Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Theists = Conspiracy Theorists?

SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:50:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Atheists, would you compare theists to conspiracy theorists?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:53:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
inb4 Geo
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:57:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 10:50:51 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Atheists, would you compare theists to conspiracy theorists?

No. Theists base their beliefs on faith. Conspiracy theorists base their claims on facts because a theory is conclusion derived from a string of facts.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:01:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 10:57:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/17/2011 10:50:51 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Atheists, would you compare theists to conspiracy theorists?

No. Theists base their beliefs on faith. Conspiracy theorists base their claims on facts because a theory is conclusion derived from a string of facts.
No, that is called a scientific theory. And, the theories you speak of can be refuted in an instant.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:04:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 11:01:35 PM, Mirza wrote:

No, that is called a scientific theory. And, the theories you speak of can be refuted in an instant.

Actually, many conspiracies cannot even be refuted because they are overwhelmingly based on unfalsifiable claims and faith.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:06:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 11:04:40 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 2/17/2011 11:01:35 PM, Mirza wrote:

No, that is called a scientific theory. And, the theories you speak of can be refuted in an instant.

Actually, many conspiracies cannot even be refuted because they are overwhelmingly based on unfalsifiable claims and faith.
Indeed. Stating that there was a man in 1966 who did such-and-such a thing is literally impossible to refute in the sense that you cannot refute evidence, and an assumption is actually the lowest level of a claim, so there is not even a need to refute it. The refuter will have to find out who the man is, look at his record, [etcetera], which is simply not possible.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:07:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 11:01:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/17/2011 10:57:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
No. Theists base their beliefs on faith. Conspiracy theorists base their claims on facts because a theory is conclusion derived from a string of facts.
No, that is called a scientific theory. And, the theories you speak of can be refuted in an instant.

Not all facts are scientific. Theories exist in many areas, not just science.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:07:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What I mean by you cannot refute evidence is that you cannot refute something that is meant to be evidence, since it is not even close to being evident in itself, hence you have nothing to refute properly.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:09:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 11:07:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/17/2011 11:01:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/17/2011 10:57:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
No. Theists base their beliefs on faith. Conspiracy theorists base their claims on facts because a theory is conclusion derived from a string of facts.
No, that is called a scientific theory. And, the theories you speak of can be refuted in an instant.

Not all facts are scientific. Theories exist in many areas, not just science.
Do you want to play a word game? Faith =/= belief without evidence (i.e., not all definitions of Faith)

And, I did not deny what you say, but a theory in science requires facts to make it a real theory. A theory outside science is not the same. It is assumption and a little common sense, or not the latter at all.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:27:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 10:50:51 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Atheists, would you compare theists to conspiracy theorists?

yes, and I have.

Clinging to explanations which 'loosely fit'.. but which aren't the best explanation... and which are without sufficient evidence.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."