Jump to topic:

why is smoking legal besides to profit the US

joshuaXlawyer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 12:11:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Smoking causes cancer... this is proven, its bad for your lungs and dip cause even worse cancers.
However the US keeps tobacco legal why do we do this?
We won't allow people to use other types of drugs like crack ,heroin,meth,ice,cocaine and etc...
Which are very toxic, yet smoking is legal. Why it seems a little hypocritical, Some might say its a person choice to smoke however we don't allow people to commit suicide which in a sense smoking is kind of like suicide.
You kill yourself over nicotine, your thoughts?
I say its because the U.S makes to much money off of it and they forget welfare of the populace and needs of the government for money.
Objection!!!! thats baseless conjecture!!
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 12:22:08 PM
At 2/10/2011 12:11:22 PM, joshuaXlawyer wrote:
Smoking causes cancer... this is proven, its bad for your lungs and dip cause even worse cancers.
We won't allow people to use other types of drugs like crack ,heroin,meth,ice,cocaine and etc...
Which are very toxic, yet smoking is legal. Why it seems a little hypocritical.

It is hypocritical.

Some might say its a person choice to smoke however we don't allow people to commit suicide which in a sense smoking is kind of like suicide.

I don't know where you live, but suicide is legal in America.

I say its because the U.S makes to much money off of it and they forget welfare of the populace and needs of the government for money.

Welfare of the populace shouldn't be the government's job anyways.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 12:58:42 PM
Which are very toxic, yet smoking is legal. Why it seems a little hypocritical, Some might say its a person choice to smoke however we don't allow people to commit suicide which in a sense smoking is kind of like suicide.

Everyone alive is dying. If you aren't alive you can't die and if you are alive you must die. Living causes dying. Living should be illegal.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 1:36:09 PM
At 2/10/2011 12:58:42 PM, djsherin wrote:

Everyone alive is dying. If you aren't alive you can't die and if you are alive you must die. Living causes dying. Living should be illegal.

Life is a race towards death, shortcuts should not be allowed.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 1:53:06 PM

Because people should be allowed put what they want into their body when they want to.

Which are very toxic, yet smoking is legal. Why it seems a little hypocritical,

Yes, very hypocritical that the government arbitrarily approves of one substance and dismissed others.

Some might say its a person choice to smoke however we don't allow people to commit suicide which in a sense smoking is kind of like suicide.

If smoking is suicide then so is sex and a variety of other things with a possibility of death. Aside from that point, why should people not be allowed commit suicide?

The welfare of the populace isn't as important as the welfare of the individual, which should be decided by the individual.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:14:45 PM
At 2/10/2011 1:36:09 PM, OreEle wrote:

Psh if you find a shortcut you should be allowed to exploit it for personal gain.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:32:08 PM

The inevitably of death doesn't make life a race to it.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:41:58 PM
At 2/10/2011 2:32:08 PM, djsherin wrote:

The inevitably of death doesn't make life a race to it.

it is if you are emo.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:12:56 PM
At 2/10/2011 2:56:14 PM, Aibohphobia wrote:
Smoking is legal because SO many people smoke. If we tried to ban smoking it would just be a repeat of prohibition.

This.

Sadly, that's the truth. I despise smoking so much...
Aibohphobia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:14:18 PM
At 2/10/2011 3:12:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Smoking is legal because SO many people smoke. If we tried to ban smoking it would just be a repeat of prohibition.

This.

Same here, it just smells so bad.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:18:30 PM
At 2/10/2011 3:14:18 PM, Aibohphobia wrote:

This.

Mhm.

I told my bf that if he ever started smoking that I would break up with him. I was serious too. It's such a turn-off and something I can't put up with. Thankfully, he pretty much feels the same way. I can't date a smoker, lol.
Aibohphobia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:21:20 PM
At 2/10/2011 3:18:30 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

This.

Mhm.

I told my bf that if he ever started smoking that I would break up with him. I was serious too. It's such a turn-off and something I can't put up with. Thankfully, he pretty much feels the same way. I can't date a smoker, lol.

I don't think I could either, at the least they'd have to quit fairly quickly.
joshuaXlawyer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 8:22:50 PM

This.

Mhm.

yeah but theres no attempt at stopping future smoker beside like these stupid commericals and school programs which isnt helping the problem
Objection!!!! thats baseless conjecture!!
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 9:48:15 PM
At 2/10/2011 8:22:50 PM, joshuaXlawyer wrote:
yeah but theres no attempt at stopping future smoker beside like these stupid commericals and school programs which isnt helping the problem

Why should there be an attempt to stop future smokers?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:06:00 PM

You mean, like the drug war we have today?
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:09:53 PM
At 2/10/2011 10:06:00 PM, mongeese wrote:

You mean, like the drug war Mexico is having today?

^I think that'd be more accurate, LOL
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:17:12 AM
I don't understand why people hate smoking so much. I don't smoke, but I don't mind when people smoke around me at all. It's annoying to breathe in and stuff, but I look at it as their choice, and in a public area, they should be able to do what they want in terms of smoking...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:19:37 AM
At 2/11/2011 12:17:12 AM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
I don't understand why people hate smoking so much. I don't smoke, but I don't mind when people smoke around me at all. It's annoying to breathe in and stuff, but I look at it as their choice, and in a public area, they should be able to do what they want in terms of smoking...

*smokes some nerve gas next to atheistallegiance*
*also sneezes on him without even attempting to cover mouth*
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:21:40 AM
That said, it's probably impractical to enforce smoking laws beyond at most "if a cop sees you do it get a ticket)-- and certainly OP's grounds are terrible. Carcinogens should be freely available even if the practical issues are solved, just chew them, drink them, make brownies, snort them, supposit them, inject them, instead of forcing them into other people's lungs.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:32:36 AM

Seriously? I won't even go near smokers since I get severe reactions from it. Mine are still pretty minor though compared to the reactions asthmatics would get. Using that basis alone, everybody has a right to clean and breathable air that won't suffocate them so yes, I do support the ban in public places. Sure, it's their choice to kill them selves with cigarettes, but it's nobody else's choice if non-smokers are breathing in second-hand smoke they don't want exposure to.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:55:34 AM
Because people have the right to be stupid as long as it doesnt hurt other people. You can sue a smoker or establishment that permits smoking if it affects you because you are being injured...or you could just not patronize that establishment.

The only reason we have smoking in "public" is due to the tragedy of the commons. The owners of the public areas have 50 million other thing to deal with, so they cant bother with mildly disruptive people. Meanwhile, the owners of stores in a strip mall would ban smoking on their sidewalk because they want nonsmoker patrons to be happy and they dont want to clean up litter on their sidewalk.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:57:49 AM

Lol, never thought I'd agree with you... ^_^

THIS. Plus, as a smoker, I feel the need to defend my kind.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:07:50 AM
At 2/11/2011 1:57:49 AM, annhasle wrote:

smokerrrrrrrrr!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! burnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:08:11 AM

He doesnt need to smoke. He has you. <3
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:10:06 AM
At 2/11/2011 2:07:50 AM, juvanya wrote:
At 2/11/2011 1:57:49 AM, annhasle wrote:

smokerrrrrrrrr!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! burnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't make me cough on you. -___-
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:18:20 AM
At 2/11/2011 2:08:11 AM, juvanya wrote:

He doesnt need to smoke. He has you. <3

Aww. :) <3