Jump to topic:

God Made You, Part IV

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 9:49:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello, friends, I submit to you the hypothesis that God created us, but on that fateful day ~10,000 years ago, he was nursing a hangover from an all night bar crawl with badger and consequently did a piss poor job at it.

Exhibit A: http://upload.wikimedia.org...

With your face about three feet from the computer screen, cover your right eye and focus on the circle. Slowly move closer the computer screen. When you're around 2 feet away, the star on the left will magically disappear! How is this possible, you ask? Why, your our omni-excellent designer, in his infinite wisdom (or drunken stupor) put all of your blood vessels on the surface of your retina. Consequently, you have have a blind spot and dozens of ad hoc adaptations to account for this faulty planning. For example: the eye requires six muscles to move when three would otherwise suffice.

Apparently God loves squids more than he loves people, because cephalopods don't suffer from this shïtty design. Their optic nerves are attached behind the retina as they should be.

Exhibit B: Almost all animals and plants synthesize their own vitamin C, but we can't because the gene for this enzyme is defective. Vitamin C deficiency leads to scurvy and eventually death.

Exhibit C: 14,000 years ago during the ice age, Type I diabetes was all the rage because having higher blood sugar levels means your blood freezes at a significantly lower temperature, protecting you from frostbite. Today it just increases your chances of dying at an early age.

Exhibit D: In human males, the urethra passes right through the prostate gland, a gland very prone to infection and subsequent enlargement. This blocks the urethra and is a very common medical problem. Putting a collapsible tube through an organ that is very likely to expand and block flow in this tube is not good design. Any moron with half a brain (or less) could design male "plumbing" better.

There's dozens of other examples if you care enough to look through them:

http://www.talkorigins.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org...

In conclusion: if God did design us, he's either an incompetent hack, or he did so via a guided evolutionary process.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 9:51:14 AM
At 2/24/2011 9:49:25 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Hello, friends, I submit to you the hypothesis that God created us, but on that fateful day ~10,000 years ago, he was nursing a hangover from an all night bar crawl with badger and consequently did a piss poor job at it.

With your face about three feet from the computer screen, cover your right eye and focus on the circle. Slowly move closer the computer screen. When you're around 2 feet away, the star on the left will magically disappear! How is this possible, you ask? Why, your our omni-excellent designer, in his infinite wisdom (or drunken stupor) put all of your blood vessels on the surface of your retina. Consequently, you have have a blind spot and dozens of ad hoc adaptations to account for this faulty planning. For example: the eye requires six muscles to move when three would otherwise suffice.

Apparently God loves squids more than he loves people, because cephalopods don't suffer from this shïtty design. Their optic nerves are attached behind the retina as they should be.

Exhibit B: Almost all animals and plants synthesize their own vitamin C, but we can't because the gene for this enzyme is defective. Vitamin C deficiency leads to scurvy and eventually death.

Exhibit C: 14,000 years ago during the ice age, Type I diabetes was all the rage because having higher blood sugar levels means your blood freezes at a significantly lower temperature, protecting you from frostbite. Today it just increases your chances of dying at an early age.

Exhibit D: In human males, the urethra passes right through the prostate gland, a gland very prone to infection and subsequent enlargement. This blocks the urethra and is a very common medical problem. Putting a collapsible tube through an organ that is very likely to expand and block flow in this tube is not good design. Any moron with half a brain (or less) could design male "plumbing" better.

In conclusion: if God did design us, he's either an incompetent hack, or he did so via a guided evolutionary process.

You stole my idea and did it better!
For shame... for shame.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 12:49:57 PM
Thats some good sh!t.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 12:50:05 PM
i think the real question is, why isn't everyone else ignoring interrogator? he's worse than a troll lol. theres no words to describe his level of nonsense.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 12:52:26 PM
At 2/24/2011 12:50:05 PM, belle wrote:
i think the real question is, why isn't everyone else ignoring interrogator? he's worse than a troll lol. theres no words to describe his level of nonsense.

Decent trolls should at least make some effort to pretend to be interested, or pretend to offer a counterargument. He does neither, and it's the best troling yet!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 12:56:30 PM
The OP of God Made You, Part IV

Loved it. I didn't know about the blindspot thing, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 1:00:57 PM

First class post!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 1:29:34 PM

WIN
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 1:31:57 PM

Fun fact:

Guinea pigs are one of the only other mammals that do not produce their own Vitamin C, and can be saved from scurvy by members of the -cycline family (i.e. doxycycline, tetracycline) of antibiotics, which are commonly used for acne medications.

Awesome job, God. You screwed the cute lil cavvies too.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:09:49 PM

Yep.

And lol at the OP.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:12:37 PM
At 2/24/2011 6:09:49 PM, nonentity wrote:

I was kind of bored today, so...

Yep.

And lol at the OP.
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:14:52 PM
Nonentity. You again. Dang, girl. I knew it was good, but you acting like you a stalker. Ha ,ha, ha.
Anyway. Stick around. Things are about to get real intersting around here
for sure. You see I am human, in case you didnt notice. I am normal.
(waiting for insults). Yes, it is true. I am going to talk about other issues
here very soon. Things that most people dont talk about on a daily basis.
It will be anything from love, relationships, religion, money, politics. Anything !
But it will be done in a way that it has never been done before on this forum.
So like I said before. Just sit back and relax. Get your popcorn ready.
It is going to be a great show.
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:19:24 PM
Since when did Women have "nuts". I mean, you are female, right. Unless you
are lying to us on your profile. I hope not. Youre picture was rather cute.
If, that was really you. =)
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:20:20 PM
At 2/24/2011 6:17:42 PM, nonentity wrote:
Wow, get off my nuts. Of all the people who posted in this thread, my sole comment was the one that brought you here?

He doesn't have the balls confront males(J.Kenyon, Myself, etc.), so he targets females like a predator. Good reason he's single, huh?
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:22:28 PM
Gavin please. I said what I needed to say to the males. And I told you once
before. I am not gay. I know, I know. You love to ride Men. I dont swing
that way, sir. I am about the ladies. Get it right. You might learn a thing
or two.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:22:56 PM
At 2/24/2011 6:20:03 PM, interrogator wrote:
Nonentity. That was for you. But anyway. Just enjoy life. Dont worry, be happy.

You're a b!tch, son.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:24:16 PM
At 2/24/2011 6:22:28 PM, interrogator wrote:
or two.

Come on, man! If you can't do any better than that, then you are W E A K!
Sangers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:25:12 PM
or two.

Ur a 33 year old single male...
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:25:35 PM
or two.

Oh yeah, you wouldn't know a lady if she was sitting on your face.
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:28:27 PM
Sangers. Single by choice. I broke up with my last girlfriend, and it was on
my terms. Seriously. But, I am a business man. My life is very demanding.
So I do have female friends with benefits. (why am I telling these idiots this)
If I want something, I go get it. You will learn more about who I really am
soon. Stick around. It is going to get good.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:29:25 PM
At 2/24/2011 6:20:03 PM, interrogator wrote:
Nonentity. That was for you. But anyway. Just enjoy life. Dont worry, be happy.

I'm enjoying life just fine, thank you.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:30:43 PM
At 2/24/2011 6:28:27 PM, interrogator wrote:
Sangers. Single by choice. I broke up with my last girlfriend, and it was on
my terms. Seriously. But, I am a business man. My life is very demanding.
So I do have female friends with benefits. (why am I telling these idiots this)
If I want something, I go get it. You will learn more about who I really am
soon. Stick around. It is going to get good.

Dude, this guy is so utterly full of $hit, it's getting hard to read.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:30:55 PM
Why does he talk like an autistic spaz who can't make more than six words come together at one time.
I miss the old members.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 6:31:59 PM
At 2/24/2011 6:30:55 PM, Atheism wrote:
Why does he talk like an autistic spaz who can't make more than six words come together at one time.

I already told him he needs meds.