Total Posts:165|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How libertarian are you?

InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 2:58:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.bcaplan.com...

This test is likely biased, but it's fun nonetheless. It'll give you a score from 0-160 to determine how libertarian minded you are. btw, I scored 55. Not too bad I suppose, considering where I used to be on the political spectrum.
juvanya
Posts: 613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 3:07:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thief. :P

I got 156, but that was only because I caved on the privatization of public lands, which I probably do support in reality...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 3:09:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 3:07:00 AM, juvanya wrote:
Thief. :P

I got 156, but that was only because I caved on the privatization of public lands, which I probably do support in reality...

Nope. :P

And you're so dogmatic, gosh!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 3:12:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I got 71.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
juvanya
Posts: 613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 4:10:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
What Your Score Means
0 points: You are not a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination. You are probably not even a liberal or a conservative. Just some Nazi nut, I guess.
1-5 points: You have a few libertarian notions, but overall you're a statist.
6-15 points: You are starting to have libertarian leanings. Explore them.
16-30 points: You are a soft-core libertarian. With effort, you may harden and become pure.
31-50 points: Your libertarian credentials are obvious. Doubtlessly you will become more extreme as time goes on.
51-90 points: You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.
91-130 points: You have entered the heady realm of hard-core libertarianism. Now doesn't that make you feel worse that you didn't get a perfect score?
131-159 points: You are nearly a perfect libertarian, with a tiny number of blind spots. Think about them, then take the test over again. On the other hand, if you scored this high, you probably have a good libertarian objection to my suggested libertarian answer. :-)
160 points: Perfect! The world needs more like you.

In case anyone wants to look at the definitions again.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 4:21:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
My score: 11.

Apparently I am starting to have Libertarian leanings which I should explore - what a load of old bollocks!

Those questions just got more and more extreme: I thought it must be a wind-up when they (apparently) seriously suggested that the law should be privatized.

Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 4:28:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 4:21:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
My score: 11.

Apparently I am starting to have Libertarian leanings which I should explore - what a load of old bollocks!

Those questions just got more and more extreme: I thought it must be a wind-up when they (apparently) seriously suggested that the law should be privatized.

some of the questions were a bit extreme, which is why I suggested the quiz is probably biased. By the end it mentioned things about abolishing the state altogether. That's too extreme for my tastes.

Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!

And no, that's not really how the libertarian legal system works. I know in an an-cap system people would just pay each other compensation and I'm sure it works in a similar manner in a minarchist system. If that's the case I don't think too many people would be committing crimes to begin with. You out of everybody should know that dirty greedy capitalists never want to part with their money. ;P
juvanya
Posts: 613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 4:40:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 4:21:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Apparently I am starting to have Libertarian leanings which I should explore - what a load of old bollocks!
Not at all. 11 only makes you a tid libertarian. 0 is a dyed in the wool statist.

Those questions just got more and more extreme: I thought it must be a wind-up when they (apparently) seriously suggested that the law should be privatized.

Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!
No, its just that you can choose your judge. That way crappy judges are competed out.
http://mises.org...

At 2/6/2011 4:28:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
some of the questions were a bit extreme, which is why I suggested the quiz is probably biased. By the end it mentioned things about abolishing the state altogether. That's too extreme for my tastes.
Its not biased. It says "Libertarian Quiz" for cryin out loud!
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 4:42:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 4:40:28 AM, juvanya wrote:

Its not biased. It says "Libertarian Quiz" for cryin out loud!

Except that not everybody on this site is libertarian.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 4:49:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 4:21:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
My score: 11.

Apparently I am starting to have Libertarian leanings which I should explore - what a load of old bollocks!

Those questions just got more and more extreme: I thought it must be a wind-up when they (apparently) seriously suggested that the law should be privatized.

Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!

Wait, a libertarian country?
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 5:43:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
109, mostly because I answered yes to all the questions before part 3, and no to almost all of them after.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
juvanya
Posts: 613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 7:03:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 4:42:18 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/6/2011 4:40:28 AM, juvanya wrote:

Its not biased. It says "Libertarian Quiz" for cryin out loud!

Except that not everybody on this site is libertarian.

So? I wouldnt call a How communist are you? quiz biased. Thats what it is...
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 7:36:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I scored 44.

The test maker though that if the test were scientifically applied to the general population the average score would be about 15. I think that's a good estimate.

IMHO, a score above 140 indicates you are most likely under age 25.

Milton Friedman would not have scored as an economic libertarian.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 8:07:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
156-7 IIRC. I think there was one question where I answered "unlibertarian" because I had a different interpretation of homesteading or something.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 8:51:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
32 apparently I shall become more hardcore with time, well I once took this test and made a 160 but now I have a 32 I believe its the other way around.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:13:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
36. Ewww I wont become more extreme. At least not with 'support' for libertarianism.
And mikey just the way the results are given shows clear bias.
You wouldn't like if a communist quiz called you a filthy, hairy, monkey that throws feces and eats bugs all day, even if its not far off.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:43:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
130.

According to statistics (http://econfaculty.gmu.edu...), the question most commonly answered yes was:
"Do you believe in freedom of expression for books, newspapers, radio, television, the Internet, and so on, even for offensive and unpopular views and subject matters?"

The most commonly unanswered question was:
"Should all of the Federal Reserve's discretionary powers be eliminated and the monetary base frozen?"

The question with the most "no" responses was:
"Should the law itself be privatized?"

The quiz ranked the user on a scale of status-quo to anarcho-capitalist. This makes it surprising that there aren't a mass of zeros.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:52:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 9:43:36 AM, wjmelements wrote:
130.

According to statistics (http://econfaculty.gmu.edu...), the question most commonly answered yes was:
"Do you believe in freedom of expression for books, newspapers, radio, television, the Internet, and so on, even for offensive and unpopular views and subject matters?"

The most commonly unanswered question was:
"Should all of the Federal Reserve's discretionary powers be eliminated and the monetary base frozen?"

The question with the most "no" responses was:
"Should the law itself be privatized?"

The quiz ranked the user on a scale of status-quo to anarcho-capitalist. This makes it surprising that there aren't a mass of zeros.

What exactly does that mean "monetary base frozen".
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 12:06:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 4:40:28 AM, juvanya wrote:
Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!
No, its just that you can choose your judge. That way crappy judges are competed out.
You can choose your own "judge," or more precisely, binding arbitrator, right now. If both parties agree on that. A government "judge" only steps in when they can't agree.

I scored 97, because this defines purity in terms of anarchy, whereas I'm a minarchist. That and I don't consider retaliatory war inherently immoral, nor various means of prepping power projection for that.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 12:07:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 9:52:05 AM, innomen wrote:
At 2/6/2011 9:43:36 AM, wjmelements wrote:
130.

According to statistics (http://econfaculty.gmu.edu...), the question most commonly answered yes was:
"Do you believe in freedom of expression for books, newspapers, radio, television, the Internet, and so on, even for offensive and unpopular views and subject matters?"

The most commonly unanswered question was:
"Should all of the Federal Reserve's discretionary powers be eliminated and the monetary base frozen?"

The question with the most "no" responses was:
"Should the law itself be privatized?"

The quiz ranked the user on a scale of status-quo to anarcho-capitalist. This makes it surprising that there aren't a mass of zeros.

What exactly does that mean "monetary base frozen".

Either A. a dollar never gets printed again.
Or B. A dollar only gets printed when it's shown to some extent that another dollar is missing or destroyed.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
djsherin
Posts: 343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 12:09:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 4:21:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
My score: 11.

Apparently I am starting to have Libertarian leanings which I should explore - what a load of old bollocks!

Those questions just got more and more extreme: I thought it must be a wind-up when they (apparently) seriously suggested that the law should be privatized.

Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!

Lol, that's laughable seeing as private law has existed and does exist all over the world and cases are not determined by who has more money.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 12:16:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 12:09:30 PM, djsherin wrote:
At 2/6/2011 4:21:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
My score: 11.

Apparently I am starting to have Libertarian leanings which I should explore - what a load of old bollocks!

Those questions just got more and more extreme: I thought it must be a wind-up when they (apparently) seriously suggested that the law should be privatized.

Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!

Lol, that's laughable seeing as private law has existed and does exist all over the world and cases are not determined by who has more money.

They don't? They don't let rich people out of jail just for being rich?
They don't target people who are more likely poor?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 12:16:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 12:07:27 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 2/6/2011 9:52:05 AM, innomen wrote:
At 2/6/2011 9:43:36 AM, wjmelements wrote:
130.

According to statistics (http://econfaculty.gmu.edu...), the question most commonly answered yes was:
"Do you believe in freedom of expression for books, newspapers, radio, television, the Internet, and so on, even for offensive and unpopular views and subject matters?"

The most commonly unanswered question was:
"Should all of the Federal Reserve's discretionary powers be eliminated and the monetary base frozen?"

The question with the most "no" responses was:
"Should the law itself be privatized?"

The quiz ranked the user on a scale of status-quo to anarcho-capitalist. This makes it surprising that there aren't a mass of zeros.

What exactly does that mean "monetary base frozen".

Either A. a dollar never gets printed again.
Or B. A dollar only gets printed when it's shown to some extent that another dollar is missing or destroyed.

Ooooh I would agree with that.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
djsherin
Posts: 343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 12:19:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 12:16:08 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 2/6/2011 12:09:30 PM, djsherin wrote:
At 2/6/2011 4:21:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
My score: 11.

Apparently I am starting to have Libertarian leanings which I should explore - what a load of old bollocks!

Those questions just got more and more extreme: I thought it must be a wind-up when they (apparently) seriously suggested that the law should be privatized.

Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!

Lol, that's laughable seeing as private law has existed and does exist all over the world and cases are not determined by who has more money.

They don't? They don't let rich people out of jail just for being rich?
They don't target people who are more likely poor?

What private law are you thinking of? All the examples in my mind don't even make use of prison.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 12:21:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
^Its cus when they hear "private" they think money. In reality, private includes both markets AND social mechanisms. The state, in theory, is supposed to be a social mechanism. So I don't see why you can't use the same logic to understand why private-social mechanisms wouldn't work the same way.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 1:29:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/6/2011 4:21:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
My score: 11.

Apparently I am starting to have Libertarian leanings which I should explore - what a load of old bollocks!

Those questions just got more and more extreme: I thought it must be a wind-up when they (apparently) seriously suggested that the law should be privatized.

Can you imagine that? In a Libertarian country the outcome of legal cases would be not be decided upon who is right and who is wrong, rather than upon who is richer, the plaintiff or the defendant!

Not only that, you would have various police forces and courts competing in a free market, that is just retarded.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.