Jump to topic:

The King James Translation

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 9:41:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is the only real correct English translation of the bible, all others were done by communists.

It is sacred and holy, I would know. This site told me so

http://revelation13.net...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 2:37:56 AM
Mormons still heavily use it because Joseph Smith was a cool guy like that. And die hard catholics.

It's easily the best translation from a literary perspective too, imo.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 5:31:01 AM
At 3/15/2011 9:41:10 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Is the only real correct English translation of the bible, all others were done by communists.

I'm an NIV man myself, which is by no means perfect.. but perhaps there is a reason why there is NO perfect translation; it prevents us from worshipping the text rather than The One who Inspired it!

If nothing else, then the King James (or Authorised Version) is useful in that it allows us to see how much the English language has been corrupted in a few short centuries.. many words now have exactly the opposite meaning to then!

AGAIN Orwell was right on the money when he showed (in Nineteen Eightyfour) that the destruction of language is itself a tool of tyranny.
The Cross.. the Cross.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 5:46:46 AM
At 3/16/2011 5:31:01 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

AGAIN Orwell was right on the money when he showed (in Nineteen Eightyfour) that the destruction of language is itself a tool of tyranny.

Narrow the language, narrow the mind.
Excellent post there DATC.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 5:52:33 AM
At 3/16/2011 5:46:46 AM, tvellalott wrote:

Thanks.. It's also a case of making up new words (Newspeak) that do not have the same connotations as the original, better words..
The Cross.. the Cross.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 6:05:09 AM
At 3/15/2011 9:41:10 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I'm an NIV man myself, which is by no means perfect.. but perhaps there is a reason why there is NO perfect translation; it prevents us from worshipping the text rather than The One who Inspired it!

If nothing else, then the King James (or Authorised Version) is useful in that it allows us to see how much the English language has been corrupted in a few short centuries.. many words now have exactly the opposite meaning to then!

One of your better posts.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 10:17:08 AM
The King James is in Ye Old English. It only seems beautifully written because you like the way the language sounded and looked back then. XP
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 10:20:33 AM
At 3/16/2011 10:17:08 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
The King James is in Ye Old English. It only seems beautifully written because you like the way the language sounded and looked back then. XP

Yes. I look at the romantic period of art and I think those paintings look beautiful, but thats just how they were painted back then. You seem to be implying that because it was written in the standard writing style it somehow diminishes its literary qualities. If not, sorry.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 10:25:22 AM
At 3/16/2011 10:20:33 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/16/2011 10:17:08 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Yes. I look at the romantic period of art and I think those paintings look beautiful, but thats just how they were painted back then. You seem to be implying that because it was written in the standard writing style it somehow diminishes its literary qualities. If not, sorry.

Oh nah.

Shakespeare(Assuming he is the real author of course) was the Dr. Seuss of his day. He practically made up every other word he used.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 10:30:27 AM

Oh boy, something tyrannical is definitely going on today.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 10:41:06 AM
At 3/16/2011 10:30:27 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Oh boy, something tyrannical is definitely going on today.

Freedom of speech you mean? that's always tyranny to tyrants!
The Cross.. the Cross.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 7:51:48 PM
No, understand that people today have a very shallow understanding of linguistics.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 6:00:52 AM
At 3/16/2011 7:51:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
No, understand that people today have a very shallow understanding of linguistics.

If only there were a few MORE Orwells around!
The Cross.. the Cross.