Jump to topic:

Laurence Labadie

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 4:34:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone know anything about this guy? I just recently heard of him. Why isn't he more widely known?

"First we manufacture indigent and superfluous people by legal monopolies in land, money and idea patents, erecting tariff barriers to protect monopolies from foreign competition, and taxing laborers to subsidize rich farmers and privileged manufacturers. Then we create 'social workers,' etc., to care for them and thereby establish a self-aggravating and permanent institutionalized phenomenon." - Laurence Labadie
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
TombLikeBomb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:42:18 PM
At 2/6/2011 4:34:22 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Does anyone know anything about this guy? I just recently heard of him. Why isn't he more widely known?

"First we manufacture indigent and superfluous people by legal monopolies in land, money and idea patents, erecting tariff barriers to protect monopolies from foreign competition, and taxing laborers to subsidize rich farmers and privileged manufacturers. Then we create 'social workers,' etc., to care for them and thereby establish a self-aggravating and permanent institutionalized phenomenon." - Laurence Labadie

Labadie is a librarian, a keeper of Proudhon's rightfully forgotten sermons, and librarians are never famous. He offered nothing that wasn't put to rest a hundred years before him in The Poverty of Philosophy.
From the time of the progressive era with the rise of public schooling through the post-WWII period, capital invaded the time workers had liberated from waged work and shaped it for purposes of social control. Perhaps the most obvious moment of this colonization was the re-incarceration in schools of the young (who were expelled from the factories by child labor laws) such that what might have been free time was structured to convert their life energies into labor power.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:51:45 PM
At 2/6/2011 4:34:22 PM, Reasoning wrote:

I'm so stealing this quote for my debate.