Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Giants of the bible ?

Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 3:36:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am curious what Christians (or anybody) think the giants (Nephilim) of the bible were, when they lived, and especially where the fossil evidence is for such giants.
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 4:37:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes. They did exist back in those days. And they were destroyed due to the
great flood. But they still exist now in spirit form and are able to materialize
themselves into human beings, or creatures that look like humans.
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 4:39:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Randall. In the book of Genesis it clearly talks about the Nephillum. These
were seeds of the fallen angels. Now they can be seen in some archives that
are stored in warehouses or government buildings. The museums are not
able to keep them, because they are always disappearing mysteriously.
And that has been proven.
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 4:42:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 4:37:50 PM, interrogator wrote:
Yes. They did exist back in those days. And they were destroyed due to the
great flood. But they still exist now in spirit form and are able to materialize
themselves into human beings, or creatures that look like humans.

WTF?!?
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 4:47:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 4:39:55 PM, interrogator wrote:
Randall. In the book of Genesis it clearly talks about the Nephillum. These
were seeds of the fallen angels. Now they can be seen in some archives that
are stored in warehouses or government buildings. The museums are not
able to keep them, because they are always disappearing mysteriously.
And that has been proven.

Care to elaborate? What museums were they in and then disappeared? No archeological specimens then?
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 4:53:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well, I have to go back and research this again. But it is very true. There are
government and national museums that have documents stating the disappearance
of fossils which were of the Nephillum. Seriously.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 5:03:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This series pwns the giants of the Bible.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 5:04:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 4:53:50 PM, interrogator wrote:
Well, I have to go back and research this again. But it is very true. There are
government and national museums that have documents stating the disappearance
of fossils which were of the Nephillum. Seriously.

I look forward to your getting back to me on that. Very curious.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 5:18:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 5:04:45 PM, Randall999 wrote:
At 3/29/2011 4:53:50 PM, interrogator wrote:
Well, I have to go back and research this again. But it is very true. There are
government and national museums that have documents stating the disappearance
of fossils which were of the Nephillum. Seriously.

I look forward to your getting back to me on that. Very curious.

I wouldn't hold your breath for substantial evidence.
I'm sure I could find at least 10 pages claiming to have infallible evidence of the existence of giants with Google, only to find ridiculous circular arguments based on Scripture and pseudo-science.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 5:39:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 4:39:55 PM, interrogator wrote:
The museums are not able to keep them, because they are always disappearing mysteriously.

Yeah. Very mysterious.

And that has been proven.

...by these fossils that, sadly, are not available for corroboration. Because they disappeared. Mysteriously.

Sure.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 6:10:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 4:39:55 PM, interrogator wrote:
Randall. In the book of Genesis it clearly talks about the Nephillum. These
were seeds of the fallen angels. Now they can be seen in some archives that
are stored in warehouses or government buildings. The museums are not
able to keep them, because they are always disappearing mysteriously.
And that has been proven.

LMFAO! Holy cow, get this kid some Thorazine! Are the voices acting up again?
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 6:29:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 3:36:14 PM, Randall999 wrote:
I am curious what Christians (or anybody) think the giants (Nephilim) of the bible were, when they lived, and especially where the fossil evidence is for such giants.

Four possibilities exist.

1. They didn't exist. Presumably, that is the viewpoint you come from; admittedly the simplest. Also ends the line of thought right there were we to follow it, so let's not.

2. They literally existed. There were big people back then, genetic or hormonal freaks. There are big people now, in case anyone has not been paying attention; exempli gratia this list: http://en.wikipedia.org...

The Bible does not claim anything too unbelievable in this regard; Og king of Bashan, whom the Israelites encountered during the Exodus, required a ten-foot bed (if I remember correctly), and Goliath was around 9 foot tall, neither of which are too far away from what we see today to stretch believability. These are not claims of Jack and the beanstalk giants 40 or 50 feet tall, or any such that would defy human limits.

The bigger question here is not simply where the big human bones are; it's where are any of the bones. Antediluvian humans, according to the Bible, had lived and built cities for two thousand years; I do not know of any archeological evidence at all for these people. To say that it was all destroyed by the flood seems cheap when that same flood is credited with fossilizing leaves, feathers, and other delicate materials.

My guess would be that the populations was localized, not having spread very far from the source, and that the fossils of these cites may be buried in the bedrock Middle East or Africa. Adds a interesting twist to the whole Mid-East Oil concept, if nothing else. It's just speculation on my part, though.

3. They existed metaphorically. This could be referring to the rise of civil governments, patriarchal tribes as described in Job and Genesis with local kings holding leadership in their family by virtue of wealth, age, or skill in the irregular warfare of the time. Case in point would be Nimrod, founder of Babylon and later demigod of the Sumerian culture, who gained his leadership by being a "mighty hunter" (which some suggest is a euphemism for "successful murderer").

4. There are some who try to explain everything in the early chapters of Genesis poetically or mythologically, but their efforts have always been incomprehensible to me. Presumably there is a poetic explanation for the Sons of God that married the daughters of men, but I don't know what that is. I'll include it anyway.

Interrogator is not to be taken as representing orthodox Christian beliefs on this, or possibly any, issue.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 9:43:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The giants of the bible, and their fossils / specimens that mysteriously vanished from museums-- almost puts Area 51 to shame! Where is the NOVA or Discovery TV special on these alleged giant humans! Oh wait, I remember, I saw this as a TV series as a kid, 'Land of the Giants' (seriously, that is an actual tv series from the 1960s, no sheeet!)
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 9:44:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 6:10:37 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 3/29/2011 4:39:55 PM, interrogator wrote:
Randall. In the book of Genesis it clearly talks about the Nephillum. These
were seeds of the fallen angels. Now they can be seen in some archives that
are stored in warehouses or government buildings. The museums are not
able to keep them, because they are always disappearing mysteriously.
And that has been proven.

LMFAO! Holy cow, get this kid some Thorazine! Are the voices acting up again?

I think the Nephilum are stored in some crates back in that government warehouse next to the Ark that Indiana Jones nabbed. I could be wrong. :)
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 9:49:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well I was trying to sucker a Queen into dangerous territory on my chess board, pull off a gambit. What I was hoping for one possible answer was that the bones simply would be too hard to discover as fossils, that that would be too much to expect.

Which would kind of be a 'what is good for the goose is good for the gander', viz creationists often whine 'Where are all the fossils?!' (well, for one thing we have plenty of fossils, including all the transitional fossils), to which archeologists reply it is really hard for a fossil to form and be found in the first place. But apparently that argument doesn't hold water when relayed by archeologists to creationists, but when the tables are turned and archeologists ask creationists where the fossils are for the biblical giants, the creationists sulk away but pull the same ruse-- 'Uh, there aren't any fossils of the giants, fossils are too hard to form and too few to find!'
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2011 10:07:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 9:49:41 PM, Randall999 wrote:

What I was hoping for one possible answer was that the bones simply would be too hard to discover as fossils, that that would be too much to expect.

There are lots of them and not some puny 9' "giant" either :

http://www.google.ca...

http://www.google.ca...

http://www.google.ca...
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 5:08:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 3:36:14 PM, Randall999 wrote:
I am curious what Christians (or anybody) think the giants (Nephilim) of the bible were, when they lived, and especially where the fossil evidence is for such giants.

I think everyone was pretty much a Giant to begin with, then speciation occurred!

They have found some pretty big bones..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 5:51:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 4:37:50 PM, interrogator wrote:
Yes. They did exist back in those days. And they were destroyed due to the
great flood. But they still exist now in spirit form and are able to materialize
themselves into human beings, or creatures that look like humans.

I am one of them. FEE FI FO FUM, I SMELL THE BLOOD OF AN ENGLISHMAN!
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 7:37:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 10:07:51 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
There are lots of them and not some puny 9' "giant" either :

http://www.google.ca...

http://www.google.ca...

http://www.google.ca...

Those are 'Photoshop-ed' hoaxes, shown to be so if you google deeper. What we need are credible photos in peer reviewed scientific archaeology journals, or Scientific American-- and no such published 'Giant humans' or 'Nephalims' exist. Do you want me to show you a giant 20 foot tall squirrel, standing next to a 6' human? I can do that, anybody can with a computer and image editor these days.

Sorry, but your evidence does not hold water. Given me the peer reviewed scientific journal issue with an article and photos on the giant human skeletons. Then I will be impressed.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 8:35:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/29/2011 10:07:51 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 3/29/2011 9:49:41 PM, Randall999 wrote:

What I was hoping for one possible answer was that the bones simply would be too hard to discover as fossils, that that would be too much to expect.

There are lots of them and not some puny 9' "giant" either :

http://www.google.ca...

This is a quality bit of image manipulation, actually created for a competition to make fake images as explained by snopes. http://www.snopes.com...

http://www.google.ca...

This is a crap bit of photoshopping that doesn't look remotely convincing to me.

http://www.google.ca...

The 47 inch femur is a famous and contentious case, there is little consensus on it's validity.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 9:01:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/30/2011 8:35:55 AM, feverish wrote:

http://www.google.ca...

The 47 inch femur is a famous and contentious case, there is little consensus on it's validity.

Oh yeah, and a bit of googling also suggests that the "bone" in the image is an artificial replica of the supposed find, not a genuine archeological artifact.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 10:15:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/30/2011 8:35:55 AM, feverish wrote:

The 47 inch femur is a famous and contentious case, there is little consensus on it's validity.

The only ones who question is validity are those that are two biased by secular faith to see the truth of the evidence.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 10:22:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/30/2011 10:15:03 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 3/30/2011 8:35:55 AM, feverish wrote:

The 47 inch femur is a famous and contentious case, there is little consensus on it's validity.

The only ones who question is validity are those that are two biased by secular faith to see the truth of the evidence.

An interesting account of the 47-inch femur hoax: http://fundiesvatheists.lefora.com...

The article makes a very important point - the bone is misproportionate - the cross sections of bones carry the weight, and those don't scale linerally. So the bone is waaaaay too thin to support the weight of something that size.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 4:03:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/30/2011 10:22:33 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

The article makes a very important point - the bone is misproportionate - the cross sections of bones carry the weight, and those don't scale linerally. So the bone is waaaaay too thin to support the weight of something that size.

Yes but these are the fallen angels and/or the dem-spring of such, they don't any attention to the laws of physics.