Jump to topic:

Things that exist without a cause, eg God

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:15:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In classic theism God does not have a cause.

Why can only "God" be the only thing that exists uncaused, why can't there be other things that exist without a cause ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:19:35 PM
At 3/22/2011 10:15:20 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Why can only "God" be the only thing that exists uncaused, why can't there be other things that exist without a cause ?

There can be, who argues otherwise?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:27:20 PM

No one ever said there can't other things without causes.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:30:37 PM

The argument is that God is uncaused, they don't say ONLY God is uncaused.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:35:58 PM
At 3/22/2011 10:27:20 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

No one ever said there can't be other things without causes.

Fix'd
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:46:21 PM
At 3/22/2011 10:35:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 3/22/2011 10:27:20 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

No one ever said there can't be other things without causes.

Fix'd

Wait, what?
Doesn't the Kalam Cosmological Argument say that the uncaused cause that transcends physical reality is God?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:49:52 PM

The cosmological argument does not state that god can be the only thing without a cause. In fact one of the most popular arguments against the cosmological argument is that time and space are constructs of the universe itself. Therefore, for the same reason god does not need a cause, the universe does not need a cause.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 10:57:31 PM
The real question is:
"Why does anyone think that there is a Conscious, Benevolent, all-powerful, uncaused thing which caused the world"

and the answer is they're desperate nihilists looking for something to give themselves up to so they latch onto the idea of a "super" version of themselves whom they can imagine they please in their self-rejection... b/c they know that simply rejecting themselves, as they're wont to do, is on it's own simply sad...

of course, giving yourself up to "god" is at least as sad... but, in their delusions they might kind of get around being conscious of That!..

They just have to deal with the constant "struggle" that that self-rejection entails.. which they backwardsly describe as struggling with sin.. That is they struggle until they've completely stomped themselves dead and replaced themselves with their own Mock up of that delusion of "Most Omni-Perfectiness"
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 11:00:23 PM
At 3/22/2011 10:57:31 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
The real question is:
"Why does anyone think that there is a Conscious, Benevolent, all-powerful, uncaused thing which caused the world"

and the answer is they're desperate nihilists looking for something to give themselves up to so they latch onto the idea of a "super" version of themselves whom they can imagine they please in their self-rejection... b/c they know that simply rejecting themselves, as they're wont to do, is on it's own simply sad...

of course, giving yourself up to "god" is at least as sad... but, in their delusions they might kind of get around being conscious of That!..

They just have to deal with the constant "struggle" that that self-rejection entails.. which they backwardsly describe as struggling with sin.. That is they struggle until they've completely stomped themselves dead and replaced themselves with their own Mock up of that delusion of "Most Omni-Perfectiness"

LOL
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:17:38 AM
So is their anyone who thinks ONLY God is uncaused ? and everything else is caused ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Jay_Walk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:40:06 AM
At 3/23/2011 12:17:38 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
So is their anyone who thinks ONLY God is uncaused ? and everything else is caused ?

What do you believe is uncaused?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:50:52 AM

If anything else is uncaused, than it's hardly an attribute worth attributing to God.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 4:54:20 AM

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Classical religious philosophers would have said so...

but I guess it's been dropped.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 4:56:01 AM
At 3/23/2011 4:54:20 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Classical religious philosophers would have said so...

or PCP's just dropped it :/

who knows!? not Me!

Metaphysics:
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 5:54:13 AM

A cause, or a 'before', denotes time; time is an invention of Gods Who exists eternally, outside of His creation which includes time..
The Cross.. the Cross.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 8:20:31 AM
At 3/23/2011 4:56:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

who knows!? not Me!

I've never held that position in the first place and neither have many classical religious philosophers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 8:37:10 AM
At 3/22/2011 10:30:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

The argument is that God is uncaused, they don't say ONLY God is uncaused.

...amm, isn't the argument that the universe must've had a cause and then an uncaused god is posited? lol only god can be uncaused! by the argument anyway.. and the universe isn't god! also by the argument..

what argument?
signature
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 8:40:08 AM
At 3/23/2011 8:20:31 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 3/23/2011 4:56:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

who knows!? not Me!

I've never held that position in the first place and neither have many classical religious philosophers so I have no idea what you are talking about.

I didn't mean that you held it.. I mean that They did...

and that you, and others, who follow in their footsteps, don't carry it anymore..

and.. I was under the impression that Christianity itself suggests that God created ALL things.. and was the Sole uncaused thing...

and it seems that most platonic religious philosophers, from Maimonides to Augustine, were trying to support the same notion of a Single, Most-Existent, thing which causes All others.

Though I suppose several may have ignored refuting the possibility for Other uncaused things... I'm fairly sure at least some of them claimed that God was the Only uncaused, and Only necessary being.

Metaphysics:
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 8:45:43 AM

unmoved mover theory
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 8:49:33 AM
Aristotle's argument, in Metaphysics Book XII for the existence of the unmoved mover progresses as follows:

1. There exists movement in the world.
2. Things that move were set into motion by something else.
3. If everything that moves were caused to move by something else, there would be an infinite chain of causes. This can't happen.
4. Thus, there must have been something that caused the first movement.
5. From 3, this first cause cannot itself have been moved.
6. From 4, there must be an unmoved mover.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 8:51:21 AM
At 3/23/2011 8:49:33 AM, askbob wrote:
Aristotle's argument, in Metaphysics Book XII for the existence of the unmoved mover progresses as follows:

1. There exists movement in the world.
2. Things that move were set into motion by something else.
3. If everything that moves were caused to move by something else, there would be an infinite chain of causes. This can't happen.
4. Thus, there must have been something that caused the first movement.
5. From 3, this first cause cannot itself have been moved.
6. From 4, there must be an unmoved mover.

Why can't we have an infinite chain of causes?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 8:52:56 AM
At 3/23/2011 8:40:08 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I'm fairly sure at least some of them claimed that God was the Only uncaused, and Only necessary being.

like Augustine Saying that ALL is of the Good.

there's no possibility of Evil being a thing of itself.. b/c All is of God...

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:09:37 AM
At 3/23/2011 8:52:56 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/23/2011 8:40:08 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I'm fairly sure at least some of them claimed that God was the Only uncaused, and Only necessary being.

like Augustine Saying that ALL is of the Good.

there's no possibility of Evil being a thing of itself.. b/c All is of God...

From what I can tell his rejection of Manicheism relied completely on rejecting the idea of Multiple uncaused things.

it relied on borrowing plotinus' idea of The One

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:20:42 AM
At 3/23/2011 9:09:37 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
it relied on borrowing plotinus' idea of The One

and calling it "god"

Metaphysics:
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:27:23 AM
At 3/23/2011 8:51:21 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

Beginning ------------------------Infinity --------------------------- Present Day

Starting at the beginning it would then be impossible to arrive at present day.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:30:26 AM

Response: Simply for the same reasons why dogs can't fly. You can not be or do what is not in your nature or ability to be or do. Allah(God) is the only uncreated....period. There is no reason for it. It's how it is. As such, no other thing can exist without cause but can only exist due to cause except Allah.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:35:55 AM
At 3/23/2011 9:27:23 AM, askbob wrote:

Beginning ------------------------Infinity --------------------------- Present Day

But that makes the assumption that there was a beggining. I see what you are getting at but I want to know why, and that doesn't adequately explain it.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:43:32 AM
At 3/23/2011 9:27:23 AM, askbob wrote:

how about this:

Infinity (Present/past/future in all their infinite relations All together)

Metaphysics:
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:51:59 AM
- is the past, which keeps regressing infinitely (-1,-2,-3 etc)
0 is the present
+ is the future (1,2,3)

-----------------------------------------------0+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:52:16 AM
At 3/22/2011 10:46:21 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Doesn't the Kalam Cosmological Argument say that the uncaused cause that transcends physical reality is God?

It notes that there has to be an uncaused causal agent, that is all. If you want to see a full argument for God which includes being specific right to Christianity then William Craig makes such an argument. He starts with the Kalam and carries through arguing for omni-excellent via other argument and ends with Jesus as a divine historical event/figure.