Jump to topic:

I don't know about you guys but

m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 12:57:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This made me laugh out loud, and rather loudly might I add.

http://i.imgur.com...
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:14:59 PM
Yea... that was kinda funny.

Of course on a serious note light did pre-exist before our sun... so it's not really a contradiction. Sorry to spoil the joke.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:16:31 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:14:59 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Of course on a serious note light did pre-exist before our sun... so it's not really a contradiction. Sorry to spoil the joke.

Scientifically, yes. Biblically? nahhhhh
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:16:50 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:06:14 PM, annhasle wrote:
LOL.

*save picture*

*show to friends*

*become popular*
:
:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:19:50 PM
At 2/14/2011 12:57:27 PM, m93samman wrote:

http://i.imgur.com...:

Yep... The YEC's really hate that one.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:22:35 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:19:50 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I would too, if I thought the universe was 6,000 years old and dinosaur bones are practical jokes laid by God.
:
:
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:25:24 PM

I'm far from being a YEC, but I know for a fact that this does not bother them. This issue was addressed in about 400 AD... and you're just now figuring it out.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:29:47 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:25:24 PM, InquireTruth wrote:

I'm far from being a YEC, but I know for a fact that this does not bother them. This issue was addressed in about 400 AD... and you're just now figuring it out.:

I wasn't alive in 400 AD.

Do you believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis, or is it simply allegorical?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:36:28 PM
Nor were you alive, I imagine, during any of the World Wars. I also imagine, on the other hand, that you are sufficiently aware of their history. The assumption that it would bother a YECreationist has been wrong for far too long for someone to feign that it does.

Do you believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis, or is it simply allegorical?

I interpret Genesis as the author(s) intended it to be interpreted - truth in story.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:40:09 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:36:28 PM, InquireTruth wrote:

I interpret Genesis as the author(s) intended it to be interpreted - truth in story.

Do elaborate.
:
:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:40:17 PM
Nor were you alive, I imagine, during any of the World Wars. I also imagine, on the other hand, that you are sufficiently aware of their history. The assumption that it would bother a YECreationist has been wrong for far too long for someone to feign that it does.:

Have you read AiG's responses to the questions? Holy cow! Talk about contortionists... Flip.... Flop.... Mental gymnastics at its finest.

I interpret Genesis as the author(s) intended it to be interpreted - truth in story.:

Truth in story, not truth in reality?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:41:49 PM
Nor were you alive, I imagine, during any of the World Wars. I also imagine, on the other hand, that you are sufficiently aware of their history. The assumption that it would bother a YECreationist has been wrong for far too long for someone to feign that it does.

I don't, the book of Genesis was a real account. You say how can light be without a light source like a star. Yet you believe the universe came from nothing. That's contradicting. Light from nothing - impossible, universe from nothing - possible. And yet even more so, the light was created by God, the universe by nothing. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:47:36 PM
Have you read AiG's responses to the questions? Holy cow! Talk about contortionists... Flip.... Flop.... Mental gymnastics at its finest.

I'm not terribly concerned with your evaluation of their responses, only your assertion that it bothers them. So far as I can see, they need only read one passage from Revelation into the text of Genesis and have their "problem" resolved.

I interpret Genesis as the author(s) intended it to be interpreted - truth in story.:

Truth is reality, no matter how it's told.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:50:09 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:16:31 PM, m93samman wrote:

Actually the bible can be read as being consistent with science. Let there be light = big bang. Then the Sun is created subsequently.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 1:55:29 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:50:09 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Actually the bible can be read as being consistent with science.

Not true. It requires lots of mental gymnastics, dismissal of certain passages, twisted interpretations, and cognitive dissonance.

Let there be light = big bang. Then the Sun is created subsequently.

Um, God also separated the light from the dark before the sun. Not to mention, "let their be light" can't refer to the Big Bang because the Big Bang does not equate to being the creation of light. The Big Bang happened and all the stars were created and the only light that ensued was the light from the stars. There's no way for light to come prior to stars.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 2:18:05 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:47:36 PM, InquireTruth wrote:

I'm not terribly concerned with your evaluation of their responses, only your assertion that it bothers them. So far as I can see, they need only read one passage from Revelation into the text of Genesis and have their "problem" resolved.:

And that passage would be?

Truth is reality, no matter how it's told.:

Do you, personally, believe in a literal translation of Genesis?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 2:30:08 PM
At 2/14/2011 2:18:05 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 2/14/2011 1:47:36 PM, InquireTruth wrote:

I'm not terribly concerned with your evaluation of their responses, only your assertion that it bothers them. So far as I can see, they need only read one passage from Revelation into the text of Genesis and have their "problem" resolved.:

And that passage would be?

Truth is reality, no matter how it's told.:

Do you, personally, believe in a literal translation of Genesis?

He believe it allegorically/metaphorically represents the truth.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 2:37:44 PM

You've got an attitude problem; Allah isn't pleased! If Allah is a good God...
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
eball45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 2:43:40 PM
Would the ancient Iseralites have been capable of explaining or understanding the beginnings of creation through a 21st century explanation?? I seriously doubt it. It needed to be put in terms they could deal with. I believe much of the old testament is allegorical. This is how people of the time learned and communicated. They used analogies. They didn't have modern philosophical or scientific structure. Certainly, this gets tricky when it's largely subjective what is or isn't allegory. At the end of the day, if christ rose on the third day it's correct. Either hundereds of people lied and believed the lies strongly enough for christianity to spread like wild fire through even a largely skeptical and pagan atmosphere. Or, it happened. And the evidence was so strong that it spread like wild fire. It's a matter of faith. This can't be decided through reason. Either side one chooses, they must take a leap of faith that they are correct.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:00:02 PM
@C_N:

At 2/14/2011 1:55:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Not true. It requires lots of mental gymnastics, dismissal of certain passages, twisted interpretations, and cognitive dissonance.

Um, God also separated the light from the dark before the sun. Not to mention, "let their be light" can't refer to the Big Bang because the Big Bang does not equate to being the creation of light. The Big Bang happened and all the stars were created and the only light that ensued was the light from the stars. There's no way for light to come prior to stars.
:
:
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:01:11 PM
At 2/14/2011 2:37:44 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

The Qura'an doesn't have these problems
:
:
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:03:08 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:41:49 PM, GodSands wrote:

I don't, the book of Genesis was a real account. You say how can light be without a light source like a star. Yet you believe the universe came from nothing. That's contradicting. Light from nothing - impossible, universe from nothing - possible. And yet even more so, the light was created by God, the universe by nothing. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The universe is not propagated from a source; light is dependent upon a source from which to be propagated. If light can simply be "created" without be released from a source of some type, it would just be a transient wave of energy that is indetectable. It's like me turning my flashlight on and off really quickly, one time. The light I created will just go. And thats it.
:
:
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:03:10 PM
At 2/14/2011 3:01:11 PM, m93samman wrote:

So, Allah is displeased with you! Sorry, I am not familiar with the Koran.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:04:58 PM

Uh... A short time after the big bang the universe was full of photons - i.e. light particles. This a well-known fact.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:09:24 PM
At 2/14/2011 3:04:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Uh... A short time after the big bang the universe was full of photons - i.e. light particles. This is a well-known fact.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:14:26 PM
At 2/14/2011 3:03:10 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 2/14/2011 3:01:11 PM, m93samman wrote:

So, Allah is displeased with you! Sorry, I am not familiar with the Koran.

...What?
:
:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:14:40 PM
At 2/14/2011 3:04:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Uh... A short time after the big bang the universe was full of photons - i.e. light particles. This a well-known fact.

Quarks, gluons, protons, and neutrons came before photons. Why doesn't the Bible mention that? It didn't, but instead inaccurately states that God created photons first.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:14:46 PM
At 2/14/2011 1:41:49 PM, GodSands wrote:

I don't recall IT saying any of that. You're reading far too much into it.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!