Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Thread of Hell -- specific to Christianity?

Randall999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 8:29:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am curious, never really researched Hell much, wondering if it is specific to Christianity in terms of a punishment for NOT believing the gospel of Jesus? If so, I am wondering if that plays a significant part in why people, fearing not just death but painful eternal death, might buy into Christianity. Perhaps the crucified-savior mythology that has permeated history long before Christianity, 'improved' upon the myth by adding in the hell threat (improved only in the sense of finding a way to better propagate the myth as a meme backed by hellfire avoidance as an inducement to belief)?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 12:29:43 PM
It's not a location you end up at as a result of not believing the gospel of Christ. It is a place you end up without even putting the variable of Christ in mind yet, by result of your sin that divides you from God.

sucks doesn't it, but there is a way to fix the sin problem and that is through the redeeming blood of Christ.

Not trusting my doctor doesn't give me tetanus when I refuse to let him give me any vaccinations. The rusted nail I fell on does but the doctor did not cause that. He does provide the solution for the problem I already had prior to coming to his office about that rusted nail though, the vaccine.

Sin is the rusted nail, Jesus took on a rusted nail onto the cross and provides the vaccine. Let Christ be you doctor, it is not his will that you should get tetanus.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Randall999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 2:58:42 PM
@Marauder-- The place or tetanus you speak of does not exist to me, just fiction. But I am still curious as to if Christianity is the only religion that has this horrible 'place' or tetanus as you call it. Or if the many other crucified-risen-savior myths also have this in their mythology.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 3:02:55 PM
Pretty sure Muslims have a hell.
Saw a neat video that says if you don't believe in Christianity you go to Biblical hell, and if you don't believe in Islam, you go to Koranic hell.
So all Christians and Muslims are going to each other's hell. Fun.
Randall999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 3:57:38 PM
At 3/30/2011 3:02:55 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Saw a neat video that says if you don't believe in Christianity you go to Biblical hell, and if you don't believe in Islam, you go to Koranic hell.

That is FUNNY!
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 4:54:36 PM
Many Religions have a hell, note its just not-God, if you are not in infinite happiness you are either in nothing (limbo) or you are infinite suffering by definition of infinite.
Randall999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 5:09:43 PM
At 3/30/2011 4:54:36 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Many Religions have a hell, note its just not-God, if you are not in infinite happiness you are either in nothing (limbo) or you are infinite suffering by definition of infinite.

You are right-- many religions have a Hell, as I just checked on wikipedia.org
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Curious, they generally have hell as spatially located "under the external core of the Earth's surface and often included entrances to Hell from the land of the living." (wikipedia). Why beneath the earth's surface? I should think it had to do with the heat and fire associated with hell, and the observation of hot oil, hot mud, and magma observed as emanating from the earth.
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 5:42:31 PM
At 3/30/2011 3:02:55 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Does this apply to all after-life beliefs I wonder? Do non-Atheists cease to exist in any form once they die? What a wasted life for the religious. Might as well have fun and treat each other equally. haha
God is an Atheist. Faith is "belief in something that isn't based in fact". Since God knows everything he can't have faith, and because he already is the highest power he doesn't believe in a higher power. Atheist right there.

Last time I checked Logic and Reason weren't the causes of thousands of years of brutal warfare, discrimination, genocide, injustices and torture...
Randall999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 5:55:27 PM
At 3/30/2011 5:25:11 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Yes, imagine primitive man seeing a volcano.

And a giant burning blinding yellow orb that moves across the sky, burns skin, blinds people. And at night, a giant white circle with a woman's head on it. And a zillion white twinkling lights that move, that have structures, and some with shooting lights. And sometimes burning rocks blasting out of the sky to explode on earth like a nuclear bomb. No wonder they deified such structures.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 6:53:44 PM
And interesting question is this - it is apparent that more primitive life forms do not worship Gods. What is it about man which caused this - and when exactly did it happen?

This question is not interesting if you are a theist as the answer is "durr when god created man", but if you focus instead on evolutionary biology then what, when and why did religion evolve?

Another question is this - if you look at the nature of God and plot it on a time scale, is it converging to something and if so what is that something.

By God here I mean in the total science as in God for an atheist-naturalist would be the apparent order and beauty of nature.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 5:17:06 AM
At 3/30/2011 8:29:07 AM, Randall999 wrote:
I am curious, never really researched Hell much, wondering if it is specific to Christianity in terms of a punishment for NOT believing the gospel of Jesus? If so, I am wondering if that plays a significant part in why people, fearing not just death but painful eternal death, might buy into Christianity. Perhaps the crucified-savior mythology that has permeated history long before Christianity, 'improved' upon the myth by adding in the hell threat (improved only in the sense of finding a way to better propagate the myth as a meme backed by hellfire avoidance as an inducement to belief)?

Many religions have a form of it.. Our every day choices are either leading us toward Heaven or hell.. obey your consciences.. whatever it costs you.
The Cross.. the Cross.