Jump to topic:

Why kill over the burning of a book?

Randall999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 5:56:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So 20+ Americans were killed by an angry mob in Afghanistan, because a Pastor in Florida USA decided to burn a copy of the Qur'an /Koran. Unbelievable. What kind of a religion motivates its followers to murder just because someone of their same country burns a copy, or several copies of their religious text? The people murdered by the mob had NOTHING to do with the burning of the Qur'an. Is the burning of a book worth the taking of a life? Of course not.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 6:00:02 PM
At 4/1/2011 5:56:36 PM, Randall999 wrote:
So 20+ Americans were killed by an angry mob in Afghanistan, because a Pastor in Florida USA decided to burn a copy of the Qur'an /Koran. Unbelievable. What kind of a religion motivates its followers to murder just because someone of their same country burns a copy, or several copies of their religious text? The people murdered by the mob had NOTHING to do with the burning of the Qur'an. Is the burning of a book worth the taking of a life? Of course not.

The entire Mayan civilization was destroyed because, supposedly, a Mayan threw a bible to the ground the Conquistadores tried shoving in his face. Jews and non-Christians were hunted down and torture to death during the Inquisition.

Radicalized religion of any sort is senseless to me.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 6:01:42 PM
At 4/1/2011 6:00:02 PM, PervRat wrote:

The entire Mayan civilization was destroyed because, supposedly, a Mayan threw a bible to the ground the Conquistadores tried shoving in his face.

Never heard that one before.

Jews and non-Christians were hunted down and torture to death during the Inquisition.

Radicalized religion of any sort is senseless to me.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 6:04:44 PM
At 4/1/2011 6:01:42 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/1/2011 6:00:02 PM, PervRat wrote:

The entire Mayan civilization was destroyed because, supposedly, a Mayan threw a bible to the ground the Conquistadores tried shoving in his face.

Never heard that one before.

The throwing of a bible to the ground may or may not have been apocryphal, but the fact the Mayans and Aztecs weren't Christian and didn't instantly convert was the legitimization the Conquitadores used to eradicate those civilizations, and the essential legimitization of the 'Manifest Destiny' genocidal campaign waged by the U.S. to smite the numerous Native American tribes and reduce them to isolated reservations.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 6:38:32 PM
We should send Banker over there.

Infact, i think we should open up a fundraiser so that we can send Banker over to Afganistan and have him write back to us his experiences.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 6:39:22 PM
At 4/1/2011 6:38:32 PM, tkubok wrote:

Infact, i think we should open up a fundraiser so that we can send Banker over to Afganistan and have him write back to us his experiences.

lmao.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 6:41:47 PM
I can't see anyone from these forums disagreeing with you.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 7:02:54 PM

Is the burning of a book worth the taking of a life?

Consider this act from the point of view that Allah is real, he Qu'ran is his direct word and now think about the actions.

The pastor in so undertaking said actions committed himself to hell, he also moved everyone in his influence closer to hell.

Said actions if not opposed would (if you were a follower of Islam) put those you love at risk of hell as they could be so influenced.

-or-

Simply think of it this way, the same pastor is on a podium encouraging parents to rape/beat their kids on a regular basis just like he does.

His followers are adamant that they support his actions, they would do be as vocal as him, but they don't have the courage he does to speak out.

Here is the thing, if Allah is God, if the Qu'ran is the word of God, what the pastor did in the first case is worse than the second because the first has infinite damage.

Aside from this construct, the reality of Islam is that this is a radical exhibit, I have many muslim friends, judging Islam by a few nuts is fairly poor logic.

The religion did not make them do insane things, they are just insane people, without the religion they would be just as insane but just in some other name.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 7:12:28 PM
@Cliff
I strongly disagree.

Look at the Moors murders.
We can be almost certain Myra wouldn't have killed anyone alone if Brady hadn't taken such influence over her.

People are sheep; a charismatic religious leader with a violent agenda could EASILY influence such people into committing atrocities they wouldn't have otherwise even considered.

Muh threads
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 7:18:19 PM

We would have to pay to send his secretary over there with him; you know, the unfortunate lady who insists on ending all of her sentences with ...!
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 7:28:09 PM
At 4/1/2011 7:18:19 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

We would have to pay to send his secretary over there with him; you know, the unfortunate lady who insists on ending all of her sentences with ...!
I thought Banker was using his broken blackberry to type these comments?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 8:23:07 PM
No, it is not, nor does the Qur'an say that. It is unfortunate that people react in such a way. Burning the Qur'an is simply atrocious, but nobody should kill innocents due to that. It is important to note that the Muslims who get outraged over this are not necessarily influenced to do so by any person. When the Danish cartoons came out, the young Muslims here, who are even gang members, who fornicate, avoid being practicing Muslims, etc., even they became outraged. Why? They probably just thought they found a good reason to make use of violence in the streets. Nothing inspired by religion, but by their own deeds and desires.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 8:50:41 PM
At 4/1/2011 8:23:07 PM, Mirza wrote:
No, it is not, nor does the Qur'an say that. It is unfortunate that people react in such a way. Burning the Qur'an is simply atrocious, but nobody should kill innocents due to that. It is important to note that the Muslims who get outraged over this are not necessarily influenced to do so by any person. When the Danish cartoons came out, the young Muslims here, who are even gang members, who fornicate, avoid being practicing Muslims, etc., even they became outraged. Why? They probably just thought they found a good reason to make use of violence in the streets. Nothing inspired by religion, but by their own deeds and desires.

Wake up.
Islam can EASILY lead to violence. It isn't even difficult to take the passages 'out of context'.

Muh threads
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 8:55:30 PM
At 4/1/2011 8:50:41 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Wake up.
Islam can EASILY lead to violence. It isn't even difficult to take the passages 'out of context'.
Name something popular and influential that does not lead to something negative.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 8:58:20 PM
The fact that a religion places any value on a physical construct made from wood pulp and plant dyes and less or no value on the actual meaning of the doctrine is a red flag that this religion is likely less than divine.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 9:00:28 PM
At 4/1/2011 8:58:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The fact that a religion places any value on a physical construct made from wood pulp and plant dyes and less or no value on the actual meaning of the doctrine is a red flag that this religion is likely less than divine.
Where is your evidence for that asserition?

But, for the sake of argument, let us say that you are right. Islam places high values on its Holy Book that it strongly prohibits burning it and treating it with disrespect. Now tell me why it calls for the same respect to be shown toward other religious books.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 9:14:14 PM
At 4/1/2011 7:12:28 PM, tvellalott wrote:

People are sheep; a charismatic religious leader with a violent agenda could EASILY influence such people into committing atrocities they wouldn't have otherwise even considered.

And no leader can do so without religion? It is hardly the fact that people only do insane things in the name of religion - nor that all insane people are theists.

I have muslim friends, I have burned a qur'an and they are aware of it, we are still friends and I have not been killed.

Some were upset when they found out that I did. I would be upset if someone burned the Feynman lectures, does not mean Feynman is evil.

Then I told them why I did it and they understood it and were happy, and I still was not killed.

There are other people who possibly would kill me had they witnessed the act, but the same can be said for a great many things.

There are probably people out there who would kill me if they saw me eat a banana - the world is full of nuts.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 9:21:06 PM
At 4/1/2011 9:14:14 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 4/1/2011 7:12:28 PM, tvellalott wrote:

And no leader can do so without religion? It is hardly the fact that people only do insane things in the name of religion - nor that all insane people are theists.

Perhaps I misunderstood your position...I was replying to this:
The religion did not make them do insane things, they are just insane people, without the religion they would be just as insane but just in some other name.

Religion DOES make people do insane things. That's all I'm sayin'. :P
Not to say that only religion makes people do insane things. I even gave an example that didn't have anything to do with religion.

Muh threads
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 9:48:12 PM
At 4/1/2011 9:21:06 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Religion DOES make people do insane things. That's all I'm sayin'. :P

Does Religion make perfectly sane people do insane things is the question. If you sat down tomorrow and read the qur'an for the day would you then go out and start killing Christians?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 10:07:50 PM
The thinking behind burning the Qur'an is highly flawed since I'm pretty sure burning it is one of the proper ways to dispose of old copies. By burning it you're just helping Muslims.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 5:49:14 AM

The reasons used by people justfy murder are infinite.. the reason is not the problem; man is.
The Cross.. the Cross.