Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

80 percent of humans believe in a deity ?

interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 3:16:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So where do you Atheists come in. Every day people are being converted
and turning to religion for answers. They do not wish to follow secualristic
teachings, because it leaves them searching for more. Not to mention the ones
who are already empty. Anyway, there are over 2.1 billion Christians on
planet Earth today. And the second highest religious group are Muslims.
Most of the countries who dont believe in God, are usually 'communist' countries
where people are being controlled overwhelmingly by their own leaders through
rebelliousness and idolatry. They are the ones who want to be praised.
Hmmm. Which explains their disdain for religious institutions and why they have such a
religious intolerance in the first place. Now why is that ? Hmmm.
You tell me. Most humans believe in a deity and they are going by instinct.
So what is your excuse.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 3:27:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just because our monkey brains can come up with questions, doesn't mean there are answers.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 3:28:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Buddhism has about 1 billion people and is the fourth largest religion in the world. They are all Atheists (or at least should be according to scripture) so add 1 billion more Atheists to that number.

Plus Jainism and Taoism holds quite a large number of people. They are also Atheists. So add about 1,000,000 more people to that number.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 3:43:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 3:40:54 PM, interrogator wrote:
Buddhist believe in a deity son. Get it right.

You wouldn't know a Buddhist monk from a punk rocker.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 3:52:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If there was an all-powerful god he would make his presence felt and his power unambiguous, and 100% of people would not "believe in a deity" but would, instead, know with certainty that one existed.

The fact that the majority of humans choose to reconcile their mortality and lack of understanding of the universe around them by turning to religion doesn't mean the enlightened minority should discount sound scientific evidence and logical theories and allow religion to dictate the way they live their lives.

We are humans, not lemmings.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 3:57:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 3:52:50 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
We are humans, not lemmings.

Wait...but four and a half billion lemmings can't be wrong, can they?
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 4:01:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
2.1 billion people. Now you clearly do not think that all of these people are
being mislead. Of course not. Ha, ha, ha, ha.............
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 4:08:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 4:01:31 PM, interrogator wrote:
2.1 billion people. Now you clearly do not think that all of these people are
being mislead. Of course not. Ha, ha, ha, ha.............

Dude, you are really, really dumb. Argument ad populum. Showing that a belief is popular does not prove that the belief is true. Prior to Copernicus, most people thought the sun revolves around the earth.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 4:14:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 4:08:24 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 3/23/2011 4:01:31 PM, interrogator wrote:
2.1 billion people. Now you clearly do not think that all of these people are
being mislead. Of course not. Ha, ha, ha, ha.............

Dude, you are really, really dumb. Argument ad populum. Showing that a belief is popular does not prove that the belief is true. Prior to Copernicus, most people thought the sun revolves around the earth.

Furthermore, by ascribing to one set of religious beliefs, you reject another.
We're both saying that only the people who agree with us are right. Atheists/Agnostics just admit to not knowing.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 4:14:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 3:40:54 PM, interrogator wrote:
Buddhist believe in a deity son. Get it right.

You're an idiot.

the Buddha: "Thus you see, the thought of God is overthrown. ... Let us, then, surrender the heresies of worshiping God and praying to him." [Culla Vagga 6:2]
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 5:44:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
100% of dogs do not believe in God, or an afterlife, or a soul. Well, they must be right, since 100% is pretty much a majority! :)

Could it be that humans are just evolved creatures at a point where our complex brains became aware of our motality, death, wondered about deceased loved ones, and thus invested the notions of gods and the soul and an afterlife? Hmm?
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 8:25:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 4:18:29 PM, interrogator wrote:
TV. Different scenario kid. That does not apply here. 5000 years and counting.
God is still winning. Next.

ORLY?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 3:12:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 3:16:03 PM, interrogator wrote:
So where do you Atheists come in. Every day people are being converted
and turning to religion for answers. They do not wish to follow secualristic
teachings, because it leaves them searching for more. Not to mention the ones
who are already empty. Anyway, there are over 2.1 billion Christians on
planet Earth today. And the second highest religious group are Muslims.
Most of the countries who dont believe in God, are usually 'communist' countries
where people are being controlled overwhelmingly by their own leaders through
rebelliousness and idolatry. They are the ones who want to be praised.
Hmmm. Which explains their disdain for religious institutions and why they have such a
religious intolerance in the first place. Now why is that ? Hmmm.
You tell me. Most humans believe in a deity and they are going by instinct.
So what is your excuse.

Let me tell you my excuse.

Communistic countries almost always have a state religion, the difference between their religion and theirs is that theirs is not touted like some kind of weapon. North Korea, for instance, has religious roots in Budhism and Confucianism. Whereas China has made a point of saying that while it's popular Taoism is a religion, China itself considers it more of a cultural practice. As for religion in the state itself, China has a constitution that guarantees freedom of religion and after a massive investment in temples and other places of worship, the Chinese Government publically began to "view these religions as an integral part of Chinese culture"

http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org...

But what about genuinely atheistic countries? Well lets have a look.

http://www.atheistmind.com...

France, Denmark, Sweden, Czech Republic, Japan, hell the only possible Communist country on there is Vietnam, but oh, wait, hang on a second. in 2007 the Socialist Republic of Vietnam created a constitution and gave it's people religious freedom. Well drat.

One country. One atheistic country with a dodgy religious outlook. Kind of makes your argument look bad, huh?

Besides which, if you want to know my excuse, then my excuse is thus: All atheistic countries, even Vietnam to a certain degree, allow religious freedom. I mean TOTAL religious freedom. Yet people are bombed, beaten or stoned in the middle east for being Christian or Sikh, in America people are given guns and taught by their politicians that it's ok to hate the everloving sh*t out of the other guy, and in Africa women and albinos are stoned or burned for being witches.

My excuse is that atheism has never and will never be responsible for such atrocity, because atheism is the only belief that places responsibility on the shoulders of the person, rather than tell them that they can do the most horrendous things and then be forgiven if they pray a bit just before they die.

So considering that religion has and will always be used as a tool of control, a way for men in funny hats to tell you what they want you to and who they want you to hate, a way for politicians to make themselves more electable or less, and considering that every day more and more people suffer because of your god...what's your excuse, Interrogator?
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 3:41:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/24/2011 3:12:44 AM, Veridas wrote:
Let me tell you my excuse.

Communistic countries almost always have a state religion, the difference between their religion and theirs is that theirs is not touted like some kind of weapon. North Korea, for instance, has religious roots in Budhism and Confucianism. Whereas China has made a point of saying that while it's popular Taoism is a religion, China itself considers it more of a cultural practice. As for religion in the state itself, China has a constitution that guarantees freedom of religion and after a massive investment in temples and other places of worship, the Chinese Government publically began to "view these religions as an integral part of Chinese culture"

http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org...

But what about genuinely atheistic countries? Well lets have a look.

http://www.atheistmind.com...

France, Denmark, Sweden, Czech Republic, Japan, hell the only possible Communist country on there is Vietnam, but oh, wait, hang on a second. in 2007 the Socialist Republic of Vietnam created a constitution and gave it's people religious freedom. Well drat.

One country. One atheistic country with a dodgy religious outlook. Kind of makes your argument look bad, huh?

Besides which, if you want to know my excuse, then my excuse is thus: All atheistic countries, even Vietnam to a certain degree, allow religious freedom. I mean TOTAL religious freedom. Yet people are bombed, beaten or stoned in the middle east for being Christian or Sikh, in America people are given guns and taught by their politicians that it's ok to hate the everloving sh*t out of the other guy, and in Africa women and albinos are stoned or burned for being witches.

My excuse is that atheism has never and will never be responsible for such atrocity, because atheism is the only belief that places responsibility on the shoulders of the person, rather than tell them that they can do the most horrendous things and then be forgiven if they pray a bit just before they die.

So considering that religion has and will always be used as a tool of control, a way for men in funny hats to tell you what they want you to and who they want you to hate, a way for politicians to make themselves more electable or less, and considering that every day more and more people suffer because of your god...what's your excuse, Interrogator?

Wonderful post. I'm afraid it will probably be lost on the OP.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:01:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Op doesn't realize that most people are FVCKING RETARDED.

Including the OP.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:02:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Interrogator is more than likely a Poe though.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:39:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 4:18:29 PM, interrogator wrote:
TV. Different scenario kid. That does not apply here. 5000 years and counting.
God is still winning. Next.

Is your god charlie sheen?
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 6:06:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 3:16:03 PM, interrogator wrote:
So where do you Atheists come in. Every day people are being converted
and turning to religion for answers. They do not wish to follow secualristic
teachings, because it leaves them searching for more. Not to mention the ones
who are already empty. Anyway, there are over 2.1 billion Christians on
planet Earth today. And the second highest religious group are Muslims.
Most of the countries who dont believe in God, are usually 'communist' countries
where people are being controlled overwhelmingly by their own leaders through
rebelliousness and idolatry. They are the ones who want to be praised.
Hmmm. Which explains their disdain for religious institutions and why they have such a
religious intolerance in the first place. Now why is that ? Hmmm.
You tell me. Most humans believe in a deity and they are going by instinct.
So what is your excuse.

Atheism will pretty much die out soon.. satan wants people to believe that ALL is God; the New Age movement is the (very short) future..
The Cross.. the Cross.