Jump to topic:

Worshipping any scripture is Idolatry

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 5:46:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah, but nobody worships a book. Have you ever seen anyone kneel down and pray to a Bible or Vedic text?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 5:50:07 PM
At 3/14/2011 5:46:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Yeah, but nobody worships a book. Have you ever seen anyone kneel down and pray to a Bible or Vedic text?

This.
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 5:58:27 PM

I believe he said "Worshipping any SCRIPTURE is Idolatry", not the paper!!!!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:10:12 PM
Scripture- "A body of writings considered sacred or authoritative"

Worship- "reverent honor and homage paid to god or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred."

Sacred- "entitled to veneration or religious respect by association with divinity or divine things; holy."

Idolatry- "immoderate attachment or devotion to something"

Yep, I'd say so.

I'd also like to note that by elevating any text to the special word of god, you are worshiping it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 11:47:04 PM

I have seen in India various texts well respected due to their age, how long they have sustained, they predate paper. Of course it is not the book itself which is being worshiped, as you can find people praying while focusing on it, it is the commitment to the God which is usually focused on one of the three main aspects. The book serves in the same way someone would recite a prayer, use a set of beads, etc. . And they serve to remind them of the age and depth of their religion, etc. . But yes, you don't see people offering sacrifices to the Gita.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 5:23:09 AM
At 3/14/2011 5:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Unless you believe God is words?

John 5:39
You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,
The Cross.. the Cross.