Jump to topic:

Question to Athiests/Agnostics

BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:43:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Before I start, I would like to make two things abundantly clear.
1. I do not want to start any kind of argumentation, I have a simple question that I would like a sincere answer to it.
2. I am a Christian myself, and my belief is firmly rooted. so pleas do not answer with the intention of trying to convince me/ or any-one else that God is not real, but instead simply answer explaining why you do not believe.

So my question is this, (as though you don't already know it) what is your reason for not believing in God?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:45:36 PM
the answer that you are going to get is "lack of evidence" from nearly everyone.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:50:07 PM
At 3/3/2011 6:43:10 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
1. I do not want to start any kind of argumentation,

I thought this was Debate.org? lol.

So my question is this, (as though you don't already know it) what is your reason for not believing in God?

On an intuitive level, there simply is no impact of a God in my life, nor is there any immediate indication that he exists. I also oppose the idea of a God because he is merely an authoritarian dictator, except worse because he has power over the whole universe and his reign extends over everyone. God is like a cosmic Hitler. While it is certainly possible for such a being to exist, I do not wish for such a being's existence.

On a more philosophical level, the arguments for God do not hold up and can all be dismantled. There are also strong Atheistic arguments actually demonstrate God's existence in both a philosophical and scientific way.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:52:46 PM
Define god, and I'll tell you if I'm an atheist or not.

Then I'll answer your question.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:53:37 PM
At 3/3/2011 6:52:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I would say this if it made a difference for me.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:57:01 PM

I'm sorry but no; I promise it's not a trick question, when I say God you can essentially infer exactly what I mean.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 7:13:40 PM
At 3/3/2011 6:57:01 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:

I'm sorry but no; I promise it's not a trick question, when I say God you can essentially infer exactly what I mean.

There are many ways to define god. There are many ways to interpret god.

I don't believe in the traditional understanding god, because there is no reason to. No evidence, and it sounds very unlikely.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 7:14:23 PM
1. I do not want to start any kind of argumentation, I have a simple question that I would like a sincere answer to it.

I can do that.

2. I am a Christian myself, and my belief is firmly rooted. so pleas do not answer with the intention of trying to convince me/ or any-one else that God is not real, but instead simply answer explaining why you do not believe.

I can't promise I won't justify my non-belief to those who will attack my reasoning but I'll start off by simply explaining.

1. Lack of evidence -- To make a claim like, "God exists" or even the assertion "God most likely exists", I would need conclusive evidence or stronger arguments than which exist currently. Neither exists.

2. Overall implausibility -- a sky-dictator is a little extreme for me to support. An omnipresent, omniscience, omnibenevolent, etc. being is a little extreme for me to support. The idea that a supernatural being which created this universe has a vested interest in what I do is a little extreme. A creator of the universe (even one that leaves afterwards or becomes part of it's creation) is a little extreme for me to support.

3. Authority -- I'm not one to bow down to authoritative figures anyways. :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 7:37:43 PM
At 3/3/2011 7:14:23 PM, annhasle wrote:

I can do that.

I can't promise I won't justify my non-belief to those who will attack my reasoning but I'll start off by simply explaining.

1. Lack of evidence -- To make a claim like, "God exists" or even the assertion "God most likely exists", I would need conclusive evidence or stronger arguments than which exist currently. Neither exists.

2. Overall implausibility -- a sky-dictator is a little extreme for me to support. An omnipresent, omniscience, omnibenevolent, etc. being is a little extreme for me to support. The idea that a supernatural being which created this universe has a vested interest in what I do is a little extreme. A creator of the universe (even one that leaves afterwards or becomes part of it's creation) is a little extreme for me to support.

Thank you sincerely for your answers! I am thankful you are willing to state your beliefs in such a calm, and sincere manner.

That said, we still need to debate Morality Ann :3
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 7:45:05 PM
At 3/3/2011 6:45:36 PM, OreEle wrote:
the answer that you are going to get is "lack of evidence" from nearly everyone.

Yeah, after the first couple of responses I think the same; but you never know right? some-one might not believe in God for a different reason altogether.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 7:47:39 PM
At 3/3/2011 7:37:43 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
At 3/3/2011 7:14:23 PM, annhasle wrote:

I can do that.

Thank you sincerely for your answers! I am thankful you are willing to state your beliefs in such a calm, and sincere manner.

Haha, no problem whatsoever. :)

That said, we still need to debate Morality Ann :3

Yes we do! What is your moral stance?
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 7:58:44 PM
This is to Ann-

My stance on morality is pretty conservative. I believe that a common morality is incredibly important to have a well functioning society; but I also believe that morality is incredibly vague, so there could never be a single set standard for morality.

I also believe that for something to truly fall into the category of being considered morality, it has to be something more than an opinion, but must co-inside with a deep rooted sense of right and wrong; and adhere to that standard of what is right.

And am I correct in saying that you're a Moral Nihilist?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 8:04:05 PM
At 3/3/2011 7:45:05 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:

Yeah, after the first couple of responses I think the same; but you never know right? some-one might not believe in God for a different reason altogether.

Did you even read my response? "Lack of evidence" was not my reason for disbelief in God. Go read it again.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 8:06:21 PM
At 3/3/2011 7:58:44 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
This is to Ann-

My stance on morality is pretty conservative. I believe that a common morality is incredibly important to have a well functioning society; but I also believe that morality is incredibly vague, so there could never be a single set standard for morality.

Does your ethical standard stem from your belief in God?

I also believe that for something to truly fall into the category of being considered morality, it has to be something more than an opinion, but must co-inside with a deep rooted sense of right and wrong; and adhere to that standard of what is right.

Ah, there is something we can focus on -- the existence of a "deep rooted sense" of right and wrong. You believe that "right" and "wrong" are inherent in human relations?

Yes I am. :)
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 8:15:13 PM
At 3/3/2011 8:04:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/3/2011 7:45:05 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:

Did you even read my response? "Lack of evidence" was not my reason for disbelief in God. Go read it again.

I did indeed read your post. Did you read the latter half of my statements of this post? I conceded that there are going to be people (such as you) that do not believe in God for different reasons altogether
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 8:19:33 PM
At 3/3/2011 8:06:21 PM, annhasle wrote:
This is to Ann-

Does your ethical standard stem from your belief in God?

Ah, there is something we can focus on -- the existence of a "deep rooted sense" of right and wrong. You believe that "right" and "wrong" are inherent in human relations?

Yes I am. :)

In order of you're questions asked,
1. Yes absolutely! before I was a Christian my moral and philosophical stances on many things where incredibly different! I was incredibly liberal in many areas (give I became a Christian around the age of twelve, so I wasn't too liberal.

2. No, no I don't. I believe that man is inherently born with a sinful nature, so until God calls them, they're going to believe in whatever they're going to believe. I believe that a true sense of right and wrong come from God.

3. I thought as much :3, I've read some of your other posts to indicate as much.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 8:23:31 PM
At 3/3/2011 8:19:33 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
1. Yes absolutely! before I was a Christian my moral and philosophical stances on many things where incredibly different! I was incredibly liberal in many areas (give I became a Christian around the age of twelve, so I wasn't too liberal.

So our debate would be contingent on the existence of God then.

2. No, no I don't. I believe that man is inherently born with a sinful nature, so until God calls them, they're going to believe in whatever they're going to believe. I believe that a true sense of right and wrong come from God.

See above.

This could complicate our debate since you would be asserting that God gives us "right" and "wrong" while I would assert that his existence is not proven and therefore morality is a human construct. Our debate would be contingent on His existence instead of morality.

3. I thought as much :3, I've read some of your other posts to indicate as much.

Haha, and my profile says so. :P
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 8:27:58 PM
At 3/3/2011 8:23:31 PM, annhasle wrote:

So our debate would be contingent on the existence of God then.

See above.

This could complicate our debate since you would be asserting that God gives us "right" and "wrong" while I would assert that his existence is not proven and therefore morality is a human construct. Our debate would be contingent on His existence instead of morality.

Haha, and my profile says so. :P

No, I don't want to debate the existence of God, because I feel he cannot be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be true or false. That is something that comes down to faith.

I'll even go so far as to say that God has purposely made it so that he cannot be "proven" because he wants people to believe in him.

I can back this belief up with scripture if you so desire; but I'll choose not to include it here as I don't think you believe in the bible.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 8:31:36 PM
At 3/3/2011 8:27:58 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
At 3/3/2011 8:23:31 PM, annhasle wrote:
No, I don't want to debate the existence of God, because I feel he cannot be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be true or false. That is something that comes down to faith.

I'll even go so far as to say that God has purposely made it so that he cannot be "proven" because he wants people to believe in him.

I can back this belief up with scripture if you so desire; but I'll choose not to include it here as I don't think you believe in the bible.

It's not that I want to debate his existence (I'm not adverse to it either) but rather -- your entire argument would be predicated on him existing if he is the justification for your morals.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 10:58:55 PM
At 3/3/2011 7:13:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I don't believe in the traditional understanding god, because there is no reason to. No evidence, and it sounds very unlikely.

Dude. you may have left the UU church but you still think like one :P
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:28:52 AM
At 3/3/2011 10:58:55 PM, rogue wrote:
At 3/3/2011 7:13:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Dude. you may have left the UU church but you still think like one :P

I went there for like a month and a half.

I agree with their principles.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:33:20 AM

Lack of evidence. There appears to be no real case for God's existence. Specifically the Christian God can be shown to be self-contradictory so can not exist, other Gods I am not so sure about.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 4:26:38 AM
At 3/3/2011 6:55:46 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
At 3/3/2011 6:50:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I don't believe in anything. Radical skepticism.

May I ask why?

Nothing is verifiable. All beliefs, including supposedly logical ones, at some point down in their chain of justifications will either end up circular or a dead-end(faith). Not even this statement is verifiable. This is why the only possible direction to go when one comes to grips with these realizations is also to relinquish the dogma of seriousness. It is necessary for me to make assertions, so as to communicate properly, it however doesn't mean I truly believe anything I say. My philosophy is play; game.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:01:45 AM
My reason for my non-belief is entirely personal.

Before I became an athiest, my best friend (we were more like one person in two different bodies) was so fired up about god that you couldn't help but agree with him, then one day, he cmopletely lost all faith. Completely gone. I tried to get him to talk about it, but he refused. He pretty much spiraled down into depression and on January 12th 2009 he killed himself. No one knows why. It really got me to wondering about how someone could lose their faith so quickly, and then it expanded to a thought line of "why would an all-loving, all-forgiving god let these kinds of things happen?" and then I decided I was fed up with having religion force-fed to me and gave it up.

Also lack of evidence... if God walked down the street and introduced himself, or if an actual blind person regained their sight, then I would definitely be open to changing my views.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:32:56 AM

For the same reason you don't believe in Vishnu or Allah.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:39:31 AM
Mainly the problem of evil, but other things as well, such as the presumption of atheism, argument from non-belief, the problem of hell, the michael martin type arguments of contradictory attributes, naturalistic evolution, and the failure (as I see it) of theistic arguments.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:49:10 AM
Some might take my ease of claiming to be a part of another religion as a lack of conviction.

What they don't understand is that these are labels, and they have no meaning. Unless I'm required to follow a priest or something, I'm not going to have a problem.

These are meaningless labels. Many religions, which are more philosophies than anything.. Are easily compatible with each other.