Jump to topic:

Question for all theists

Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 7:54:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hey, fellas! I was just had a question for everyone that considers themself a theist. I'm particularly interested to hear what my Christian brothers and sisters have to say.

Ok. Theists, do you believe in literal creation or in the Big Bang Theory and evolution?

I personally don't believe in literal creation. I think science and religion can go hand and hand to an extent. I believe in evolution and the big bang and whatnot but that God started it and set everything in motion.

I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say!
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 8:25:34 PM
I don't take the creation story literally, no. Inb4 Godsands calls us all heretics. :p
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 8:33:36 PM
As a Theist, I believe in neither. Big bang is a process, not an origin, and the Biblical creation is jut up there with the extraterrestrial abductions.
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 9:58:24 PM
Literal Creation???? What does that even mean??? Evolution wow Genesis 1:1 Enough said
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:09:51 PM
At 3/8/2011 9:58:24 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Literal Creation???? What does that even mean??? Evolution wow Genesis 1:1 Enough said

We already have one Godsands here.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:41:10 PM
Yea and we also already have a bunch of people going to Hell here too
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:45:21 PM
At 3/8/2011 10:41:10 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:

If God is supposably so loving why would he send people to hell for eternal suffering? I have a suspicion as to what you're going to give for an answer so here's another question: if God so badly wants to be worshipped why doesn't he just come down here and show himself to everybody instead of just a select few people?
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:51:21 PM
At 3/8/2011 10:45:21 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

If God is supposedly so loving why would he send people to hell for eternal suffering? I have a suspicion as to what you're going to give for an answer so here's another question: if God so badly wants to be worshiped why doesn't he just come down here and show himself to everybody instead of just a select few people?

Correct me if I am wrong but has God ever shown themselves to anyone? Doesn't he send and arch angel or something?
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:53:01 PM
At 3/8/2011 10:51:21 PM, Anarcho wrote:

If God is supposedly so loving why would he send people to hell for eternal suffering? I have a suspicion as to what you're going to give for an answer so here's another question: if God so badly wants to be worshiped why doesn't he just come down here and show himself to everybody instead of just a select few people?

Correct me if I am wrong but has God ever shown themselves to anyone? Doesn't he send and arch angel or something?

No, only to Joseph Smith and Muhammad. He used other methods, but if he demands worship so much he better start revealing himself.
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:54:01 PM
At 3/8/2011 10:53:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

No, only to Joseph Smith and Muhammad. He used other methods, but if he demands worship so much he better start revealing himself.

Virgin Mary?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:55:08 PM
At 3/8/2011 7:54:40 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
Hey, fellas! I was just had a question for everyone that considers themself a theist. I'm particularly interested to hear what my Christian brothers and sisters have to say.

Ok. Theists, do you believe in literal creation or in the Big Bang Theory and evolution?

I personally don't believe in literal creation. I think science and religion can go hand and hand to an extent. I believe in evolution and the big bang and whatnot but that God started it and set everything in motion.

I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say!

I also think science and religion can go hand in hand, there not enemies in my mind, but I dont think YEC treats science as an enemy of religion either.

I am comfertable with with the idea of theist evolution or the big bang and it not bother my faith, but I still dont believe in either anyway. I think theres sufficent evidence the earth at the very least was formed instantaneously http://www.halos.com... and the processes of natural selection and random mutations could never cause all the life that is on earth now over any number of billion years.

orgins wise I find I generaly agree with the Hovid theory (awaits immature responses about Hovinds tax evasion to roll eyes at)
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:55:19 PM
At 3/8/2011 10:54:01 PM, Anarcho wrote:

Virgin Mary?

Technically she's not a prophet though and we don't even have any concrete evidence backing up Jesus' nor Mary's existence.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:55:58 PM

LMAO
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:56:06 PM
At 3/8/2011 10:53:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Virgin Mary?

Apparently only in the form of a bush to Moses.

pray to the bush
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:56:45 PM
At 3/8/2011 10:55:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Virgin Mary?

Technically she's not a prophet though and we don't even have any concrete evidence backing up Jesus' nor Mary's existence.

You just don't like Jesus because he was teh best!

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 10:59:34 PM

Moses, Ezeikiel, Abraham, Jacob, everyone that saw Jesus, to just name a few.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:02:55 PM
God has shown himself, He even came to Earth, You just don't want to believe. Thats it. And God doesn't send anyone to Hell You send your self there, He made a way out for each and everyone one of you but your just like nahhhh I'd rather get a deep deep sun tan.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:04:18 PM
At 3/8/2011 11:02:55 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
God has shown himself, He even came to Earth, You just don't want to believe. Thats it. And God doesn't send anyone to Hell You send your self there, He made a way out for each and everyone one of you but your just like nahhhh I'd rather get a deep deep sun tan.

God did not come to earth. Also, God is the one sending people to hell. He created it.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:05:08 PM

Not sure if troll.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:07:35 PM
Well if your looking for evidence only devine intervantion could be proven. Otherwize its just going to bring you circiler arguments like fruadulent science as we experienced from the global warming camp.or unpruven quotes from quran.!its pointless: At 3/8/2011 8:25:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I don't take the creation story literally, no. Inb4 Godsands calls us all heretics. :p
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:08:51 PM
At 3/8/2011 11:07:35 PM, banker wrote:
Well if your looking for evidence only devine intervantion could be proven. Otherwize its just going to bring you circiler arguments like fruadulent science as we experienced from the global warming camp.or unpruven quotes from quran.!its pointless: At 3/8/2011 8:25:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

honest to god banker please just tell me why you end your sentences with.....! this punctuation. I've literally been waiting an entire year to know this.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:10:37 PM
God has shown himself, He even came to Earth, You just don't want to believe.

If I wanted people to believe my extraordinary claims I'd be super straightforward about it, rather than completely ambiguous and vague. Just sayin'.

Thats it. And God doesn't send anyone to Hell You send your self there, He made a way out for each and everyone one of you but your just like nahhhh I'd rather get a deep deep sun tan.

LOL
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:25:23 PM
Haa I forgot who said God didn't come to Earth and God is sending people to Hell but whoever did, you don't know what you are saying.
God did make it obvious, what is vague about Him????

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:34:54 PM
At 3/8/2011 11:25:23 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Haa I forgot who said God didn't come to Earth and God is sending people to Hell but whoever did, you don't know what you are saying.

Are you for real?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:39:07 PM
At 3/8/2011 11:25:23 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:

For one, all the different religions and denominations within those religions who interpret the Bible (and other religious texts) in different ways---how much more vague can you get?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 11:41:51 PM
The Christian God is incredibly subjective!

As there are reported to be approximately 38,000 Christian denominations,[1] many of which cannot be verified to be significant, only those denominations with Wikipedia articles will be listed in order to ensure that all entries on this list are notable and verifiable.
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 12:26:06 AM
How many of you have actually read the Bible for yourselves??? Huh???

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 4:22:13 AM
At 3/8/2011 11:07:35 PM, banker wrote:

Look who's back. We've all missed your posts bud.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:28:51 PM
I believe in a literal creation. aka Creationsim. I also believe science is in the eye of the beholder. Evidence is nuetral but the observer will have bias and a paradyme (worldview, presupposition). I do not believe in Theistic Evolution mainly because I think macroevolution is a joke but also because if death is a result of sin then why would death (via evolution) occur before Adam? Would seem like a high contradiction to me....
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:29:44 PM

If God is supposably so loving why would he send people to hell for eternal suffering? I have a suspicion as to what you're going to give for an answer so here's another question: if God so badly wants to be worshipped why doesn't he just come down here and show himself to everybody instead of just a select few people?

Read Romans 1-3...