Total Posts:163|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is "race" still an issue with America today ?

interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 9:18:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Race. It seems that the problem with this will never end. But we do have
a Black President in the White House. So what gives ? Why is there so much
racism in America today ? What is the reason for it still being an issue anyway ?
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 11:47:17 AM
At 2/10/2011 9:18:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
racism in America today ? What is the reason for it still being an issue anyway ?

I don't encounter racism expect when people tell me how racist America is.
TombLikeBomb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 11:53:00 AM

Obama's one of the good ones. The reason is de facto segregation, which is a predicatable result of capitalism, even without assuming the past de jure segregation that happens to apply in this case.
From the time of the progressive era with the rise of public schooling through the post-WWII period, capital invaded the time workers had liberated from waged work and shaped it for purposes of social control. Perhaps the most obvious moment of this colonization was the re-incarceration in schools of the young (who were expelled from the factories by child labor laws) such that what might have been free time was structured to convert their life energies into labor power.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 12:13:53 PM
Humanity will always have the same problems.

Government or no government, there will always be slavery.

Slavery or no slavery, there will always be laws.

Laws or no laws, there will always be culture.

Culture or no culture, there will always be hate.

Hate or no hate, there will always be discrimination.

Discrimination or no discrimination there will always be choice.

Choice or no choice, our farts all smell pretty bad.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:27:17 PM

Is race still an issue in America today? I'm afraid it is, but today people vent their feelings about race obliquely by voicing "concerns" about immigration. Immigration bashing is the current politically-correct form that racism has taken for "nice" people who don't wish to view themselves as bigots.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:32:15 PM
Race is still an issue (I mean look at Sieben) but it is not as pronounced and severe as it was in earlier years.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:43:07 PM
Genetically, "race" doesn't really exist. If you are wondering if whether the fact that many people are prejudiced against those whose notch on the skin-pigment continuum is slightly to the right is a significant issue, then no. Today "race" tends to only be used to advance a preexisting political agenda that's not "race" related.
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 11:29:36 PM
At 2/10/2011 4:32:15 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Race is still an issue (I mean look at Sieben) but it is not as pronounced and severe as it was in earlier years.

How is he racist?
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 11:31:48 PM
At 2/10/2011 11:29:36 PM, djsherin wrote:

How is he racist?

Maybe if you count stupid people (see: SuperRobotWars) as a separate race.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:13:03 AM
At 2/10/2011 11:47:17 AM, djsherin wrote:

I don't encounter racism expect when people tell me how racist America is.

That's probably because nobody has the gall to say it to your face. I live in the south, and being white, I often hear friends (not really friends at this point) and other people say some pretty stupid crap about black people, and they mean it. The thing is, they don't say it in front of black people because they don't want to get beat up.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 8:44:00 AM
At 2/11/2011 8:30:21 AM, Sieben wrote:
My friends say stupid crap about black people and believe it cus its kinda true.

The lyrics to this song sum it up pretty well.

I'm just gonna leave these photos here... and a few words above them...

THESE MEN ARE RACISTS

http://static.businessinsider.com...

http://randallhmiller.com...

http://fmonster.files.wordpress.com...
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 8:44:09 AM
My friends say stupid crap about black people and believe it cus its kinda true.

Like what.
President of DDO
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 8:45:37 AM
At 2/11/2011 8:44:00 AM, m93samman wrote:

The lyrics to this song sum it up pretty well.

I'm just gonna leave these photos here... and a few words above them...

THESE MEN ARE RACISTS

http://static.businessinsider.com...

http://randallhmiller.com...

http://fmonster.files.wordpress.com...

by sum it up, I mean sum up what I feel about racism
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 9:44:00 AM
At 2/11/2011 8:44:09 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Like what.

Mmm jokes about their intelligence, culture, and ability to feed families of 4.
Things that are so interesting:

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:50:06 PM
At 2/10/2011 11:31:48 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

How is he racist?

Maybe if you count stupid people (see: LaissezFaire) as a separate race.

Fix'd

See some of his other posts on the society forum, you'll see.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 3:10:36 PM
At 2/11/2011 2:50:06 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 2/10/2011 11:31:48 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

How is he racist?

Maybe if you count stupid people (see: LaissezFaire) as a separate race.

Fix'd

See some of his other posts on the society forum, you'll see.

Minister Of Trolling
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 3:20:10 PM
At 2/11/2011 3:16:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The only thing that fixes racism is time and education. It's hard to legislate it.

You can legislate the education.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 3:20:22 PM
At 2/11/2011 3:16:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The only thing that fixes racism is time and education. It's hard to legislate it.

Agreed, you win this thread! Click to redeem your prize now http://giveupinternet.com...
Minister Of Trolling
:
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 3:58:15 PM

Of course we are, and it makes me sick. I live in the South! It's bad!

People are all like, "Dat dere Obama's a commie who wants ter steal our guns and from aferca!" Why didn't all this tea party stuff start with Bush or Clinton or even Reagan? Jimmy Carter is right, the Tea Party stuff started basically by racism. (There are sincere people in it, though.)

I know many people who are racist, and it won't go away. It's stuck in our culture now.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Amethyst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:05:13 PM
The Klan still exists so I would say: yes; it is an issue. People whine about being discriminated against and oppressed when they shouldn't be doing so, but just because some people exaggerate, it doesn't mean people don't discriminate base on "race". So many of us believe we've moved past that stage, but they're wrong. When you think of someone in a gang, what color is the skin? How many police men use racial profiling (when there is little evidence to prove it works, and there is also a little evidence that it doesn't work) still today? Yeah; most of us are prejudiced. People of all races sticking with each other because of their common "race", and making fun of other races without understanding their victims is a problem.
"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence." - Erich Fromm
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:10:27 PM
At 2/11/2011 9:44:00 AM, Sieben wrote:

Like what.

The problem is that they attribute the reasons for this to race instead of cultural, economic, and historic factors. In other words, what they're saying isn't 'kinda' true.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 6:05:02 PM
At 2/11/2011 4:10:27 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 2/11/2011 9:44:00 AM, Sieben wrote:

Like what.

The problem is that they attribute the reasons for this to race instead of cultural, economic, and historic factors. In other words, what they're saying isn't 'kinda' true.

They never made a causal argument. "Black people are less intelligent than whites". Race=causal? donno. You can still assert it.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 6:43:10 PM

It would probably only be an issue if say something like a college or scholarship gave preferential treatment to one race or another or if say government contracts were given out to companies owned by a certain race, oh wait. Ya Race is still an issue.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 11:25:00 PM
At 2/11/2011 6:05:02 PM, Sieben wrote:

They never made a causal argument. "Black people are less intelligent than whites". Race=causal? donno. You can still assert it.

I don't know about your friends, but the people I know tend to be focused solely on blacks, and the implication is that their race is the cause.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 12:53:45 AM
I had a statistic but I can't find it. It showed the percentage of people in America who refuse to vote for someone based on certain characteristics. The percentage who wouldn't vote for blacks was shocking, I believe it was 5%.

The characteristic on the list with the highest percentage of people who wouldn't vote for them was Atheists, I don't remember how high.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 9:43:23 AM
At 2/11/2011 11:25:00 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 2/11/2011 6:05:02 PM, Sieben wrote:

I don't know about your friends, but the people I know tend to be focused solely on blacks, and the implication is that their race is the cause.

Well, lets say they thought race were a cause, and lets say that superscience has proven that race has absolutely nothing to do with it and its all environmental.

They would be wrong, but they'd reach the right conclusions. So it would be *as if* they knew the truth. Just like how it is as if Tiger Woods knows and can nearly perfectly simulate newtonian physics and aerodynamics even though he'd fail a scientific test.

Why is one immoral? (or are they both immoral :P)

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 9:55:25 AM
Is it an "issue"? As long as we or some key individuals keep it an issue. Apparently there are certain groups that are okay to stereotype and have fun with, and others that are off limits, and there is certain gradation in that too. For example, i have a bad habit of making fun of people from Maine, and that seems to be more okay, than if i were making fun of black people. There are some that society doesn't just tolerate, but seems to revel in like rednecks, and depending on where you are, political groups. Then there is the gay thing, and that seems okay to a point, and in certain circumstances. Jews are also iffy, you generally don't want to be considered anti-semitic because you are then a Nazi (I know, semitic doesn't necessarily mean Jewish). Now the whole thing with race is also a little tricky, because blacks are off limits, then Latinos, then Asians (just my experience, no real facts here). Everyone makes judgments, and that won't change, and i'm not sure to some extent it should, but to the degree it's an issue depends on those who make it such for us.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 10:03:16 AM
Morgan Freeman solves the race problem. Solved... Go home.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)