Jump to topic:

Religion, is it destroying mankind ?

interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 1:40:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You have Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddism, Yoga, Jehovah Witness, and more.
So many of us are living here on Earth today. But we do have some extremely
divisive
philosophical, and ideological differences. And some of us have even had wars because of what we believe in. But what about that ole religion. Is this good for mankind.
Or is it bad. Answers please.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 1:54:08 PM
Philosophical differences aren't necessarily divisive. Difference of opinions has brought us all here together on debate.org. So don't blame that for wars. Blame the violent doctrines of religions for war.

Also, "yoga"? WTF? That's not a fvcking religion.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 1:54:55 PM
At 3/9/2011 1:40:55 PM, interrogator wrote:
You have Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddism, Yoga, Jehovah Witness, and more.
divisive
philosophical, and ideological differences. And some of us have even had wars because of what we believe in. But what about that ole religion. Is this good for mankind.

LMFAO, I didn't get past that.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 1:55:16 PM
wars exist and will continue to exist. Religion is just a tool used by corrupt men in power to fool others into going to war.

It can be nationalistic, economic, racist, resource-based, etc. Removing religion doesn't remove war.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:02:47 PM
At 3/9/2011 1:55:16 PM, askbob wrote:
wars exist and will continue to exist. Religion is just a tool used by corrupt men in power to fool others into going to war.

Partially true.

You are forgetting that the Quran and Bible have explicit calls for violence in them. Direct commands from God.

It can be nationalistic, economic, racist, resource-based, etc. Removing religion doesn't remove war.

True, but religion constitutes are large part of the causes for war.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:03:24 PM
divisive

As time goes on, humans will be more and more reliant on science and technology in order to progress and survive as a species.

With this in mind, a tightly held beleif that is institutionalised and pushed which requires people to suspend logical reason and rational thought is a direct detriment to our long term survival as a species.

At the most extreme, for example, consider the human race requiring moving the entire population of the planet from Earth to either the outer solar system, or a seperate solar system before Sun turns into a supergiant. Leaving this exercise down to those who beleive the rapture is coming will doom us all.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:26:10 PM
A combination of closed mindedness and an unwillingness to take the time to communicate.

Stupidity is mankind's reigning virtue. Religion is just a manifestation of all of these things.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:27:00 PM
At 3/9/2011 1:55:16 PM, askbob wrote:

This.

Damn, I have been agreeing with you alot lately.

anyway, the only way to truly remove war would be to remove politics, which would be impossible.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:38:46 PM
At 3/9/2011 2:02:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Partially true.

You are forgetting that the Quran and Bible have explicit calls for violence in them. Direct commands from God.
Neither the Qur'an, and in all justness, nor the Bible call for "explicit violence." The Qur'an is more protective of innocents, though.

So, what are your arguments on "violence"? Non-pacifism in general?
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:41:04 PM
Insertname. I told you before. I am a very down to Earth kind of guy.
I am human just like you. I am a much more open minded person
than you think my friend.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:42:55 PM
At 3/9/2011 2:41:04 PM, interrogator wrote:

If you really believe that, give me 2 things that you do not like about your Religion.
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:58:00 PM
Parrot. Please. I can give you more than that.
But I told you before.
I made my choice based on what I feel inside.
My influence is more divine than anything else.
It is not based on worldy knowledge or ideas.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:04:46 PM
At 3/9/2011 2:58:00 PM, interrogator wrote:
But I told you before.

My enemies call me Parrot

so what are just 2 things if you are so open minded?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:05:06 PM
At 3/9/2011 2:41:04 PM, interrogator wrote:

why do you type all your posts like you're writing some weird asss haiku?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:23:30 PM
Parrot. (smiling) Your enemies. Gee, I am surprised that you have those.
Anyway. I already gave you my answer. Stop being such a wuss.
Enjoy life please. There is no need to sit here and debate everything all day long.
That is for nerds. Did you get that ? Good. =)
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:27:37 PM
At 3/9/2011 3:23:30 PM, interrogator wrote:
Parrot. (smiling) Your enemies. Gee, I am surprised that you have those.
Anyway. I already gave you my answer. Stop being such a wuss.
Enjoy life please. There is no need to sit here and debate everything all day long.
That is for nerds. Did you get that ? Good. =)

The nerd asks something,
two things to dislike from religion
he gets no reply
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 4:58:09 PM
At 3/9/2011 1:54:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Philosophical differences aren't necessarily divisive. Difference of opinions has brought us all here together on debate.org. So don't blame that for wars. Blame the violent doctrines of religions for war.

Also, "yoga"? WTF? That's not a fvcking religion.

hahahahah! i literally laughed out loud at this.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 6:41:31 PM
At 3/9/2011 1:58:37 PM, interrogator wrote:
Lets be honest though. Religion is more good than bad. Right.

I definitely don't think so. It gives people a reason to wage war, be condescending, discriminate, hate, and teaches them to suspend reason, logic, and analysis.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 6:43:33 PM
But I told you before.

*cries* I hope Gavin rapes you verbally.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 7:41:01 PM
At 3/9/2011 6:43:33 PM, rogue wrote:
But I told you before.

And makes him take dicktation !
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 7:47:25 PM

ROFL. xD

divisive

Religion itself is not bad or harmful. Its the followers who choose to do the less-than-desirable actions like genocide. So the fault should be their's right?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 8:16:33 PM
But I told you before.

You finally admit that you base nothing on knowledge or scientifically constructed ideas, but only your inability to comprehend logic and reason. I can respect your honesty here, and certainly hope you will continue use a little more integrity in your posting. On a more serious note, you also claim divine communication in this post, which is disturbing, at best. You are basically claiming that you communicate directly with god, therefore, you could possibly be mentally ill. I have suggested that you partake in a strict medication regimen before, and I will reiterate that now. Those voices you are hearing are not god, and could possibly lead to your committing suicide in the future. My real question is, why wait? Do yourself, and our species, a favor and kill yourself asap. You are more useful as fertilizer.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 8:23:47 PM

That's what she said
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 8:27:54 PM
At 3/9/2011 7:41:01 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
At 3/9/2011 6:43:33 PM, rogue wrote:
But I told you before.

And makes him take dicktation !

I'm sure he takes at least one "dicktation" a day, and in multiple orifices.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 2:54:51 AM
At 3/9/2011 2:38:46 PM, Mirza wrote:
Neither the Qur'an, and in all justness, nor the Bible call for "explicit violence." The Qur'an is more protective of innocents, though.

Say what? We talking about the same holy texts here?

Deuteronomy 20: 13-17 - God commands the Israelites to slaughter every living thing they can possibly slaughter, leave nothing alive that breathes, take the people they haven't slaughtered, including women and children, enslave them, and finally, eat the spoils of their enemies - "Like God has commanded them." I guess that'll do from the Bible because that's essentially the book of Deuteronomy and ALL of Joshua in a nutshell.

As for the Quran, refer to Surah 9:111 and 5:38:

9:111 Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an.

5:38 As for the thief, both male and female, cut off their hands. It is the reward of their own deeds, an exemplary punishment from Allah. Allah is Mighty, Wise.

Good stuff, no? If that's not explicit violence, I believe you have a faulty definition of the term.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:01:14 AM
At 3/10/2011 2:54:51 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 3/9/2011 2:38:46 PM, Mirza wrote:

Say what? We talking about the same holy texts here?

Deuteronomy 20: 13-17 - God commands the Israelites to slaughter every living thing they can possibly slaughter, leave nothing alive that breathes, take the people they haven't slaughtered, including women and children, enslave them, and finally, eat the spoils of their enemies - "Like God has commanded them." I guess that'll do from the Bible because that's essentially the book of Deuteronomy and ALL of Joshua in a nutshell.

As for the Quran, refer to Surah 9:111 and 5:38:

9:111 Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an.

5:38 As for the thief, both male and female, cut off their hands. It is the reward of their own deeds, an exemplary punishment from Allah. Allah is Mighty, Wise.

Good stuff, no? If that's not explicit violence, I believe you have a faulty definition of the term.

InB4 out of context.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...