Jump to topic:

Just something fun...

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 12:52:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is directed at everybody whether they're atheist, theist, agnostic, whatever. Say there is a new dictator and he/she wants everybody to change their religious beliefs or they'll be killed. however, this dictator has decided to show some mercy and allow you to choose which to follow although he/she doesn't like atheism, agnosticism, pastafarianism, or any of the other joke religions so which would you choose? You must also live by this new religion fully, adopting all its traditions, rituals, etc. I just thought this would be fun, to see what everybody chooses, lol.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:02:39 AM
I would choose death before forsaking my lords name. At least I hope I would anyway, It is a large boast to say one would have the integrity to proclaim the same values even in the face of death, but ideally that kind of integrity is the kind I would hope I have when push comes to shove.

why would I choose death, logically? because I know where I'm going, God is still on the throne in heaven, and better things await there. When someone threatens your life, and you know were your headed the threat is really not such a big deal.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:04:37 AM
At 3/4/2011 1:02:39 AM, Marauder wrote:
I would choose death before forsaking my lords name. At least I hope I would anyway, It is a large boast to say one would have the integrity to proclaim the same values even in the face of death, but ideally that kind of integrity is the kind I would hope I have when push comes to shove.

why would I choose death, logically? because I know where I'm going, God is still on the throne in heaven, and better things await there. When someone threatens your life, and you know were your headed the threat is really not such a big deal.

Hmm...I completely over-looked that while making this question up, lol. Perhaps my scenario works better for those who are non-religious, forcing them to adopt a religion.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:17:55 AM
At 3/4/2011 1:05:40 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Actually, I'm changing it. Instead of death you're imprisoned in the worst possible conditions and tortured until you die.

Same answer as before.

As Joel Olsteen would say, In faith I would need to make sure while going through the storm that I dont let the storm get into me, and that when doubt starts to set in I would need to 'wake up the word' to word it off and retain my peace until its my time to see my maker in paridise.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:26:28 AM
At 3/4/2011 1:25:14 AM, Sangers wrote:
ROFL Why on EARTH would you die for Atheism? That's just messed up o.0

Hmm...ok, I'll admit. This sounded better in my head. :s
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:26:44 AM
There is no way the dictator would know if I changed my religious beliefs or not.

I'd just say I'm a Taoist, and the dictator would be none the wiser.

Luckily my "religious" beliefs are compatible with many different "religions".

Of course, Discordianism is not a joke religion, even though it is a joke religion. It's unseriously serious about being seriously unserious, but its nonsense makes a lot of sense.

I am offended, mam.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sangers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 1:28:41 AM
At 3/4/2011 1:26:44 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
There is no way the dictator would know if I changed my religious beliefs or not.

Of course, Discordianism is not a joke religion, even though it is a joke religion. It's unseriously serious about being seriously unserious, but its nonsense makes a lot of sense.

I am offended, mam.

Dude... what?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 2:24:18 AM
At 3/4/2011 1:28:41 AM, Sangers wrote:
At 3/4/2011 1:26:44 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I am offended, mam.

Dude... what?

I don't know. Some people consider Discordianism to be a joke religion that lacks any philosophical value. That's just silly if you ask me.

I also think it is silly to single out any one religion as a joke religion, because most religions are joke religions, people are just too dense to realize it.

Christianity is a good example. Why do you think Jesus told his disciples to go out and perform miracles and stuff? Probably to get them to realize that they were fvcking retarded. Obviously didn't work, as they made a religion about him.. The guy PURPOSELY made false prophecies so that people would figure out that he was making fun of them the whole time... But nah, TRUE believers.. they don't believe in sense.

Jesus was straight up pimp, partying with knee breakers and prostitutes.. Turning all the water into wine. He was like the Dolemite of his day. He was hung on the cross for being superfly, having common sense, and being a fantastic bull sh!tter.

Then again, what do I know? I'm apparently on drugs, and my posts have been rumored to kill brain cells.

Bwehehehehe
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 2:34:39 AM
At 3/4/2011 2:24:18 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I'm on drugs, and my posts kill brain cells.

Bwehehehehe

I'd say your posts have a positive effect by weeding out the weak brain cells which couldn't handle the pressure.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 2:37:21 AM
Well obviously that would not change my beliefs, but if forced to profess a faith I'd go with Church of England. It as liberal as it can be without turning into a joke.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 2:41:30 AM
If I were forced to follow any religion I would be a Cantheist :)

(not a joke religion; watch the video lol)
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 2:44:32 AM
At 3/4/2011 2:41:30 AM, jmar8542 wrote:
If I were forced to follow any religion I would be a Cantheist :)

(not a joke religion; watch the video lol)

lol I know that one is real. They have an actual creed to follow and such.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 2:57:14 AM
At 3/4/2011 2:46:16 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Oh, I didn't give my answer. I would probably choose some form of paganism.

Aren't you Jewish?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 2:58:48 AM
At 3/4/2011 2:45:03 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/4/2011 2:43:54 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I choose imprisonment.

So you would rather be tortured? These are torture prisons...

I mean to say that, no-matter the deterrent, I will not submit but fight back.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 3:12:46 AM
At 3/4/2011 2:57:14 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/4/2011 2:46:16 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Oh, I didn't give my answer. I would probably choose some form of paganism.

Aren't you Jewish?

Yea. So?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 3:49:58 AM
At 3/4/2011 12:52:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
: This is directed at everybody whether they're atheist, theist, agnostic, whatever. Say there is a new dictator and he/she wants everybody to change their religious beliefs or they'll be killed. however, this dictator has decided to show some mercy and allow you to choose which to follow although he/she doesn't like atheism, agnosticism, pastafarianism, or any of the other joke religions so which would you choose? You must also live by this new religion fully, adopting all its traditions, rituals, etc. I just thought this would be fun, to see what everybody chooses, lol.

I understand what you are attempting to do, but this really only applies to those who are 'athiest, agnostic, or have a joke religion' (like the UU's or Buddhists).
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 4:05:59 AM
At 3/4/2011 3:49:58 AM, innomen wrote:
I understand what you are attempting to do, but this really only applies to those who are 'athiest, agnostic, or have a joke religion' (like the UU's or Buddhists).

Neither of those are "joke" religions. What evidence do you have to assert that Buddhism is a joke religion?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 4:07:50 AM
At 3/4/2011 4:05:59 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Neither of those are "joke" religions. What evidence do you have to assert that Buddhism is a joke religion?

lol, when I said joke religion I was referring to pastafarianism, church of raptor jesus, etc.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 4:10:21 AM
At 3/4/2011 4:07:50 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

lol, when I said joke religion I was referring to pastafarianism, church of raptor jesus, etc.

Raptor Jesus is not a joke! He went extinct for your sins!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 4:12:05 AM

Oh sorry, i didn't know you were listening.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 4:16:12 AM
At 3/4/2011 4:12:05 AM, innomen wrote:

Irrelevant. Justify your assertion.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 4:25:39 AM
At 3/4/2011 4:16:12 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/4/2011 4:12:05 AM, innomen wrote:

Irrelevant. Justify your assertion.

We've been through this before, and i have to run to meditation - maybe later.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:48:41 AM
At 3/4/2011 12:52:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
This is directed at everybody whether they're atheist, theist, agnostic, whatever. Say there is a new dictator and he/she wants everybody to change their religious beliefs or they'll be killed. however, this dictator has decided to show some mercy and allow you to choose which to follow although he/she doesn't like atheism, agnosticism, pastafarianism, or any of the other joke religions so which would you choose? You must also live by this new religion fully, adopting all its traditions, rituals, etc. I just thought this would be fun, to see what everybody chooses, lol.

1) How is lack of religion a joke religion?
2) Pastafarianism is NOT a joke religion!!! Millions (if not dozens) of people practice it :) http://www.cracked.com...
3) As has already been noted, what is to stop people from secretly practicing their original religion, while maintaining the semblance of whatever religion that is selected?

But I would probably be a Buddhist.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.