Jump to topic:

funerals and that kinda thing..

badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:33:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
what're funerals like where ye're from? are they all religious like over here? i wouldn't like to have a catholic funeral, or be buried in a catholic graveyard, but i suppose why should i care.. and my poor old granny'd probably have a heart attack if i wasn't "sent off" religiously, so if i die before her i'm gonna have to be :( would it matter to you? ..it obviously wouldn't when you'd be dead, but like before you died, now even?
signature
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:40:12 PM
Viking funeral is the way to go, man.. Good luck doing that in Kansas.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:40:58 PM
I've attended six funerals, all religious based. Some sort of Christian service is pretty default really. The British are quietly atheistic, expressions of faith are quite embarrassing unless you are getting married or buried.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:41:40 PM
I'm pretty sure most funerals are held in a place of worship. Even if the family isn't very religious they probably still do since it's tradition.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:42:55 PM
At 2/20/2011 6:39:06 PM, badger wrote:
i've never heard of a funeral not being held in a church over here. i don't like it.

Of the six services I've been to, most were performed in a secular building by a minister.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:43:55 PM
At 2/20/2011 6:40:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Viking funeral is the way to go, man.. Good luck doing that in Kansas.

it'd be class if funerals consisted of the corpse getting eaten by some animal of choice.. i'd never miss one!
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:46:20 PM
At 2/20/2011 6:40:58 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I've attended six funerals, all religious based. Some sort of Christian service is pretty default really. The British are quietly atheistic, expressions of faith are quite embarrassing unless you are getting married or buried.

we're the same here except for the oldies. there's still far too much going on in the church for my liking.
signature
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:48:38 PM
At 2/20/2011 6:33:47 PM, badger wrote:
and my poor old granny'd probably have a heart attack if i wasn't "sent off" religiously

My Grandma is an Atheist!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:52:02 PM
At 2/20/2011 6:48:38 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
and my poor old granny'd probably have a heart attack if i wasn't "sent off" religiously

My grandparents I honestly have no idea.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:52:44 PM

that'd be class! ...though i can't imagine what my granny'd talk about if she was one.
signature
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:54:57 PM
At 2/20/2011 6:52:44 PM, badger wrote:

that'd be class! ...though i can't imagine what my granny'd talk about if she was one.

I doubt my nana is an atheist. She has mentioned things about Adam and Eve before so who knows. :/

As for my other grandparents, my grandpa is dead and the rest I have never seen talk about religion.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:56:50 PM
When the time comes, I'd like to have a Buddhist funeral. It involves cremation, which is actually what I wanted anyways, and includes the recitation of this verse:

"Impermanent alas are formations,
subject to rise and fall.
Having arisen, they cease;
their subsiding is bliss"
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:58:09 PM
I'm planning on donating my body to medicine once my organs become worthless.

Or necrophilia's if there willing to pay for it. Can't seem to find a market for that though.

Perhaps sell it to pranksters, although they can easily just steal one from the graveyard.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:00:15 PM
If I end up being buried I want it to be without the casket so when the body decomposes it'll just go back into the ground as fertilizer. Caskets always seemed like a waste to me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:01:30 PM
At 2/20/2011 6:56:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
When the time comes, I'd like to have a Buddhist funeral. It involves cremation, which is actually what I wanted anyways, and includes the recitation of this verse:

Sounds pretty. This is a great philosophy for reconciling death. IMO, funerals are not for the deceased but for the people left who need to mourn them and find comfort in doing so, as well as upholding their memory. Because I genuinely don't have a preference, I want my kids/family to do what best helps them. I might insist on being cremated though just because I have a moral objection to wasting space in the ground and paying for a plot and shiz. Eff that.
President of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:02:53 PM
I would rather be cremated and then have a large party at my best friends house. I know it sounds selfish for not donating my organs to the community, but I am too old anyway.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:03:46 PM
At 2/20/2011 7:01:30 PM, Danielle wrote:

Sounds pretty. This is a great philosophy for reconciling death. IMO, funerals are not for the deceased but for the people left who need to mourn them and find comfort in doing so, as well as upholding their memory. Because I genuinely don't have a preference, I want my kids/family to do what best helps them. I might insist on being cremated though just because I have a moral objection to wasting space in the ground and paying for a plot and shiz. Eff that.

'twould probably cost less to just throw your corpse into some ditch somewhere?
signature
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:05:30 PM
At 2/20/2011 7:02:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I would rather be cremated and then have a large party at my best friends house. I know it sounds selfish for not donating my organs to the community, but I am too old anyway.

lol, I'm actually a registered organ donor apparently. There's a label on my commie care card that says so.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:08:03 PM
At 2/20/2011 7:03:46 PM, badger wrote:

sorry :) probably wouldn't best help your kids/family though i suppose...not like setting fire to your body would anyway... lol
signature
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:16:07 PM
At 2/20/2011 7:08:03 PM, badger wrote:

sorry :) probably wouldn't best help your kids/family though i suppose...not like setting fire to your body would anyway... lol

There is a finality to cremation, some people spend way too much time watching zombie films :p
I wouldn't want to get their hopes up.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:18:59 PM
Ive been to two Jewish funerals and a wake. Technically three, but I was three and barely remember the service, let alone anything else.

The wake was kind of weird. I went to it in between the other two funerals. Just having the body out there. It seems like just a plastic figure or something. I barely even remember it, to be honest.

The Jewish funerals were essentially the same. You go to the grave, which is predug, and a rabbi performs the service. The coffin is made of pure wood, even the fasteners, so it fully decomposes. At the appropriate time, the coffin is lowered on belts mechanically into the grave. Then, everyone, or all males (I forget), takes a turn shoveling a shovelful of dirt into the grave. This is considered the greatest mitzvah of all--it can never be repaid. It is really considered a great honor to be able to bury someone. I only did it for the 2nd funeral. I think I was too messed up to do it for the first. Then, everyone leaves and a redneck or beaner comes with a backhoe to finish the job.

There are other things that happen after, but I havent experienced them, so I cant really speak of them.

At the 2nd funeral, my uncles, there was a military service as well, where they played taps and folded the flag hat was draped on his coffin (this is a huge job opportunity btw, theres a huge market for buglers now--you might have to move to get the job, but they need them). My problem with funerals is the always make me cry profusely. I wasnt even close to my grandma or my uncle. It just came out... My sisters stepdad just died and I never met him or knew him really and a few tears came out when I read the obituary. At the 2nd funeral, I tried to prepare myself and hold back the tears (not out of embarrassment, its just not fun to be crying), but the second they started Taps, the valves opened up. Heaven help me when my mom dies.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:22:31 PM
At 2/20/2011 7:08:03 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:03:46 PM, badger wrote:

i dunno...?
signature
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:33:25 PM
At 2/20/2011 6:39:06 PM, badger wrote:
i've never heard of a funeral not being held in a church over here. i don't like it.

My mum's funeral was in Ireland and was a completely non-religious ceremony. Some bloke from the humanist society gave a little speech. There were still pictures of Jesus on the walls of the funeral parlour chapel though.