Jump to topic:

Queries On Geo-Buddhism

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 4:58:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Since I've had many requests and accusations that I don't make my beliefs known and defend them, here's your chance to interrogate me.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 5:27:29 PM
What are your beliefs and defend them.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 5:27:45 PM
Speak to me about the multiverse. Justify your belief in it.
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 5:43:49 PM
At 2/12/2011 5:39:54 PM, innomen wrote:
I only asked you if you listen to Coast to Coast and you never answered that. I asked you a couple times.

Not that this has anything to do with Geo, but my dad listens to that sometimes.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 5:58:54 PM
At 2/12/2011 5:27:45 PM, m93samman wrote:

Well, I find the Multiverse to be the most likely model of the cosmos especially because things tend to exist in a multiplicity. There isn't just one grain of sand, one water molecule, one human, one solar system, one star, one galaxy, there's a multitude of everything that exists, and it wouldn't make sense that our one tiny expanded singularity point which was once the size of a pea, is the only one in existence. Not to mention, there are multiple quantum theory models that either necessitate a Multiverse or suggest a Multiverse.

For a more detailed account, see my debate:

Cosmological Origins: Conscious Multiverse vs. Personal Creator
http://www.debate.org...

Forum Topic: Multiverse and Infinity

And just to be clear, a Multiverse (an oscillating one) is 100% consistent with Buddhist doctrine.

"Disciples, ...nowhere in all the infinite worlds that stretch right and left, is there the equal, much less the superior, of a Buddha."
-- the Buddha [Apannaka Jataka]

"There comes a time, Vasettha, when, sooner or later after a long period, this world contracts. ...But ...after a very long period, this world begins to expand again."
-- the Buddha [Agganna Sutta]

At 2/12/2011 5:27:29 PM, m93samman wrote:

Be more specific.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 6:00:30 PM
At 2/12/2011 5:39:54 PM, innomen wrote:
I only asked you if you listen to Coast to Coast and you never answered that. I asked you a couple times.

I believe I have. Yes, I do listen to Coast to Coast occasionally, but I catch most of the broadcasts on YouTube. Though it's not very often that I do either.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 6:01:07 PM
Are you really a buddhist, or just a product of the New Age movement who thinks he is a buddhist?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 6:05:14 PM
At 2/12/2011 6:01:07 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Are you really a buddhist,

I consider myself a philosophical Buddhist and a lay Buddhist.

or just a product of the New Age movement who thinks he is a buddhist?

I was actually a New Ager and later rejected it and was then convinced by Buddhism. I honestly don't understand what prompted you to ask that question though as it doesn't really make sense.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 6:06:28 PM
Because it's obvious to me.

Just wanted to confirm.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 6:08:50 PM
At 2/12/2011 6:06:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Because it's obvious to me.

Just wanted to confirm.

But it wasn't confirmed. I'm well aware of New Age and I'm not one of them. Buddhism runs contrary to many New Age beliefs. The only thing New Age has in common with Buddhism is meditation and that's not even a belief.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 6:17:35 PM
Oh no, I'm not saying you are still a New Ager, just had a feeling you came from that direction.

No offense intended.

I do have a particular disdain for the New Age movement though. Glad to hear Buddha pulled you out of it, certainly is better imo.

Not that my opinion matters for sh!t. XP
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 6:18:04 PM
At 2/12/2011 5:58:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/12/2011 5:27:45 PM, m93samman wrote:

Well, I find the Multiverse to be the most likely model of the cosmos especially because things tend to exist in a multiplicity. There isn't just one grain of sand, one water molecule, one human, one solar system, one star, one galaxy, there's a multitude of everything that exists, and it wouldn't make sense that our one tiny expanded singularity point which was once the size of a pea, is the only one in existence. Not to mention, there are multiple quantum theory models that either necessitate a Multiverse or suggest a Multiverse.

For a more detailed account, see my debate:

Cosmological Origins: Conscious Multiverse vs. Personal Creator

Forum Topic: Multiverse and Infinity

And just to be clear, a Multiverse (an oscillating one) is 100% consistent with Buddhist doctrine.

"Disciples, ...nowhere in all the infinite worlds that stretch right and left, is there the equal, much less the superior, of a Buddha."
-- the Buddha [Apannaka Jataka]

"There comes a time, Vasettha, when, sooner or later after a long period, this world contracts. ...But ...after a very long period, this world begins to expand again."
-- the Buddha [Agganna Sutta]

Good enough for me.

At 2/12/2011 5:27:29 PM, m93samman wrote:

Be more specific.

That was a joke.
:
:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 6:20:21 PM
At 2/12/2011 6:17:35 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Oh no, I'm not saying you are still a New Ager, just had a feeling you came from that direction.

No offense intended.

I do have a particular disdain for the New Age movement though. Glad to hear Buddha pulled you out of it, certainly is better imo.

Ok, gotcha.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 1:43:40 AM
You often affirm that Buddhism is philosophical superior to anything else, you continually refuse to explain why.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 9:47:49 AM
What exactly does "governed by the cosmos" mean? Does this mean that the stars provide laws by which you live? You understand that they're mostly rocks reflecting light right, or suns that are burning hydrogen, they don't actually contain any means of guiding you or providing governance. How can you seriously be critical of others with such a nonsensical signature?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:28:37 AM
At 2/13/2011 9:47:49 AM, innomen wrote:
What exactly does "governed by the cosmos" mean? Does this mean that the stars provide laws by which you live? You understand that they're mostly rocks reflecting light right, or suns that are burning hydrogen, they don't actually contain any means of guiding you or providing governance. How can you seriously be critical of others with such a nonsensical signature?

well we did all come from supernovae (according to some discovery channel show i once watched) didn't we? and i reckon determinism's the case.. so...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:31:00 AM
At 2/13/2011 10:28:37 AM, badger wrote:

well we did all come from supernovae (according to some discovery channel show i once watched) didn't we? and i reckon determinism's the case.. so...

i've no idea what that buddha quote is about though.. i thought you were talking to the cosmic dude when i posted that.. i never bother trying to understand that buddha gibberish :) it's coming from geo.. i'd say i'm better off :)
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:33:41 AM
At 2/13/2011 10:31:00 AM, badger wrote:

i've no idea what that buddha quote is about though.. i thought you were talking to the cosmic dude when i posted that.. i never bother trying to understand that buddha gibberish :) it's coming from geo.. i'd say i'm better off :)

Exactly.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 12:32:29 PM
Do you think Buddha's wrong for suggesting that Buddha's are always/necessarily compassionate???

... essentially saying that Compassion is an objective good which would Necessarily be embraced by one who "sees clearly"
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 1:38:05 PM
This post is pretty much aimed C_N, and anyone else who cares.

This is Buddhism, everything else is just fluff.

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. This noble eightfold path is how you end your suffering

This is the noble eightfold path.

1. Right View

2. Right Intention

3. Right Speech

4. Right Action

5. Right Livelihood

6. Right Effort

7. Right Mindfulness

8. Right Concentration

Now figure it the fvck out, and you get what Buddhism is REALLY about.

And minus the fluff, it IS philosophically superior to just about anything else, because everything else that is true stems from the conclusion that this all brings you to.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 5:56:53 PM
At 2/13/2011 1:38:05 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

1. Life means suffering.

1. Right View

2. Right Intention

3. Right Speech

4. Right Action

5. Right Livelihood

6. Right Effort

7. Right Mindfulness

8. Right Concentration

And minus the fluff, it IS philosophically superior to just about anything else, because everything else that is true stems from the conclusion that this all brings you to.

UTTERLY FALSE.

That is just a starting point for the beginner/lay Buddhist. And seriously, how can you follow those steps without going deeper into the rest of the philosophy?

Right View is indeed the most important of the Noble Eightfold path, so how can you have Right View if you think that everything but Four Noble Truth/Noble Eightfold Path is disposable and can be completely disregarded? THAT MAKES NO SENSE. In order to have Right View, you have to understand the rest of Buddhist philosophy.

Plus, the Abhidhamma, the the third volume of Buddhist scripture was deemed by the Buddha to be the Higher Teachings. It deals with the nature of reality and introspective phenomenological psychology.

So that right there should tell you where the importance of the teachings lie. Seriously, the Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path are just a skeleton, and outline, a shell, that have no philosophical value until you actually delve deeper into the rest of the philosophy.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 6:41:16 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:33:41 AM, innomen wrote:
At 2/13/2011 10:31:00 AM, badger wrote:

Here's a little tip for you. COSMOS =/= STARS. He did NOT say that you should be governed by the stars, how did you infer such nonsense??

To understand what is meant by the quote, you'd have to understand a bit about the Tao.

"Tao can be roughly stated to be the flow of the universe, or the force behind the natural order, equating it with the influence that keeps the universe balanced and ordered. Martinson says that Tao is associated with nature, due to a belief that nature demonstrates the Tao. The flow of qi, as the essential energy of action and existence, is often compared to the universal order of Tao."
-- http://en.wikipedia.org...

So when he says "governed by the cosmos," he means something similar to living in tune with the Tao, the "flow of the Universe."

Exactly.

innomen, this is willful ignorance on your behalf. You have just demonstrated that you don't understand the quote of Buddha's, and then after completely misconstruing the meaning you call it gibberish. Apparently, things you don't understand are just "gibberish" to you. Likewise, you may say the same about quantum mechanics, but that doesn't in anyway invalidate quantum mechanics.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:02:55 PM
At 2/13/2011 5:56:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

1. Life means suffering.

1. Right View

2. Right Intention

3. Right Speech

4. Right Action

5. Right Livelihood

6. Right Effort

7. Right Mindfulness

8. Right Concentration

UTTERLY FALSE.

That is just a starting point for the beginner/lay Buddhist. And seriously, how can you follow those steps without going deeper into the rest of the philosophy?

Well he has at least tried, which is more than what you have done.

Right View is indeed the most important of the Noble Eightfold path, so how can you have Right View if you think that everything but Four Noble Truth/Noble Eightfold Path is disposable and can be completely disregarded? THAT MAKES NO SENSE. In order to have Right View, you have to understand the rest of Buddhist philosophy.

Plus, the Abhidhamma, the the third volume of Buddhist scripture was deemed by the Buddha to be the Higher Teachings. It deals with the nature of reality and introspective phenomenological psychology.

So that right there should tell you where the importance of the teachings lie. Seriously, the Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path are just a skeleton, and outline, a shell, that have no philosophical value until you actually delve deeper into the rest of the philosophy.

Thats nice.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:04:17 PM
At 2/13/2011 5:56:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

1. Life means suffering.

1. Right View

2. Right Intention

3. Right Speech

4. Right Action

5. Right Livelihood

6. Right Effort

7. Right Mindfulness

8. Right Concentration

UTTERLY FALSE.

Clearly you underestimate the amount of information that can be extrapolated from the 4 noble truths and the Eight Fold Path.

You don't need to delve deeper into the philosophy(though you can) to arrive at the same conclusions.

Everything in Buddhist philosophy is an attempt at aligning you to the eightfold path. If you don't understand what I'm saying, you don't really understand Buddhism.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:12:43 PM
What does it mean to be a Buddhist? Does it just refer to accepting the conclusion of the philosophy (i.e., I am a determinist) or do you / are you expected to lead a certain lifestyle? The path seems pretty ambiguous.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:24:15 PM
At 2/13/2011 8:02:55 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Well he has at least tried, which is more than what you have done.

The point of this thread is not to summarize Buddhism, but rather have people ask me specific questions about my Buddhist beliefs.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:36:28 PM
At 2/13/2011 1:43:40 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You often affirm that Buddhism is philosophical superior to anything else, you continually refuse to explain why.

I find Buddhism to be philosophically superior in that it not only covers a vast philosophical spectrum, but it is also accurate and justifiable.

For example, Buddhism is the only philosophy that deals with epistemology, ethics, ontology, phenomenology, psychology, consciousness, psychiatry, metaphysics, and cosmology. It even provides a basis for political/economic theory.

Compare to Objectivism or Christianity. Objectivism is a very cut and dry system that deals with maybe a few areas like epistemology, ethics, and politics. Christianity has almost no philosophical value at all except when it comes to ethics.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:44:56 PM
At 2/13/2011 8:12:43 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What does it mean to be a Buddhist? Does it just refer to accepting the conclusion of the philosophy (i.e., I am a determinist) or do you / are you expected to lead a certain lifestyle? The path seems pretty ambiguous.

A Buddhist is someone who accepts the Buddha Dharma. However, there is obviously a difference between the philosophical/lay Buddhists and the religious/monastic Buddhists. The difference being what the names describe.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat