Jump to topic:

Religion In Britain

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 2:08:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
According to a new survey done in Britain, "[t]wo-thirds of Britons not religious."

I wasn't particularly surprised by the results, but one thing did stick out.

"Among respondents who identified themselves as Christian, fewer than half said they believed Jesus Christ was a real person who died, came back to life and was the son of God.

Another 27% said they did not believe that at all, while 25% were unsure."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

Is that really accurate? Of course, I don't see any particular reason to doubt the survey, though I would be curious about the methodology that was used to analyze and collect the results. For the people here that are British, does this generally correspond with your experience?
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 2:13:20 PM
religion is dying freeman. we've entered the age of enlightenment. a technological enlightenment is what it is. we'll never kill them damn muslims with their orgy religion though. i wouldn't give it up either.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 2:16:35 PM
At 3/22/2011 2:13:20 PM, badger wrote:
religion is dying freeman. we've entered the age of enlightenment. a technological enlightenment is what it is. we'll never kill them damn muslims with their orgy religion though. i wouldn't give it up either.

an age i suppose i should've said.

religion will do well to survive another 3 generations in ireland i think.
signature
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 2:31:45 PM
At 3/22/2011 2:08:08 PM, Freeman wrote:
According to a new survey done in Britain, "[t]wo-thirds of Britons not religious."

"Among respondents who identified themselves as Christian, fewer than half said they believed Jesus Christ was a real person who died, came back to life and was the son of God.

Is that really accurate? Of course, I don't see any particular reason to doubt the survey, though I would be curious about the methodology that was used to analyze and collect the results. For the people here that are British, does this generally correspond with your experience?

Unfortunatley, I think most people are not religious not for intellectual reasons, but due to apathy.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 4:21:26 PM
It seems intuitive to me that religion would be waning in Europe over all. I would imagine that Europeans can't help but to be more conscious of the dark histrory of Christianty than North Americans.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 4:37:07 PM

So then they aren't Christians right? Isn't that belief the defining factor for being called Christian?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 4:39:39 PM
At 3/22/2011 4:37:07 PM, lewis20 wrote:

So then they aren't Christians right? Isn't that belief the defining factor for being called Christian?

To some.

Which is why you might be a Christian to one person, but to another, you might not be.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 4:51:17 PM
At 3/22/2011 4:49:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Lol, how could you even call yourself Christian?

The word has way too much baggage tied to it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 4:59:09 PM
At 3/22/2011 4:39:39 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

To some.

Which is why you might be a Christian to one person, but to another, you might not be.

The very word Christian means someone who follows Christ, hard to see where you could say "to some"

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 5:10:21 PM
At 3/22/2011 4:59:09 PM, lewis20 wrote:

To some.

The very word Christian means someone who follows Christ, hard to see where you could say "to some"

Some Christians do not respect Christians who follow different denominations as being Christian. Some Christians do not accept another to be a Christian if they do not subscribe to a trinity doctrine.

I myself can't say I'm a Christian. I do not follow Jesus, though I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't at one point in my life follow the dude. I respect some of what he said, but he's very overrated.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 5:12:00 PM
At 3/22/2011 5:10:21 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

To some.

Some Christians do not respect Christians who follow different denominations as being Christian. Some Christians do not accept another to be a Christian if they do not subscribe to a trinity doctrine.

I myself can't say I'm a Christian. I do not follow Jesus, though I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't at one point in my life follow the dude. I respect some of what he said, but he's very overrated.

A Matthew 5-7 Christian?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 5:14:06 PM

To some.

You are way off on a tangent.
"Among respondents who identified themselves as Christian, fewer than half said they believed Jesus Christ was a real person who died, came back to life and was the son of God"
I'm saying the very definition of Christian is someone who believes in Christ, I don't see how someone can claim they are Christian and say they don't believe Jesus Christ was a real person.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 5:51:59 AM

It sounds about right to me.. but I'm waiting on the Lord who has promised to 'pour out His Spirit' in the last days; Get ready for REVIIIIIIIIII-VAL!
The Cross.. the Cross.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 11:58:14 AM
At 3/22/2011 5:14:06 PM, lewis20 wrote:

To some.

"Among respondents who identified themselves as Christian, fewer than half said they believed Jesus Christ was a real person who died, came back to life and was the son of God"
I'm saying the very definition of Christian is someone who believes in Christ, I don't see how someone can claim they are Christian and say they don't believe Jesus Christ was a real person.

It's very simple.

Ideas stand on their own. If you believe in the ideas that are attributed to what you consider to be a fictional character.. Hey, it might be a stretch, but you could still say you are a Christian.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:23:31 PM
At 3/23/2011 11:58:14 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/22/2011 5:14:06 PM, lewis20 wrote:

To some.

It's very simple.

Ideas stand on their own. If you believe in the ideas that are attributed to what you consider to be a fictional character.. Hey, it might be a stretch, but you could still say you are a Christian.

No actually, a Christian is someone who believes Christ is the son of God. There aren't any stretches to be made, thats the textbook definition

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 7:05:39 PM
At 3/23/2011 1:23:31 PM, lewis20 wrote:
No actually, a Christian is someone who believes Christ is the son of God. There aren't any stretches to be made, thats the textbook definition
Which text are you referring to? One author gives x criteria for being a follower of Christ (peace be upon him), another brings up various new and perhaps even contradictory points, and various versions of the text twist the words so that they become either meaningless or inherently contradictory that you are almost obliged to make up your own criteria for being a Christian. Where is a clear cut message?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 10:14:26 PM
At 3/23/2011 7:05:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
Which text are you referring to? One author gives x criteria for being a follower of Christ (peace be upon him), another brings up various new and perhaps even contradictory points, and various versions of the text twist the words so that they become either meaningless or inherently contradictory that you are almost obliged to make up your own criteria for being a Christian. Where is a clear cut message?

What are you talking about.
Merriam Webster says a Christian is one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 6:22:51 AM

At 3/23/2011 10:14:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Merriam Webster says a Christian is one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

Hey Lewis, you seem to think that all the varying deinitions you've provided above mean the same thing, but you're actually making subtle distinctions yourself in your various posts here.

I would say there are three main definitions of being Christian, none neccesarilly more valid than the other.

A narrow definition would be someone who is a member of a congregation within a recognised Christian denomination. This could apply whatever their actual beliefs are.

An individual definition would be someone who accepts Christ as their personal saviour, believes he was the son of God etc. even if they don't fit within a specific denomination.

A broader definition would be anyne who follows the principle teachings of Jesus, whether or not they accept him as the son of God, or believe in the resurrection etc. This definition could potentially include atheists, Muslims, rastas etc.

As for Britain, the figures quoted are interesting but not really surprising. In my area there are a lot more Muslims than Christians, especially if one only counts those who actively practice their faith, rather than merely professing it. Most of my friends aren't religious.