spectrum. The kids in AP and Honors classes. They will go further. Investing more in them is what will catch us up to Japan and other countries that are getting ahead of us.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 8:26:09 AM
Titled students and first class studentd don't develop a country in the way you think. Japan's economic growth is rooted in it's industry, over 45% of their GDP lies in the exports of secondary goods: PCs, Hard Disks, industrial machinery. Since it's boom in the 1970 Japan has just been lucked out on being in one of the only countries is a fairly empty market. Japan also doesn t have much of a welfare surplus class like the west does.

No Child Life Behind was to stop [crossout]black people[/crossout] working class people from failing school and living of the dole(welfare). The percentage of people in welfare has generally been rising since its introduction.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 10:52:24 AM
Why are you now talking about welfare? And as for the comparison with Japan, I was referring to the fact that they are ahead of us in field such as robotics. We are one of the most powerful countries in the world, and we are being beaten by a small island country that isn't even allowed to keep an army?

djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 12:06:34 PM
At 2/6/2011 10:52:24 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are you now talking about welfare? And as for the comparison with Japan, I was referring to the fact that they are ahead of us in field such as robotics. We are one of the most powerful countries in the world, and we are being beaten by a small island country that isn't even allowed to keep an army?

Why would having a big Army lead you to believe we should be ahead of the Japanese in robotics?
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 1:50:25 PM
At 2/6/2011 12:06:34 PM, djsherin wrote:

Why would having a big Army lead you to believe we should be ahead of the Japanese in robotics?

If anything, it leaves more money left for investment in robots.
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 2:26:58 PM
At 2/6/2011 1:50:25 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:

If anything, it leaves more money left for investment in robots.

I was trying to see his line of thought. It doesn't necessarily follow that having a big military should lead to good robotics technology.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 2:39:48 PM
No Child Left Behind is only bad in the fact it cuts funds and accreditation from underachieving schools which is backwards considering we should invest more time and money into those school to fix the problems that exist within the educational system there, we need to remove the corrupt bureaucrats that tend to dominate the educational system boards and replace them with people who are actually knowledgeable about the needs of the schools and students.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 6:59:11 PM
At 2/6/2011 3:30:01 PM, mongeese wrote:
Federal intervention in schools isn't even constitutional. They have no place in education.

You just want to skip school, admit it.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 2:09:37 PM

Well, first of all I was more trying to get across the point that they're beaten to nothing as far as a military force goes thanks to the allies, and that a dominant country should be able to get ahead. With that being said, an army with a good budget will lead us forward considering a lot of inventions, such as GPS, come from the military.

djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 3:20:46 PM
At 2/7/2011 2:09:37 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

Well, first of all I was more trying to get across the point that they're beaten to nothing as far as a military force goes thanks to the allies, and that a dominant country should be able to get ahead. With that being said, an army with a good budget will lead us forward considering a lot of inventions, such as GPS, come from the military.

The part about military funding is partially true. Yes new technology comes from the military, but it's achieved very inefficiently... it's the military. What is also not considered is what would have been done with that money had it not been diverted to the military. Various regressions have been done that show that public funding of science/technology disproportionately displace private funding. Private sector funding also tends to be geared towards things that will likely end up being useful to people since the private sector has to turn a profit, and profit is only achieved if consumers are willing to pay for the good/service (thus the incentive to invest in R&D that will make people's lives better). The private sector in Japan spends massively on R&D with its government spending little (relative to other governments). It may seem a little weird at first, but it makes sense that they outperform the US in this area.

There are also things like comparative advantage you have to consider. Japan is an island nation that has to import a lot of things it can't make domestically, so it will tend to focus on other things that it can use both domestically and for export.