Jump to topic:

God

Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:39:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you knew God was real and you experienced Heaven and Hell and saw that we all survive death - for better or for worse - and you were asked to spread the word, would you broadcast your Message, even if you suffered persecution and ridicule for the rest of your life, in order to help as many as you could for a wonderful future beyond?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:45:44 PM
At 3/2/2011 7:39:22 PM, Ogan wrote:
If you knew God was real and you experienced Heaven and Hell and saw that we all survive death - for better or for worse - and you were asked to spread the word, would you broadcast your Message, even if you suffered persecution and ridicule for the rest of your life, in order to help as many as you could for a wonderful future beyond?

I suppose I would. I do have some mental illness in my family, so I'd probably doubt my own sanity though.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:50:02 PM
At 3/2/2011 7:49:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I don't believe in Hell.

That isn't what he's asking.

Muh threads
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:57:24 PM
Ok presuming the premise is true... to not try to help shows a complete disregard for others. There would have to be a pretty compelling reason no to help others.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 8:06:21 PM
Nope.

I would check myself into the nearest mental institution, take some strong sedatives and become a human couch potato.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 8:08:19 PM
At 3/2/2011 8:06:21 PM, annhasle wrote:
Nope.

I would check myself into the nearest mental institution, take some strong sedatives and become a human couch potato.

It's hard to say what you would do if you had a "religious experience" especially one such as what the OP describes. Those chemicals reactions in your brain can fvck you up!

Muh threads
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 8:08:47 PM

Perhaps, though not enthusiastically. If such a paradigm were true, that would be utterly horrific and I would deliver the message somberly and refer to it as the "Bad News" as opposed to the "Good News."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 11:03:44 PM

Well, being persecuted and ridiculed by theists hasn't stopped me from speaking my mind, so I can't see how it would slow me down if I changed it.

But, the biggest questions I have are, who is asking me to spread this news and why?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 11:06:40 PM

Sadly, no. I would only save those that I wanted to be saved. And enjoy knowing that those that I didn't want saved weren't.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:41:38 AM

The key to your question here is " and you were asked " ..

Evangelism is a calling; the Lord gave me the scripture " Devout yourself to the public reading of scripture "

Persecution and ridicule are my constant companions!
The Cross.. the Cross.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:11:55 AM
Solipsist here. I don't believe my senses. I would do the same thing I'm doing now: whatever I feel like.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:14:58 AM
At 3/3/2011 5:11:55 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Solipsist here. I don't believe my senses. I would do the same thing I'm doing now: whatever I feel like.

So you do not believe that you have written, nor successively posted, this post? OR that I have answered it? OR dismantled it before your very eyes? you don't trust that?
The Cross.. the Cross.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:18:44 AM
At 3/3/2011 5:14:58 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

So you do not believe that you have written, nor successively posted, this post? OR that I have answered it? OR dismantled it before your very eyes? you don't trust that?

I know I perceived it. I'm agnostic to whether it physically happened or not.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:22:15 AM
At 3/3/2011 5:18:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:

But you continue to react and live as if it did; this is called reality.. Welcome!
The Cross.. the Cross.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:25:23 AM
At 3/3/2011 5:22:15 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

But you continue to react and live as if it did; this is called reality.. Welcome!

For the most part, yes. That's simply a preference.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:28:42 AM
At 3/3/2011 5:25:23 AM, FREEDO wrote:

And the alternative is what? a coma? paralysis? death? to engage with your perceived surroundings is ALL you have, just like the rest of us!
The Cross.. the Cross.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:48:30 AM
At 3/3/2011 5:28:42 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

And the alternative is what? a coma? paralysis? death? to engage with your perceived surroundings is ALL you have, just like the rest of us!

I obviously can't escape my perceptions(unless I died) but there's a difference between escaping it and engaging with it in a fashion which does not recognize it as legitimate.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 1:51:14 PM

You could have phrased the question like this:

If you were taken to a North Korean prison camp and made to experience the extent to which a human being could be made to suffer would you then become a propagandist for the regime in order to prevent your compatriots from having to endure unspeakable agony. Would you try to persuade pro-democratic rebels against agitating for regime change by telling them about the horrors of the prison camp.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 9:20:24 AM
At 3/3/2011 5:48:30 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/3/2011 5:28:42 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

I obviously can't escape my perceptions(unless I died) but there's a difference between escaping it and engaging with it in a fashion which does not recognize it as legitimate.

the act of engagement LEGITAMIZES the perception!
The Cross.. the Cross.