Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do Atheists have morals ?

interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am wondering about this. I have never seen so many vile, disrespectful,
and shameless acts. They talk about Christians as if they are the ones
causing the worlds problems. Keep in mind, that everyone who cries, Lord
Lord, is not of God. You have your false prophets, hypocrties, and war mongers.
They are the ones who are misrepresenting religion, and the Church Of God.
The Klan, the Taliban, Alqeda, Freemasons. They are not the ones who are
representing Christianity. This needs to be corrected. But back to the subject
here today. Do Atheists have morals ? If so, then where do they come from.
You dont seem to mind taking pride in doing wrong.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:25:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What is morality?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:26:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Where does anyone's morality come from?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:27:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
*tosses the troll a hot dog, then runs away*
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:31:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Morals. The judgement of goodness and badness in human actions and
character. It is not natural. It has to be taught by those who raise us.
Bad is anything the degrades or disrespects another humans beings rights or
civil existence. Sometimes it is by force. But we know what it right and what is
wrong. That is why we have laws. What do you think.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:31:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:36:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
I am wondering about this. I have never seen so many vile,

What is vile?

disrespectful,

What is disrespectful?

and shameless acts.

What is shameless?

They talk about Christians

What are Christians?

as if they are the ones causing the worlds problems.

What problems?

Keep in mind, that everyone who cries, Lord
Lord, is not of God. You have your false prophets,

What is a true prophet?

hypocrties, and war mongers

Who isn't a hypocrite?

They are the ones who are misrepresenting religion, and the Church Of God.

Who properly represents religion? What is the church of God?

The Klan, the Taliban, Alqeda, Freemasons. They are not the ones who are
representing Christianity.

Isn't the Klan the only institution up there that claims to have ties to Christianity?

This needs to be corrected. But back to the subject
here today. Do Atheists have morals ? If so, then where do they come from?

What is an atheist? What are morals?

You dont seem to mind taking pride in doing wrong.

What is pride? What is wrong? What are you saying?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:36:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
what?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:48:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am saying that these certain groups and institutions are using the name of
The Lord as propaganda. The true church is humble and kind. They are
non secular, and do not follow after religious idols and things. There is
a huge difference between what the true church believes and what they
believe. But you must judge them by their works, their ways, and their deeds.
The basic principle of Christianity is to do good towards your brothers and sisters, and not be lovers of the world. We must follow God and not man.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 7:05:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If atheists have a problem with Christians, it is probably because they make topics like this.

Most atheists, as far as I know, only have an issue when Christians attempt to put their religion into law, or push their beliefs, which they consider to be delusional and borderline retarded, onto them.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 7:36:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 7:05:51 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If atheists have a problem with Christians, it is probably because they make topics like this.

Most atheists, as far as I know, only have an issue when Christians attempt to put their religion into law, or push their beliefs, which they consider to be delusional and borderline retarded, onto them.

Most Christians are pretty much harmless. This one is a fu@#ing nutcase!
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 7:44:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Oftentimes, religious people do good deeds due to a fear of eternal damnation. Atheists, on the other hand, can do good deeds without such fears. I think that says alot.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 7:55:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 7:36:46 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Most Christians are pretty much harmless. This one is a fu@#ing nutcase!


Obvious troll is obvious.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 8:04:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Pamela M Foreman Address: 15828 Hampton Village Dr Location: Tampa, FL 33618-1654 Phone: 813-908-2330
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 10:02:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Some do. But be aware... I don't. Which means that I rape dogs, steal from the blind, eat dead babies (only when they are murdered by my own hands) and piss on graves. Oh, and I support all forms of genocide, rape, torture and theft. Why? Because it's fun!
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 10:34:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 8:04:07 PM, askbob wrote:
Pamela M Foreman Address: 15828 Hampton Village Dr Location: Tampa, FL 33618-1654 Phone: 813-908-2330

Askbob is awesome.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 11:15:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
I am wondering about this. I have never seen so many vile, disrespectful,
and shameless acts. They talk about Christians as if they are the ones
causing the worlds problems. Keep in mind, that everyone who cries, Lord
Lord, is not of God. You have your false prophets, hypocrties, and war mongers.
They are the ones who are misrepresenting religion, and the Church Of God.
The Klan, the Taliban, Alqeda, Freemasons. They are not the ones who are
representing Christianity. This needs to be corrected. But back to the subject
here today. Do Atheists have morals ? If so, then where do they come from.
You dont seem to mind taking pride in doing wrong.

So real Christians are only the ones that live up to YOUR standards? Ok....

Atheists have morals based different things. Take Annhasle for example, a moral nihilist. She bases things as moral and immoral on a gain/loss scale. (correct me if I'm wrong Ann). I for one judge things as moral if they help people in any way, things that are immoral are the things that hurt others. If an action both hurts and helps, whichever I think it does more of is the deciding factor. But that is just my opinion. I think atheists are more moral then Christians because if they are moral by anyone's standards it is because they choose to be and not because they want to get into heaven or escape hell.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 11:20:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 11:15:56 PM, rogue wrote:
At 3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
Atheists have morals based different things. Take Annhasle for example, a moral nihilist. She bases things as moral and immoral on a gain/loss scale. (correct me if I'm wrong Ann).

No, I base things on being beneficial or detrimental. I never make ethical assertions.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Spaztoid
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 1:23:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do people post things like this? In either direction, why?

Morals, despite religious doctrine, are not derived from religion although they can be passed through it. Morals are, historically (or evolutionarily if you'd prefer), derived from human interactions. Most people have certain inherent codes of conduct that are simply the result of genetic programming which allows humans to be the social beings that we are. These "inherent" morals however, are fairly limited and are very adaptable to cultural and social norms. This is where religion and like social constructs come in to play. Through interaction, other more specific or even contradictory morals can be introduced into an individual.

Finally, there are of course individual morals which are seemingly random assertions of morality. Most often, this simply manifests in an individual placing more importance upon a single moral issue, however it does also lead to very abnormal behaviors.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 5:35:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
I am wondering about this. I have never seen so many vile, disrespectful,
and shameless acts. They talk about Christians as if they are the ones
causing the worlds problems. Keep in mind, that everyone who cries, Lord
Lord, is not of God. You have your false prophets, hypocrties, and war mongers.
They are the ones who are misrepresenting religion, and the Church Of God.
The Klan, the Taliban, Alqeda, Freemasons. They are not the ones who are
representing Christianity. This needs to be corrected. But back to the subject
here today. Do Atheists have morals ? If so, then where do they come from.
You dont seem to mind taking pride in doing wrong.

EVERYONE has morals; they are a free gift from God.. but since The Fall we are double minded (we doubt) and so can choose this fallen nature (because it's EASIER) over our consciences.. In extreme situations, such as war or prison, a person can descend into evil practices, such as rape and torture, remarkably quickly..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 5:48:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
Do Atheists have morals ? If so, then where do they come from.
You dont seem to mind taking pride in doing wrong.

Atheists get morals from the same place that Christians do.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 5:51:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 5:48:08 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
Do Atheists have morals ? If so, then where do they come from.
You dont seem to mind taking pride in doing wrong.

Atheists get morals from the same place that Christians do.

That's right; God!
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 5:56:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/15/2011 5:51:08 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 3/15/2011 5:48:08 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
Do Atheists have morals ? If so, then where do they come from.
You dont seem to mind taking pride in doing wrong.

Atheists get morals from the same place that Christians do.

That's right; God!

No, socialisation. You are a Biblical literalist, you have no right to talk about morality. Your code is about laws and punishment, not right and shame.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 1:48:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Lolwut?

At 3/14/2011 6:22:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
I am wondering about this. I have never seen so many vile, disrespectful,
and shameless acts.

You need to study the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition (for Christians...) and then look to pretty much every act of terrorism ever perpetrated... did you know it was actually the Jews who started terrorism?

They talk about Christians as if they are the ones
causing the worlds problems.

Well it's not *just* Christians, but they are in fact a large contributor...

Keep in mind, that everyone who cries, Lord
Lord, is not of God. You have your false prophets, hypocrties, and war mongers.
They are the ones who are misrepresenting religion, and the Church Of God.
The Klan, the Taliban, Alqeda, Freemasons. They are not the ones who are
representing Christianity. This needs to be corrected. But back to the subject
here today.

Nice tangent... actually I agree for the most part o.0

Do Atheists have morals ?

If an atheist can distinguish right from wrong, they certainly have morals...

If so, then where do they come from.

Obviously not from God, but the more interesting thing is that Christian "morals" aside from things like "keep holy the sabbath" and "have no other gods" don't actually come from God either. Christianity has simply co-opted moral precepts that are (arguably) simply an evolutionary product of being human.

Not to say that morality as an evolutionary product devalues moral codes, but rather that religions simply supplement something that is already there. A reinforcement mechanism if you will.

You dont seem to mind taking pride in doing wrong.

Except to an atheist, not following God is not "wrong." An authoritative account of morality (like most religions') is almost certainly incorrect. The best theories, IMO, for objective morality are intuitionalism or a convergence theory. But I think both of those are much less compelling than non-cognitive accounts of morality (particularly prescriptive utilitarianism).
Heathen
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 10:43:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
For the most part, most of the Atheists that I have met that disrespect religion and believers and whatnot, do so just for attention, they want to get that shock reaction out of people.

I know because I used to be that way (not with Atheism but Paganism) but now I've calmed down a bit and dont really attack Christianity as i used to do.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 8:59:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 10:43:02 AM, Heathen wrote:
For the most part, most of the Atheists that I have met that disrespect religion and believers and whatnot, do so just for attention, they want to get that shock reaction out of people.

Why do you think you know their motivations so well? That is certainly not why I disrespect them. I realize that I do not understand others completely so I refrain for making those judgments.

I know because I used to be that way (not with Atheism but Paganism) but now I've calmed down a bit and dont really attack Christianity as i used to do.