Jump to topic:

Could we do a PRAYER EXPERIMENT here?

Randall999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:56:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Interesting notion hit me-- what if we could come if with something to pray for, something neutral, something yet to happen, or not, that we could agree on to pray for. Religious folk here pray to their god, Atheists pray to their bottle of shampoo in their bathroom. Both do so daily, in earnest, in sincerity. We see what happens. Find out if and what gods answer prayers.

Supernatural deities versus Shampoo bottles.

Theists, are you up for the challenge? Discuss something to pray for? See if there is a statistical difference between theist prayer results versus atheist prayer results, the objects of prayer for each group?
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 1:50:19 PM
At 3/31/2011 11:56:30 AM, Randall999 wrote:
Interesting notion hit me-- what if we could come if with something to pray for, something neutral, something yet to happen, or not, that we could agree on to pray for. Religious folk here pray to their god, Atheists pray to their bottle of shampoo in their bathroom. Both do so daily, in earnest, in sincerity. We see what happens. Find out if and what gods answer prayers.

Theists, are you up for the challenge? Discuss something to pray for? See if there is a statistical difference between theist prayer results versus atheist prayer results, the objects of prayer for each group?

This presupposes that atheists bathe and therefore have shampoo bottles. As an atheist, I'm not sure this is something we should grant... :-p
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 2:27:09 PM
We would need to find a Thiest with God's ear. Just being a believer and even having met God does not grant you the ability to ask him for things.
Number Chapter 12( for explanation)

Second, it would depend on the request.
If you ask for people to pray to strike Obama dead, it would be presupposing your Will upon God's. Same with Ressurections, fireballs from Heaven etc.

This is only granted for the extremely obedient to God. (See Elijah, Moses, Elisha etc)

I may be able to petition God to ask for something specific to you as a revelation to you personally.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 3:15:41 PM

I don't think you know what a prayer according to Christians is >.> though I can see this being a problem for some people.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 4:57:22 PM
There is nothing supernatural about prayer. The purpose of prayer is aide you spiritually in some way. Examples would be, reinforcing mental and emotional stability, and keeping steadfast in what you know is right.

It is all completely psychological. This "name it and claim it" or "praying for ones desires" are not only shallow minded and absurd to the highest degree, but they are counterproductive to any real spiritual development.

Prayer is a form of chaos magic. There is nothing supernatural about it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 5:10:17 PM
At 4/22/2011 4:57:22 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
There is nothing supernatural about prayer. The purpose of prayer is aide you spiritually in some way. Examples would be, reinforcing mental and emotional stability, and keeping steadfast in what you know is right.

It is all completely psychological. This "name it and claim it" or "praying for ones desires" are not only shallow minded and absurd to the highest degree, but they are counterproductive to any real spiritual development.

Interesting, could you expand on how something labeled "chaos" and "magic" at the same time would be able to produce "real" spiritual development while reinforcing mental, emotional stability and even keeping one steadfast in what is "right".

Doesn't the very definition of Chaos go against any such concept?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 5:25:26 PM
At 4/22/2011 5:10:17 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Interesting, could you expand on how something labeled "chaos" and "magic" at the same time would be able to produce "real" spiritual development while reinforcing mental, emotional stability and even keeping one steadfast in what is "right".

Chaos magic is something real. If you don't know what it is, don't bother trying to refute my use of the term.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 6:13:26 PM
At 4/22/2011 5:25:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/22/2011 5:10:17 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Chaos magic is something real. If you don't know what it is, don't bother trying to refute my use of the term.

Ok. I guess I was asking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 6:18:19 PM
Pardon. Chaos Magic is the use of belief systems to gain a psychological result.

Religions are all the result of Chaos magic that happened to get a little out of hand.

Chaos magic can be used to bring people to awareness, or it can be used as a manipulative tool to get what one wants. It is an integral part of social physics.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 6:19:20 PM
Somewhere it says not to test the Lord thy God. This nullifies any attempts to do a scientific experiment of prayer.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 6:20:16 PM
Social Physics being a term I coined a while ago, and have just found out it has other uses.

By social physics, I mean the science of the individual navigating through social interaction in order to get the most desired result.
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 7:13:43 PM
At 4/22/2011 6:19:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Somewhere it says not to test the Lord thy God. This nullifies any attempts to do a scientific experiment of prayer.

1thessalonians
5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2011 8:01:27 PM
At 4/22/2011 6:20:16 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Social Physics being a term I coined a while ago, and have just found out it has other uses.

By social physics, I mean the science of the individual navigating through social interaction in order to get the most desired result.

Dude, have you read Neil Strauss?
(The Game, you just lost it.)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 10:53:39 PM

The problem with this is "god always ans. every prayer, sometimes the ans. is no."
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 10:57:12 PM
The previous was not my own line.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 11:04:44 PM

Can you show me this belief system and its origins in antiquity?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 12:50:45 AM
At 4/23/2011 11:04:44 PM, Gileandos wrote:

For as long as man has lied, stretched the truth, or was misleading in any way, there has been chaos magic.

It was not always called chaos magic, but it has always been around in one form or another.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 8:42:43 AM
At 4/24/2011 12:50:45 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/23/2011 11:04:44 PM, Gileandos wrote:

For as long as man has lied, stretched the truth, or was misleading in any way, there has been chaos magic.

It was not always called chaos magic, but it has always been around in one form or another.

So this is a relatively new teaching on an old mechanical process? Can you give me a tracking of where this is taught throughout the ages?
leah12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 10:05:26 AM
At 4/22/2011 1:48:01 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 4/22/2011 1:27:27 PM, leah12 wrote:
We could, i am a christian.

Leah puts her praying gloves on...

thanks so much but i dont wear gloves.
Merry Christmas!