Total Posts:66|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should Atheism become a religion ?

interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:54:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

To treat Atheism as a religion like treating Pregnancy as a contraceptive.

Technically accurate, but REALLY missing the point.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 12:03:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

Thats like asking, is the African american freedom movement in the 1900s, a religion? They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard. They do not like the fact that the KKK or any other valid anti-black organization is a legitimate institution despite its imperfections. Not to mention influential. This is why they are making so much noise. Some of them even want us to take down our "I hate negros" signs. But the constitution allows it. Now how dumb can one get.

In any case, Atheism could never become a religion, because there are no dogmas or sets of belief connected to atheism. There is no Atheist holy book, no atheist rules, just a single belief about a God.
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 9:40:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 12:03:25 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

Thats like asking, is the African american freedom movement in the 1900s, a religion? They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard. They do not like the fact that the KKK or any other valid anti-black organization is a legitimate institution despite its imperfections. Not to mention influential. This is why they are making so much noise. Some of them even want us to take down our "I hate negros" signs. But the constitution allows it. Now how dumb can one get.

In any case, Atheism could never become a religion, because there are no dogmas or sets of belief connected to atheism. There is no Atheist holy book, no atheist rules, just a single belief about a God.

Ah, it's nice to see that there are some of sound mind and body on this site, still. It's been awhile, and I was worried that the zealots were taking over. Whew!
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:40:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

Why do you always act like you know how all atheists think and what they believe? Seriously, you cannot act as if they all feel this way. I don't think any atheist i've ever met has had a problem with "Christianity being a legitimate institution." What do you even mean by that? And no, atheism has no dogma, no atheist would want it to be considered a belief system with dogma associated with it.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 12:36:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
Why shouldn't we be heard?

And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
I don't speak for all atheists, but you condescending attitude is very insulting. I'm pretty sure just commited blasphamy too (the other religions are valid? lol.)

This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
You can have as many signs as you want.

Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered or become a religion itself.
No matter how 'dumb' you think we 'can get', you must understand...
Atheism is a valid religious position.

So fvck off.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 5:42:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

It already is; it's gods are money, death, sex and war.. it's priests are TVs and laptops..
The Cross.. the Cross.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 5:46:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/2/2011 5:42:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
It already is; it's gods are money, death, sex and war.. it's priests are TVs and laptops..

It's a bit late for April Fools now DATC.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 6:49:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/2/2011 5:42:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
It already is; it's gods are money, death, sex and war.. it's priests are TVs and laptops..

That's actually pretty accurate minus the death and war part. I don't know any Atheist that enjoys either of those, and I'm sure the majority don't.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 10:52:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/2/2011 6:49:15 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/2/2011 5:42:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
It already is; it's gods are money, death, sex and war.. it's priests are TVs and laptops..

That's actually pretty accurate minus the death and war part. I don't know any Atheist that enjoys either of those, and I'm sure the majority don't.

No, its not accurate. Atheists don't worship money or sex. Atheists aren't the ones going around in orgies. Atheists aren't hogging billions of dollars, and aren't the ones who don't care if others get hurt as long as they get money. Atheists aren't on tv and raking in millions from donations while sending out fraudulent items like healing holy water or prayer cloths. Your argument fails miserably.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 11:32:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
*Didn't read anything but the first posts before posting

but:
Athiesm.
The prefix a signifies the word not

therefore Athiesm is NON-religion
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 11:33:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:54:36 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

: To treat Atheism as a religion like treating Pregnancy as a contraceptive.

Technically accurate, but REALLY missing the point.

Sigged.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 11:36:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/2/2011 5:42:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

It already is; it's gods are money, death, sex and war.. it's priests are TVs and laptops..

okay bro, let me explain something for you...

I do not worship.... Therefore I have no preists, so don't speak for all Athiests, when you're not one.. and also there are as many different kinds of athiests as there are denominations of Christianity.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 11:37:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/2/2011 10:52:47 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/2/2011 6:49:15 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/2/2011 5:42:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
It already is; it's gods are money, death, sex and war.. it's priests are TVs and laptops..

That's actually pretty accurate minus the death and war part. I don't know any Atheist that enjoys either of those, and I'm sure the majority don't.


No, its not accurate. Atheists don't worship money or sex. Atheists aren't the ones going around in orgies. Atheists aren't hogging billions of dollars, and aren't the ones who don't care if others get hurt as long as they get money. Atheists aren't on tv and raking in millions from donations while sending out fraudulent items like healing holy water or prayer cloths. Your argument fails miserably.

This.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 11:37:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/2/2011 11:35:51 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
It would be the same as saying Science is a religion.

This too
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
reddj2
Posts: 239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 3:10:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

ALL HAIL THY HYPNOTOAD
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 3:19:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/2/2011 5:42:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

It already is; it's gods are money, death, sex and war.. it's priests are TVs and laptops..

Stop acting like you know what atheists are like! You obviously don't! Shut the fvck up! Atheists are some of the nicest people I know! You don't need God to not be materialistic!
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 3:20:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/2/2011 10:52:47 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/2/2011 6:49:15 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/2/2011 5:42:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
It already is; it's gods are money, death, sex and war.. it's priests are TVs and laptops..

That's actually pretty accurate minus the death and war part. I don't know any Atheist that enjoys either of those, and I'm sure the majority don't.


No, its not accurate. Atheists don't worship money or sex. Atheists aren't the ones going around in orgies. Atheists aren't hogging billions of dollars, and aren't the ones who don't care if others get hurt as long as they get money. Atheists aren't on tv and raking in millions from donations while sending out fraudulent items like healing holy water or prayer cloths. Your argument fails miserably.

This. thank you for posting this.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 1:01:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

No, we shouldn't turn atheism into a religion. Though it seems entirely reasonable that it should become a religion, consider the consequences. First, we would have our detractors: the a-atheists. They would question the existence of our deities (Money, Death, Sex and War) and mock our TVs and laptops. They would also deny our cherished belief that there are no gods. They would claim that there are not no gods.

That is a double negative but consider that these a-atheist will spawn their own detractors, the a-a-atheists which will spawn a-a-a-atheists and so on. Pretty soon, everybody will be in a religion that sounds like stuttering and that makes multiple double negative claims about the nature of existence.

Suddenly, religion will start to seem pretty ridiculous.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 12:12:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

Well, whats a religion?
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 12:43:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/3/2011 12:12:41 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

Well, whats a religion?

A religion is an institution with a set of beliefs. Since atheism has only ONE belief, it cannot be a religion. One does not equal a set.
bradshaw93
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 12:57:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/3/2011 12:43:14 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/3/2011 12:12:41 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

Well, whats a religion?:
A religion is an institution with a set of beliefs. Since atheism has only ONE belief, it cannot be a religion. One does not equal a set.

Wrong. Religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Atheists have no belief as to what created the universe or what the purpose of it is. We only believe that it was not created by a god and that purpose which comes from a religion is not objectively correct. There are also no 'devotional or ritual observances', only a lack of them. And atheists do not subscribe to any specific moral code. An atheist can be a nihilist, egoist, utilitarian, ext. Atheism in no way fits the definition of a religion.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 1:02:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/3/2011 12:57:16 PM, bradshaw93 wrote:
At 4/3/2011 12:43:14 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/3/2011 12:12:41 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

Well, whats a religion?:
A religion is an institution with a set of beliefs. Since atheism has only ONE belief, it cannot be a religion. One does not equal a set.

Wrong. Religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Atheists have no belief as to what created the universe or what the purpose of it is. We only believe that it was not created by a god and that purpose which comes from a religion is not objectively correct. There are also no 'devotional or ritual observances', only a lack of them. And atheists do not subscribe to any specific moral code. An atheist can be a nihilist, egoist, utilitarian, ext. Atheism in no way fits the definition of a religion.

Well, not wrong, i was half right, and i only typed out half because i was lazy.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 1:46:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/3/2011 12:43:14 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/3/2011 12:12:41 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 4/1/2011 11:51:11 AM, interrogator wrote:
They always seem so desperate to prove that they are worthy of being heard.
And they do not like the fact that Christianty or any other valid religion is
a legitimate institution in spite of its imperfections. Not to mention influential.
This is why they have been making so much noise. Some of them even want
us to take down our I love Jesus signs. But the Constituation allows it.
Now how dumb can one get. =) Anyway. Should the ideology behind Atheism be considered
or become a religion itself.

Well, whats a religion?

A religion is an institution with a set of beliefs. Since atheism has only ONE belief, it cannot be a religion. One does not equal a set.

Atheism can't really be said to have any beliefs. We doubt (quite sincerely of course) that the claims of religion are true. But a doubt is not a belief. It is the absence of belief. We don't say that the Flying Spaghetti Monster's nonexistence is one of our many beliefs. We say we don't believe it exists. The same goes for anything else a person may dream up.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 1:47:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/3/2011 1:14:33 PM, Ogan wrote:
Atheism is an institute of doubts fastened to an unstable raft of beliefs which they call theories but teach them as facts.

Theism is an institute of doubts fastened to an unstable raft of beliefs which they call faith but teach them as facts.
Ogan
Posts: 407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 2:01:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/3/2011 1:47:42 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/3/2011 1:14:33 PM, Ogan wrote:
Atheism is an institute of doubts fastened to an unstable raft of beliefs which they call theories but teach them as facts.

Theism is an institute of doubts fastened to an unstable raft of beliefs which they call faith but teach them as facts.

Atheism is an unstable institute of sinking rafts tossed on a sea of doubts and theories which it believes are facts.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 2:16:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/3/2011 2:01:23 PM, Ogan wrote:
At 4/3/2011 1:47:42 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/3/2011 1:14:33 PM, Ogan wrote:
Atheism is an institute of doubts fastened to an unstable raft of beliefs which they call theories but teach them as facts.

Theism is an institute of doubts fastened to an unstable raft of beliefs which they call faith but teach them as facts.

Atheism is an unstable institute of sinking rafts tossed on a sea of doubts and theories which it believes are facts.

What theories and belief are embodied within atheism then?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it