Total Posts:80|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do you get tired talking about religion ?

interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:11:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes or no. This is an interesting question because it seems to be the most
popular or one of the most popular subjects on every single online forum.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:20:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:11:50 PM, interrogator wrote:
Yes or no. This is an interesting question because it seems to be the most
popular or one of the most popular subjects on every single online forum.

Nope. Religion continues to greatly effect most people on the planet so I am still interested in talking or debating about it.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:24:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Religion. Something that influences everyone across the world at a personal, social, and political level and brings us face to face with some of the biggest questions of existence.

Nope. Doesn't get old.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:27:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes.

I then go to the other forums, and then get tired of talking about philosophy or politics. Once that happens, I come back to the religion forum, ready for more.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:29:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:11:50 PM, interrogator wrote:
Yes or no. This is an interesting question because it seems to be the most
popular or one of the most popular subjects on every single online forum.

I wish we humans could get to a state where we just admit that religion is nonsense so we can move on to better things. Until then, it is in our interest to challenge religion. I have always had an interest in psychosis so talking religion is interesting in itself.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:30:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A more appropriate question would be, does anyone ever get tired of having religious or atheistic circle jerks?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:32:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:29:14 PM, badger wrote:
i like to visit the retarded every now and again.

You're having visits with yourself now? :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:34:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:30:37 PM, OreEle wrote:
A more appropriate question would be, does anyone ever get tired of having religious or atheistic circle jerks?

D=
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:36:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
And if you are an atheist...............Then why in the world does this even matter
to you in the first place.

I just explained it to you. Go back and read my post.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:36:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
And if you are an atheist...............Then why in the world does this even matter
to you in the first place.

Because religion affects everybody -- regardless of their religious affiliation. In the US, religion affects politics which then influences policies and enforcement -- as an atheist, I'm still prosecuted by these laws. Religion affects societal perspectives and opinions -- this will affect my daily life since I'm still confronted and judged by these attitudes. Religion affects so much more which inevitably has effect on my life, even as an atheist.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:36:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
And if you are an atheist...............Then why in the world does this even matter
to you in the first place.

Because religion affects everybody -- regardless of their religious affiliation. In the US, religion affects politics which then influences policies and enforcement -- as an atheist, I'm still prosecuted by these laws. Religion affects societal perspectives and opinions -- this will affect my daily life since I'm still confronted and judged by these attitudes. Religion affects so much more which inevitably has effect on my life, even as an atheist.

This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life. Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:44:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm tired of talking about religion. I hate that is has to be a huge part of my life and I don't even ascribe to one. If I never had to talk about it again, I'd be content.
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:45:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ann. Then maybe it is time you started to realize that religion is here for a
reason. It is to keep you on the straight and narrow path.
Or in other words, it helps you gain perspective on why we should follow
God for many legitimate reasons.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:46:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life. Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.

The right to an abortion, the right for gays to marry. If we're not all free, then none of us are.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:47:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
And if you are an atheist...............Then why in the world does this even matter
to you in the first place.

This question could be given a huge response.

A lot of people will argue that religion always threatens to impinge on our liberties; which is true. Then they may say that as long as they are left unmolested by religion they have no dispute with it. I would still be in conflict with it because the children (and the adults in many cases) are the defenceless victims of religion. If it is in our interests to protect children from religion then it is necessary to argue religion out of existence to the extent possible.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:49:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:36:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
And if you are an atheist...............Then why in the world does this even matter
to you in the first place.

Because religion affects everybody -- regardless of their religious affiliation. In the US, religion affects politics which then influences policies and enforcement -- as an atheist, I'm still prosecuted by these laws. Religion affects societal perspectives and opinions -- this will affect my daily life since I'm still confronted and judged by these attitudes. Religion affects so much more which inevitably has effect on my life, even as an atheist.

This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life.

Religion inevitably affects the perspective and opinions of those who follow it. You should know this.

Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.

Some might find drug use to be despicable and a gateway to serious crime -- which they would oppose for religious reasons.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:50:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:45:31 PM, interrogator wrote:
Ann. Then maybe it is time you started to realize that religion is here for a
reason. It is to keep you on the straight and narrow path.
Or in other words, it helps you gain perspective on why we should follow
God for many legitimate reasons.

I enjoy my life more as an atheist than I did when I was a theist.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:51:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:46:02 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life. Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.

The right to an abortion,

Right to life is not a religious concept. At least I don't believe it is.

the right for gays to marry.

seperation of church and state. The government should get out of marriage all together.

If we're not all free, then none of us are.

total freedom is an overrated buzz phrase.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:59:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:49:34 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:36:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
And if you are an atheist...............Then why in the world does this even matter
to you in the first place.

Because religion affects everybody -- regardless of their religious affiliation. In the US, religion affects politics which then influences policies and enforcement -- as an atheist, I'm still prosecuted by these laws. Religion affects societal perspectives and opinions -- this will affect my daily life since I'm still confronted and judged by these attitudes. Religion affects so much more which inevitably has effect on my life, even as an atheist.

This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life.

Religion inevitably affects the perspective and opinions of those who follow it. You should know this.

I agree, but this is besides the point. Religion has never prevented me from doing something directly or indirectly.

I have never said to myself "I can't do x because of those damn religious fundamentalists." Have you?

Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.

Some might find drug use to be despicable and a gateway to serious crime -- which they would oppose for religious reasons.

Sure, some might hold that view, but nobody in government has made drugs illegal for religious reasons, they do it for political and economic reasons.

IN FACT, religion has actually enabled people to do certain drugs legally as a loophole! For example, Native American religion enables people to do peyote without consequence. And Cantheism let's people do marijuana without consequence. Hopefully, more legislation passes and let's other religions, especially from the East, to enable psychedelics to be practiced legally.

So at this point, religion can actually enable me rather than disable me from a legislative standpoint.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:09:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:59:24 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:49:34 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:36:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life.

Religion inevitably affects the perspective and opinions of those who follow it. You should know this.

I agree, but this is besides the point. Religion has never prevented me from doing something directly or indirectly.

It has prevented me and my friends. My friend cannot marry her girlfriend because of religious fundamentalists. My other friend and even patients can no longer receive abortions paid by the state like before because of religious fundamentalists. I can no longer go through an airport without being groped or x-rayed because of religious fundamentalists. The list goes on...

I have never said to myself "I can't do x because of those damn religious fundamentalists." Have you?

Yes, I have.

Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.

Some might find drug use to be despicable and a gateway to serious crime -- which they would oppose for religious reasons.

Sure, some might hold that view, but nobody in government has made drugs illegal for religious reasons, they do it for political and economic reasons.

Are you sure? My grandparents are against drug use since it enhances the chances of immoral actions.

IN FACT, religion has actually enabled people to do certain drugs legally as a loophole! For example, Native American religion enables people to do peyote without consequence. And Cantheism let's people do marijuana without consequence. Hopefully, more legislation passes and let's other religions, especially from the East, to enable psychedelics to be practiced legally.

Yes, I know this. Hell, some religious groups have called the War on Drugs immoral: http://abcnews.go.com...! But that merely shows that religious people disagree -- which we are both aware of. I'm simply asserting that religious groups and individuals can and will be affected by their Holy Texts and "religious laws".

So at this point, religion can actually enable me rather than disable me from a legislative standpoint.

In regards to drugs, possibly.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:12:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ann. Much of the things you talk about are just neutral. It has nothing to do
with religion when you are at an airport being groped. It has to do with
what it right and what it wrong. Religion is just an institution. Laws that are
made by God, it is beyond the ideology that Man has created. You must
understand that religion in itself is irrelevent.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:15:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 1:12:21 PM, interrogator wrote:
Ann. Much of the things you talk about are just neutral. It has nothing to do
with religion when you are at an airport being groped.

Lol, and the thousands of people freaking out about an Islamic jihad on the American people is not caused by religion?

It has to do with
what it right and what it wrong.

I don't believe in "right" and "wrong".

Religion is just an institution. Laws that are
made by God, it is beyond the ideology that Man has created. You must
understand that religion in itself is irrelevent.

God is irrelevant. :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:15:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 1:09:07 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:59:24 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:49:34 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:36:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life.

Religion inevitably affects the perspective and opinions of those who follow it. You should know this.

I agree, but this is besides the point. Religion has never prevented me from doing something directly or indirectly.

It has prevented me and my friends. My friend cannot marry her girlfriend because of religious fundamentalists. My other friend and even patients can no longer receive abortions paid by the state like before because of religious fundamentalists. I can no longer go through an airport without being groped or x-rayed because of religious fundamentalists. The list goes on...

I have never said to myself "I can't do x because of those damn religious fundamentalists." Have you?

Yes, I have.

Then you are lying to yourself.

Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.

Some might find drug use to be despicable and a gateway to serious crime -- which they would oppose for religious reasons.

Sure, some might hold that view, but nobody in government has made drugs illegal for religious reasons, they do it for political and economic reasons.

Are you sure? My grandparents are against drug use since it enhances the chances of immoral actions.

Thats a moral arguement, not a religious one.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:17:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 1:15:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 1:09:07 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:59:24 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:49:34 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:36:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life.

Religion inevitably affects the perspective and opinions of those who follow it. You should know this.

I agree, but this is besides the point. Religion has never prevented me from doing something directly or indirectly.

It has prevented me and my friends. My friend cannot marry her girlfriend because of religious fundamentalists. My other friend and even patients can no longer receive abortions paid by the state like before because of religious fundamentalists. I can no longer go through an airport without being groped or x-rayed because of religious fundamentalists. The list goes on...

I have never said to myself "I can't do x because of those damn religious fundamentalists." Have you?

Yes, I have.

Then you are lying to yourself.

How so?

Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.

Some might find drug use to be despicable and a gateway to serious crime -- which they would oppose for religious reasons.

Sure, some might hold that view, but nobody in government has made drugs illegal for religious reasons, they do it for political and economic reasons.

Are you sure? My grandparents are against drug use since it enhances the chances of immoral actions.

Thats a moral arguement, not a religious one.

Immoral = against biblical law

They are devout Catholics.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:22:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 1:17:31 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 1:15:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 1:09:07 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:59:24 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:49:34 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:41:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:36:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:32:51 PM, interrogator wrote:
This may be one of the more popular reasons among Atheists, but it's not one of mine. I can't think of any legislation inspired by religion that has gotten in the way of my life.

Religion inevitably affects the perspective and opinions of those who follow it. You should know this.

I agree, but this is besides the point. Religion has never prevented me from doing something directly or indirectly.

It has prevented me and my friends. My friend cannot marry her girlfriend because of religious fundamentalists. My other friend and even patients can no longer receive abortions paid by the state like before because of religious fundamentalists. I can no longer go through an airport without being groped or x-rayed because of religious fundamentalists. The list goes on...

I have never said to myself "I can't do x because of those damn religious fundamentalists." Have you?

Yes, I have.

Then you are lying to yourself.

How so?

First off, you claim not to care what others think and do things anyway. Second, the number of "religious fundementalists" is rather small compared to the entire population, and so isn't able to effect large scale laws.


Unless drugs are illegal for religious reasons, well then maybe I am affected, however I doubt that is the case.

Some might find drug use to be despicable and a gateway to serious crime -- which they would oppose for religious reasons.

Sure, some might hold that view, but nobody in government has made drugs illegal for religious reasons, they do it for political and economic reasons.

Are you sure? My grandparents are against drug use since it enhances the chances of immoral actions.

Thats a moral arguement, not a religious one.

Immoral = against biblical law

They are devout Catholics.

If they are really devout Catholics, then they would also believe in forgiveness as they should believe that everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and that God forgives everyone that asks for it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:26:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ann. So what if they are Catholics. It does not matter. Wrong is wrong.
And even in some cultures were religion is not an issue or priority, your
lifestyle is considered to be just that. And it is very self destructive, which is
why you feel this burden and this internal conflict as you do right now.
You are looking to the wrong people and things to try and deal with the unresolved issues
that are inside of you. But this has nothing to do with religion.
AND this Jihad you are speaking of, it is nothing. The government is using
religion and propaganda. But the Christian church could care less about
that stuff.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:27:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 1:22:10 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 1:17:31 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 1:15:43 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 1:09:07 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:59:24 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/23/2011 12:49:34 PM, annhasle wrote:
Then you are lying to yourself.

How so?

First off, you claim not to care what others think and do things anyway.

Unless it will lead me to forfeit all freedom by being incarcerated.

Second, the number of "religious fundementalists" is rather small compared to the entire population, and so isn't able to effect large scale laws.

And yet I can still be affected by them. Look, I'm not arguing that all religious people are fundamentalists -- I'm asserting that religious laws and ideals affect the perspectives and opinions of those who follow it. And those attitudes are undoubtedly in Congress.

Immoral = against biblical law

They are devout Catholics.

If they are really devout Catholics, then they would also believe in forgiveness as they should believe that everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and that God forgives everyone that asks for it.

Yes, they do believe in forgiveness -- they pray for it every night at dinner, no less. But they also believe that its their responsibility to guide the weak and the sinners so they do not commit crimes against the word of the Lord and what He commands for all. They do so by supporting legislation which follows biblical opinion.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.