Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

The End of Mubarak

Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:31:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Are you guys watching this? http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

Just look at what people can do when they coordinate and work together. They overthrew a dictator that had been in power for over 30 years.

A few questions to think about:

1.) How will this affect American interests in the region?

2.) What role will the Muslim Brotherhood play in the new government?

3.) Will other predominantly Arab countries like Saudi Arabia see a similar kind of revolution?

4.) Will the green movement in Iran ever see a resurgence?

I could probably guess on all of these, but my honest answer is that I don't know.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:13:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Mubarak so far won't step down until September by all sources I have read. Though the military seem to be ready to oppose him so that should be interesting to watch.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:15:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/10/2011 3:13:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Mubarak so far won't step down until September by all sources I have read. Though the military seem to be ready to oppose him so that should be interesting to watch.

You haven't been keeping up; he's steeping down immediately.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:16:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/10/2011 3:13:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Mubarak so far won't step down until September by all sources I have read. Though the military seem to be ready to oppose him so that should be interesting to watch.

I read that too. Maybe he changed his mind? As long as the Islamic Brotherhood doesn't take over that's a good thing.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:21:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/10/2011 3:15:39 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 2/10/2011 3:13:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Mubarak so far won't step down until September by all sources I have read. Though the military seem to be ready to oppose him so that should be interesting to watch.

You haven't been keeping up; he's steeping down immediately.

This was updated 8 minutes ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk...

"Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak has said he will stay in office and transfer all power only after September's presidential election.

His comments in a national TV address confounded earlier reports that he was preparing to stand down immediately."

Sadly, he won't be stepping down.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:22:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is kind of weird. He is staying as president, but transferring his powers to the VP, so he will still be living in the palace and still be active in the politics, just not the dictator anymore (though the VP is likely going to be a puppet for the next several months).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:27:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/10/2011 3:21:03 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 2/10/2011 3:15:39 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 2/10/2011 3:13:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Mubarak so far won't step down until September by all sources I have read. Though the military seem to be ready to oppose him so that should be interesting to watch.

You haven't been keeping up; he's steeping down immediately.

This was updated 8 minutes ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk...

"Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak has said he will stay in office and transfer all power only after September's presidential election.

His comments in a national TV address confounded earlier reports that he was preparing to stand down immediately."

Sadly, he won't be stepping down.

Ok... One of our sources working for the State Department is sending us really bad intelligence. I just read 30 minutes ago that he was stepping down.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:30:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/10/2011 3:22:40 PM, OreEle wrote:
It is kind of weird. He is staying as president, but transferring his powers to the VP, so he will still be living in the palace and still be active in the politics, just not the dictator anymore (though the VP is likely going to be a puppet for the next several months).

Ahh.. that makes sense.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:32:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/10/2011 3:27:27 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 2/10/2011 3:21:03 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 2/10/2011 3:15:39 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 2/10/2011 3:13:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Mubarak so far won't step down until September by all sources I have read. Though the military seem to be ready to oppose him so that should be interesting to watch.

You haven't been keeping up; he's steeping down immediately.

This was updated 8 minutes ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk...

"Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak has said he will stay in office and transfer all power only after September's presidential election.

His comments in a national TV address confounded earlier reports that he was preparing to stand down immediately."

Sadly, he won't be stepping down.

Ok... One of our sources working for the State Department is sending us really bad intelligence. I just read 30 minutes ago that he was stepping down.

There is a bunch of bad info coming out. When the military leader (I think it was the general, but not sure of rank) came out and told the protesters "all of your demands will be met today." People kind of jumped to conclusions.

And the need to be the "first to bring this news braking story" means that double checking facts can be cut to save time.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:12:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/11/2011 1:09:57 AM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Yeah, things have taken a turn for the worst:

http://www.csmonitor.com...(page)/2

Unfortunately, I think that violence is the only way to get Mubarak to step down...

Haha he's not stepping down. I have been getting updates from my Egyptian friend who is also against Mubarak.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:58:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/11/2011 1:09:57 AM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Yeah, things have taken a turn for the worst:

http://www.csmonitor.com...(page)/2

Unfortunately, I think that violence is the only way to get Mubarak to step down...
It is? The man said he will resign in September. If people could tolerate him for 30 years, then let them tolerate him for a few months more instead of spreading violence.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 3:16:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/11/2011 1:58:17 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/11/2011 1:09:57 AM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Yeah, things have taken a turn for the worst:

http://www.csmonitor.com...(page)/2

Unfortunately, I think that violence is the only way to get Mubarak to step down...
It is? The man said he will resign in September. If people could tolerate him for 30 years, then let them tolerate him for a few months more instead of spreading violence.

If someone has been raping you for 30 years would you rather for them to stop raping you in september rather than now?

Anyway, the man has resigned. http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:06:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/11/2011 1:58:17 AM, Mirza wrote:

It is? The man said he will resign in September. If people could tolerate him for 30 years, then let them tolerate him for a few months more instead of spreading violence.

Well, I guess that Mubarak might have decided to actually step down, but I'm not sure what's really going on. The problem is that the people don't just want some position changes; they want a complete dissolution of the current political establishment, and it appears that Mubarak and his government is strongly fighting it. However, under increased political and diplomatic pressure, things might significantly change without the necessity for violence.

I can't know, though.