Jump to topic:

Please explain where life came from

joshandr30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 10:33:32 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Not how life evolved, but where did life come from? How did the first life come to be. The first man or the first bacteria or microbe. Where did it come from?
Wayne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 11:17:01 PM
no one knows and scientists are working on it.

it really is pretty complicated, but scientists are making good progress...
To be or not to be... what kind of question is that?
Lightkeeper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 2:22:21 AM
At 10/13/2008 10:33:32 PM, joshandr30 wrote:
Not how life evolved, but where did life come from? How did the first life come to be. The first man or the first bacteria or microbe. Where did it come from?

Are you asking about the first self-replicating molecule?
Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 8:08:19 AM

Are you actually curious or are you trying to make a point. ?
joshandr30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 9:18:26 AM
I have not seen anything except "theory". And a theory is just that a theory. So at this point I have not seen that God does or does not exist, so that would leave me as an agnostic. But the difference is that I can feel and have witness God work in my life and the life of others. This is not meant to convert you, it is MY reason for not being agnostic. And one more point I have come to realize. Even if there is no God what does it really matter? Would I act any different? Would I think it is ok to murder? Steal? Rape? Lie? What really is the big problem with believing in God? Where is the bad or evil in it? Yes yes yes, there has been horrible atrocities committed in the name of Religion. Has there been these same horrid things committed NOT in the name of Religion? If I am believing in false hope then why does it matter? You think we die and nothing happens. I think we die and we go to heaven or hell. Will "something" happen if I die and "nothing" happens as you believe? As I have said before, your arguments are futile. You are trying to convince Christians of something that has absolutely NO bearing on my or your life what so ever. And I have read the comments and forums that there is an intend by most of you to convert people here to your way of believing, so please do not go there.

But in the end I am getting a clearer picture of what is going on here. Is it possible that you are not trying to convert me but establish your own beliefs? Are you convincing yourself. We know the argument is futile even if you do not convince me and we go our ways and the we die. The only thing that will matter is if I am right and you are wrong. But your blood is on your head, you have been told.

Further evidence is your stance towards theist's. It is obvious you believe people that believe in God are ignorant. And not ignorant as in stupid but perhaps more unlearned or schooled. This makes it even more ridicules that you are trying to argue with people that can not understand in your terms. That is like trying to argue with my 1 year old son that the object he is calling a dog is actually a stick. He can not understand it even if I explained it so arguing with him at this point in his life is pointless. This leads me to believe that you are in fact not trying to convince me but in reality you are trying to convince yourself. But even with this taken into account it is still not worth debating. If I am wrong it will not matter, if you are wrong, well that is a horse of a different color.

GOT JESUS?
it's hell without HIM.

I had to throw that in there, I saw a shirt with that on it.
Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 9:37:50 AM
It is complicated josh but..

if you really are actually curious, you can listen to this. It is long, but if you are actually curious then you'll listen to the whole thing. Perhaps you should listen to it while doing laundry or something to keep you busy.

D

http://longnow.chubbo.net...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 9:43:49 AM
"But the difference is that I can feel and have witness God work in my life and the life of others."
You can? What's he look like? What's he feel like? Where did he touch you? did he touch you where he shouldn't? Do we need to get out the anatomically correct dolls so you can show us?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 10:43:59 AM
You made this thread, josh. I know it soothes your vanity for people to talk to you, but who's trying to convince who? You asked about the origin of life, not the existence of god, and for most here, the two are oh-so-unrelated. This is a mistake that theists such as yourself make often. You conflate the two and then cannot see past the equation you make.

So, according to you, you would be an agnostic had god not "touched" you. Please answer Ragnar's questions, seriously. If this were true - the entire Christian metaphysic, that is - and god is all-loving and all-powerful, why doesn't he simply "touch" everyone? Are there cosmic laws about physical abuse or something?
Don't I take care of them all?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 2:40:46 PM
At 10/13/2008 11:22:06 PM, Puck wrote:
http://au.youtube.com...

Jesus or God may not love you puck, but I do :D

My knowledge of Abiogenesis used to leave off at "How did vesicles divide spontaneously?" and "How did genetic information develop?"

Thank you for answering those questions :O!
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
LR4N6FTW4EVA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 3:23:03 PM
At 10/14/2008 9:18:26 AM, joshandr30 wrote:
But the difference is that I can feel and have witness God work in my life and the life of others. This is not meant to convert you, it is MY reason for not being agnostic.

Okay, so if you were raised as a Scientologist, would you perceive the alien dude in your life? Don't base things off perception.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 4:55:44 PM
Jesus or God may not love you puck, but I do :D

My knowledge of Abiogenesis used to leave off at "How did vesicles divide spontaneously?" and "How did genetic information develop?"

Thank you for answering those questions :O!

My work here is done. Spread the good Word. *ascends*
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 6:05:18 PM
At 10/14/2008 9:18:26 AM, joshandr30 wrote:
And a theory is just that a theory.

And a shovel is just a shovel. Doesn't explain sh*t till we define it.

A THEORY is A PROPOSED EXPLANATION for X given issue.
A LAW is THE DEFINITE EXPLANATION for X given issue.
A RELIGION is A SUPERSTITION for X given issue.

NO LAW OR THEORY FOR X GIVEN ISSUE DOES NOT MEAN THE SUPERSTITION IS CORRECT, NOR DOES IT IN ANY WAY GIVE ANY MORE CREDENCE TO THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE SUPERSTITION IS TRUE.

I be done here.
It's an IIINNNTTTEEGGGRRIITTYY thread.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 6:16:55 PM
At 10/14/2008 6:10:33 PM, Sweatingjojo wrote:
Well, what is a superstition but a less well regarded theory?

Superstitions have no support besides belief in them, theories have supporting evidence. A superstition is more like a mere hypothesis.
Lightkeeper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2008 1:34:45 AM
"You are trying to convince Christians of something that has absolutely NO bearing on my or your life what so ever. And I have read the comments and forums that there is an intend by most of you to convert people here to your way of believing, so please do not go there. "

Two problems:

1. Are you really saying that whether you believe in a god or not has no impact on your life? I guess you might be one of those "non-practising theists" so it may well be true.

2. If the issue has no bearing on one's life then why post a thread asking "where did life come from?" After all it doesn't matter. Most of us will agree that we (in the context of all living organisms) exist now. It really is of no consequence where we came from. Therefore to hell with the entire body of philosophy and a decent part of mathematics and astronomy too. After all, what difference does it make to us whether star XB83093023 has a planet orbiting it or not? But while we're at it let's get rid of a good part of history, too. Who cares how many died in WWI? All that matters is that we have food on our table and a functional remote control, right?
gonovice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2008 4:21:14 PM
I definitely believe in evolution. We didn't just pop onto the planet one day. I fully support the theory of evolution. I mean we had to develop from something. However, that is just my opinion.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2008 9:58:33 PM

Storks
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos