Jump to topic:

Religion is outdated...

gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 1:29:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think it's probably about time we let religion go the way of the dinosaur. It has served its purpose, and is little more than a hindrance to the human race, at this point.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:17:14 PM
Religion will never die, silly. It's human nature.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:18:56 PM
At 2/21/2011 1:31:58 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Nah, its still used even today to cause wars like back in the good old days.

I would agree with that. It's also very useful if you want to discriminate against homosexuals, disregard logic and reasoning, and forgo living a pleasant life in hopes of a euphoric afterlife(preposterous).
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:23:38 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:19:07 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Organized religion is pretty...bleh anyway. Most of my family feels the same way while still being theists.

But you're a Jew.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:25:48 PM
At 2/21/2011 1:29:23 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
I think it's probably about time we let religion go the way of the dinosaur. It has served its purpose, and is little more than a hindrance to the human race, at this point.

As long as I'm around, religion will still be around, too. ;D haha
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:25:55 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:23:38 PM, Anarcho wrote:
Organized religion is pretty...bleh anyway. Most of my family feels the same way while still being theists.

But you're a Jew.

I have jewish heritage and I'm somewhat theist, but other than that, not really. Even if I wanted to attend a synagogue the closest one is like two hours away. I thought we've been over this. :/
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:27:05 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:25:48 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 2/21/2011 1:29:23 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

As long as I'm around, religion will still be around, too. ;D haha

Maybe we'll get lucky and it will end with you, too.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:33:46 PM
totally. understatement of the century. the time when skeptics don't have to be embarrassed or ashamed of their views is upon us now, and all that will only improve in the next 50 years or so (god willing of course). i too am jewish btw... what does that have to do with anything?
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:36:13 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:25:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

But you're a Jew.

I have jewish heritage and I'm somewhat theist, but other than that, not really. Even if I wanted to attend a synagogue the closest one is like two hours away. I thought we've been over this. :/

Then you're not really against organized religion if you would go to one.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:37:32 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:36:13 PM, Anarcho wrote:

But you're a Jew.

I am against it in the sense that too many people use it to indoctrinate their children.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:39:51 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:33:46 PM, jat93 wrote:
totally. understatement of the century. the time when skeptics don't have to be embarrassed or ashamed of their views is upon us now, and all that will only improve in the next 50 years or so (god willing of course). i too am jewish btw... what does that have to do with anything?

It doesn't mean anything, except you're a Jew. I am an ethnic Jew as well, but all the god mumbo jumbo really turned me off of religion. Too little evidence and too many obvious contradictions, along with modern science, should be enough to sway any reasonably intelligent human.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:40:53 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:37:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/21/2011 2:36:13 PM, Anarcho wrote:

But you're a Jew.

I am against it in the sense that too many people use it to indoctrinate their children.

That's kind of one of the main points, though.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:41:17 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:18:56 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

I would agree with that. It's also very useful if you want to discriminate against homosexuals, disregard logic and reasoning, and forgo living a pleasant life in hopes of a euphoric afterlife(preposterous).

Lololololololol. The irony is killing me.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:42:06 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:41:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Something's gotta do it, right?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:42:54 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:40:53 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

I'm mostly fine with religion though as long as people don't abuse such as indoctrinating their children, etc. I know some people would love for religion to be abolished, but there's no need for that. If people are more comfortable believing in it then let them.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:44:24 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:42:06 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 2/21/2011 2:41:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Something's gotta do it, right?

Indeed, might as well be something that's hilarious - which it is coming from you.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:45:11 PM
I would agree with that. It's also very useful if you want to discriminate against homosexuals,
Religious people are also being discriminated.

disregard logic and reasoning,
Indeed, indeed.

and forgo living a pleasant life in hopes of a euphoric afterlife(preposterous).
At least I do it with a free mind. At least I don't enjoy this short life taking drugs and acting like an idiot or monkey. My belief in Afterlife is better than your nonsensical urge to be intoxicated and have fun with that. Remain silent. Atheists like you promote hatred.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:47:26 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:42:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/21/2011 2:40:53 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

I'm mostly fine with religion though as long as people don't abuse such as indoctrinating their children, etc. I know some people would love for religion to be abolished, but there's no need for that. If people are more comfortable believing in it then let them.

The problem is that eventually we will have to do away with religion if we want to progress as a species. It hinders logical thought, and even more so, it hinders education. For example, there are actually classrooms in the U.S. where science teachers are teaching children about creationism/ID. This is an obvious side effect of religion, and these children are going into their world completely ignorant. Sad...
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:47:48 PM
Revelation 22:13
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last."
Christ will always be around
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:54:19 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:45:11 PM, Mirza wrote:
I would agree with that. It's also very useful if you want to discriminate against homosexuals,
Religious people are also being discriminated.

Indeed, they are, mostly by each other.

disregard logic and reasoning,
Indeed, indeed.

and forgo living a pleasant life in hopes of a euphoric afterlife(preposterous).
At least I do it with a free mind. At least I don't enjoy this short life taking drugs and acting like an idiot or monkey. My belief in Afterlife is better than your nonsensical urge to be intoxicated and have fun with that. Remain silent. Atheists like you promote hatred.

First of all, nice ad hominem. You believe that I have some urge to be intoxicated? Haha!! Although you are dead wrong, I do sometimes enjoy catching a buzz. Your mind is in no way free, as you describe. It is enslaved by religion, and a joint is better than that any day of the week. Oh yeah, when is the last time an atheist ran a plane into a building, or blew himself up on a bus? You're right, I hate these acts of violence, Mirza, and religion is the culprit.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:59:43 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:54:19 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
And also by some arrogant atheists. And, it doesn't matter by whom they are being discriminated. They just are. Don't mention homosexuals every time you bring up religion and religious people. Bring up something more relevant.

First of all, nice ad hominem. You believe that I have some urge to be intoxicated? Haha!! Although you are dead wrong, I do sometimes enjoy catching a buzz. Your mind is in no way free, as you describe. It is enslaved by religion, and a joint is better than that any day of the week. Oh yeah, when is the last time an atheist ran a plane into a building, or blew himself up on a bus?
I don't know, but which say, Muslim tops the worst atheistic murderer in the last century? I am not quite sure. Also, I am freer than you. I am free to love and respect people, give charity, be moral, etc. I am also free to take drugs, but luckily, my morals enslave me. Yes, I am a slave to good. You are a slave to bad. So are all you who think that this world is enjoyable by some idiotic deeds with arrogant flavor on top.

You're right, I hate these acts of violence, Mirza, and religion is the culprit.
So is atheism. If we had more atheists we would have more anti-religious discrimination. They are a minority, but still dare to show up with idiocy and arrogance.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:59:58 PM
Hmm. I don't think its fair to say that theists disregard logic. Many do, but there are some decent arguments on both sides of the debate.
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 3:11:47 PM
Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Romans 1:24-25
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 3:19:05 PM
At 2/21/2011 2:59:43 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/21/2011 2:54:19 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
And also by some arrogant atheists. And, it doesn't matter by whom they are being discriminated. They just are. Don't mention homosexuals every time you bring up religion and religious people. Bring up something more relevant.

What could be more relevent? They have just as much(if not more) right to exist equally in this world as any religious choice.

First of all, nice ad hominem. You believe that I have some urge to be intoxicated? Haha!! Although you are dead wrong, I do sometimes enjoy catching a buzz. Your mind is in no way free, as you describe. It is enslaved by religion, and a joint is better than that any day of the week. Oh yeah, when is the last time an atheist ran a plane into a building, or blew himself up on a bus?
I don't know, but which say, Muslim tops the worst atheistic murderer in the last century? I am not quite sure. Also, I am freer than you. I am free to love and respect people, give charity, be moral, etc. I am also free to take drugs, but luckily, my morals enslave me. Yes, I am a slave to good. You are a slave to bad. So are all you who think that this world is enjoyable by some idiotic deeds with arrogant flavor on top.

What kind of flavor are you is on top of your sunday, you little arrogant prick?

You're right, I hate these acts of violence, Mirza, and religion is the culprit.
So is atheism. If we had more atheists we would have more anti-religious discrimination. They are a minority, but still dare to show up with idiocy and arrogance.

Ouch! It looks like I hit a nerve. Good... Your words reflect exactly what I've been saying. Also, I openly discriminate against religion, because religion is a choice. It's not like being born black or white. You've chosen a religion, and I choose to mock you for it.