Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Atheists

socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 7:26:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone know why there seems to be an irregularly high proportion of atheists on this site? I saw a study that said atheists make up 2% of the world when that number is clearly higher on this site. Anyone know why specifically?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 7:28:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm pretty sure Atheists only make up about 20% of this site.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 7:30:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/4/2011 7:28:24 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Atheists only make up about 20% of this site.

Hey that's still 10 times the world average.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 7:32:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/4/2011 7:26:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Does anyone know why there seems to be an irregularly high proportion of atheists on this site? I saw a study that said atheists make up 2% of the world when that number is clearly higher on this site.:

I disagree with that 2% figure. I think the number of atheists is much higher than that and growing larger by the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone know why specifically?:

Atheists tend to be more rational (not trying to offend our resident theist luminaries), and I think debate tends to try in a more cerebral crowd. That'd be my guess.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 7:36:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Atheists make up a statistically insignificant amount differently on this site than they do in the general public, however, the active community has a higher proportion of Atheists and they make up a vast majority of the top percentile/win ratio.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 7:38:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The slight difference between the percentage of Atheist members on this site and Atheists in the general public is accounted for because people who use the internet tend to be more secular than those who are otherwise.

As for the percentile, frankly, Atheists are just smarter.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 7:41:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/4/2011 7:36:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Atheists make up a statistically insignificant amount differently on this site than they do in the general public, however, the active community has a higher proportion of Atheists and they make up a vast majority of the top percentile/win ratio.

I looked it up just for fun and because I obviously have no life, and 6 out of the top 10 debaters according to the leaderboard are atheists. I doubt it really means anything. Just that atheists use the computer more I guess.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 7:45:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/4/2011 7:41:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 4/4/2011 7:36:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Atheists make up a statistically insignificant amount differently on this site than they do in the general public, however, the active community has a higher proportion of Atheists and they make up a vast majority of the top percentile/win ratio.

I looked it up just for fun and because I obviously have no life, and 6 out of the top 10 debaters according to the leaderboard are atheists. I doubt it really means anything. Just that atheists use the computer more I guess.

http://www.debate.org...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 8:35:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/4/2011 7:41:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 4/4/2011 7:36:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Atheists make up a statistically insignificant amount differently on this site than they do in the general public, however, the active community has a higher proportion of Atheists and they make up a vast majority of the top percentile/win ratio.

I looked it up just for fun and because I obviously have no life, and 6 out of the top 10 debaters according to the leaderboard are atheists. I doubt it really means anything. Just that atheists use the computer more I guess.

Clearly the reason for this, is because atheists have no life.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2011 10:59:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/4/2011 7:26:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Does anyone know why there seems to be an irregularly high proportion of atheists on this site? I saw a study that said atheists make up 2% of the world when that number is clearly higher on this site. Anyone know why specifically?

The original member pool was so biased is the most likely. Any social group if bias dominated will tend by inertia to be biased dominated, and random chance will create bias groups far more likely than not.
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 4:07:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
As others have said, it's because DDO attracts certain types of people normally (ie. intelligent people, people who use the web) , as opposed to a random population sample. One thing in particular I think that explains this is that intelligent people typically have great respect for science (no reason not to of course) , and so, when confronted with religion and what they perceive as problems / inconsistencies, tur to science and proclaim to be atheist and become one.

The thing is it's easy to convince a lot of people about atheism who are willing to listen to 'problems' in religion. Of course the people I'm talking about are relatively intelligent and somewhat knowledgeable people (DDO has smarter than average people) . Now, often these people will hear these problems from other atheists and believe this, because they won't be bothered to research into the subject. Typically, it's easy to hear a lot of talk about things like inconsistencies and straight away people claim religion to be false. Furthermore, these claims require a lot of research into things like philosophy to disprove the problems. Of course, a lot of people are also convinced by the Problem of Evil when learning basic philosophy.

Essentially, it's easier and more common to listen just a bit (if you're willing to listen, which this site's members do) , than to do deep research and investigation into religion.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it