Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Have you ever said a prayer to God before ?

interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 3:46:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Serious question. I want to know have you ever said a prayer to God. Here is
why I am asking this. Some of you are no longer believers. Your faith has died
one way or another. You dont trust in God, so some of you choose not to believe.
So why did you pray to God and what did you pray about ?
Did it come true. If not, then what did you do.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 3:57:10 PM
At 2/15/2011 3:46:23 PM, interrogator wrote:
one way or another. You dont trust in God, so some of you choose not to believe.
Did it come true. If not, then what did you do.

I spent a good portion of my life praying to god... About many things.

My prayer eventually simply became, "Thy will be done".

It wasn't too much longer after that... I realized that God's will is going to be done whether or not God has a cheering section.

It wasn't too much longer after that... I realized that most of my understanding of God was rooted in superstition.

A lot of things played into my eventual deconversion though... It isn't that I do not trust god, I just do not believe that the traditional theistic concept of god exists... In fact, from my own understanding, I would call the traditional theistic concept of god to fit the bill of being the closest thing to Satan, the prince of demons.

Honest people do not choose their beliefs.

I came to where I am today by following the advice of Jesus. I think it is very important that.. If you really believe in something.. practice it to its full extent.. While doing so, remain honest, and open minded to truth. If you do that, you will be guiding what the bible calls "The Holy Spirit". All blasphemies will be forgiven except personal intellectual dishonesty.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 3:58:14 PM
I have prayed, before as a child when I believed. Later as an agnostic. And even later as an atheist. It has even been useful. The idea that God would lower himself to address my petty prayers is somewhat childish.

Prayer is either simply a psychological crutch or an attempt to obtain union with the divine.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:02:15 PM
When I was 9, I prayed to God for the last time. I was at my brother's funeral. And I still remember my prayer:

"Dear God, you've taken away my brother and I'm not sure why. But please don't take away any of my other brothers or sisters too. My father says that you'll love my brother being up there. And you will! He was the best big brother. Take care of him for me and tell him I love him."

Did it come true? Nope. Since then, one of my sisters has died.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:12:26 PM
i used to pray when i was younger all the time...

mainly for health of my family... health of friends.. and health of everyone generally...

that's Pretty much it...

and then as I gradually began to realize there was no reason to believe in god... I stopped...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:22:16 PM
I was catholic, so yeah. One prayer that I always remember was when I was on a train. It was supposed to leave at 8 o'clock and I had a politics exam at 10. It got to about 9.40, and I started panicking, even to the point of prayer - the train came 2 minutes later and I made my exam by about 30 seconds.

On the other hand, I have prayed to experience God numerous times with no result. Another time was when my Grandad was dying in the hospital. I prayed that we would be able to make it in on time, so that he wouldn't die alone. He died before we got there, and did so in tremendous pain, so that was pretty tough.

In fact, I think there is a philosophy paper which challenges unbelievers to pray for a couple of months - in order to honestly say that they have done everything they can do to search for God. I haven't done this yet (although I will do it at some point), but would say that I have never experienced God at this point in my life, and that the things I have prayed for seem to only manifest 50% of the time.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:22:19 PM
Even to this day, as a Buddhist Atheist, I have caught myself right before bed about to do the sign of the cross to begin a prayer, and then I think to myself, "Wait, WTF am I doing?" I guess that habit was just so ingrained in me.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:25:01 PM
Btw, I rarely did prayers asking for things (health, family, etc.), it was always the Our Father and Hail Mary. Or sometimes I'd have a conversation.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:28:07 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:22:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Even to this day, as a Buddhist Atheist, I have caught myself right before bed about to do the sign of the cross to begin a prayer, and then I think to myself, "Wait, WTF am I doing?" I guess that habit was just so ingrained in me.

it's God reaching out to you...

are you going to answer the call??? o.O
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:30:46 PM

Lol, same! Whenever an ambulance passed by, my family would always stop and pray or just do a quick mimic of the shape of a cross (like all good Catholics do). And even as an avowed -- and somewhat militant -- atheist, I sometimes still mimic the shape of a cross when an ambulance passes by even without family around. It's a habit now... >.<
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:36:31 PM
At 2/15/2011 3:46:23 PM, interrogator wrote:
Did it come true. If not, then what did you do.:

I think everyone has prayed to God at some point in their life.

Most finally figure out that prayer isn't a dialogue with God, it's a monologue with yourself
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:42:05 PM
........The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
James 5:16
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:43:20 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:30:46 PM, annhasle wrote:

Lol, same! Whenever an ambulance passed by, my family would always stop and pray or just do a quick mimic of the shape of a cross (like all good Catholics do). And even as an avowed -- and somewhat militant -- atheist, I sometimes still mimic the shape of a cross when an ambulance passes by even without family around. It's a habit now... >.<

HAHA!!! FINALLY!!!

You have let your guard down and revealed a crack of light in your black nihilistic soul!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:44:12 PM
C_N is not only a racist who compares black people to poodles, but he is also a deep cover protestant.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:44:25 PM
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
President of DDO
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:46:51 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:43:20 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

HAHA!!! FINALLY!!!

You have let your guard down and revealed a crack of light in your black nihilistic soul!

What soul?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:49:06 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:46:51 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 2/15/2011 4:43:20 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

HAHA!!! FINALLY!!!

What soul?

And the natural order is restored.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:50:35 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:44:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
C_N is not only a racist who compares black people to poodles, but he is also a deep cover protestant.

Hey I was being pro-black! And I am not a deep cover protestant, I am an occaisional social protestant.