Be an Atheist for a Day!

Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 4:19:50 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
or a theist....

have any of you ever tried this out? If so do tell....

I think it is an excellent test of faith. From the moment you wake up to the moment you go back to sleep be a(n) (a)theist for a day. Just to see what its like. Now don't go along saying, "oh then there is no universal standard for morality... yada yada yada. ... "

what i mean is close your eyes and when you open them see the world as if there is no god. See what its like...

Id like to hear how it goes..

D
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 4:24:44 PM
Do you mean I'd have to overtly be a theist? I doubt many people will ask me, "Hey Joe, are you still an atheist?"

Please explain.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 6:31:32 PM
After spending time in Ellis Island since the founding of the nation, Christianity's application for immigration was closed and stamped, "REJECTED" in bold red letters. Buddhism attempted entry several months later, and after a year its file was stamped "REJECTED" in bold red letters as well. At that point, Ellis Island decided that all religions took up too much of its workforce and too much of its time to decide if any religion's application was filled out completely and validly, and swept in a new management system.

To this day, no religion's file has been stamped green.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 11:20:20 PM
I tried being a theological satanist for a minute and an Aztec for another minute back when I was a Mormon. Sure took care of the Mormonism thing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2008 10:56:55 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I've read up on + theorized various religions or belief systems (i.e. Taoism, Buddhism, etc) and have considered implementing their ideologies in my every day life to see how it would work out. It hasn't (yet). Although I am "theist for a day" when forced to attend church services, i.e. funerals, weddings, etc. Sometimes I even receive Communion ;D I rationalize it by saying the symbology is only meaningful to those who believe and I manipulate everything to suit my particular thoughts at that particular time. It's fun.
President of DDO
Spaghettim0nst3r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2008 10:11:52 AM
I think it is an excellent test of faith. From the moment you wake up to the
moment you go back to sleep be a(n) (a)theist for a day. Just to see what its like.

It's not possible, because both modes require one to ~really~ believe.

You can pretend, like most church-goers do... that you really believe in god and the religion etc... but if your heart isn't in it it's pretty easy to tell you're just going through the motions. Going through the motions is not what you're after, but without completely investing yourself emotionally and intellectually into a transition like this it won't work.

You're talking about ~life changing~ experiences, these cannot be simulated.

You can't intellectually transition yourself automatically into a position fully unless you ~really~ understand it, and believe it. Example: Christians go through the motions for years, growing up into adulthood, and most... only after long exposure... have an "experience" that really solidifies their relationship to that belief. Some describe it as "finding a peace" most of the people who have spiritual experience are incapable of describing it.

I could never fully invest myself into "being a Theist" without actually believing it. I believed it when I was growing up, and my transition occured from Theism to Agnosticism at first... then Deism... and then Atheism.

what i mean is close your eyes and when you open them see the world as if there is no god. See what its like...

This cannot happen automatically in a way that will give anyone any meaningful appreciation for it.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2008 6:04:10 AM
At 10/14/2008 4:24:35 PM, s0m31john wrote:
I'll be a Jew tomorrow and not tip when I go out for dinner.

You can't become a Jew just like that. You have to save up first!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 9:19:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Anyone feel like reviving this discussion?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 9:25:24 PM
At 5/15/2012 9:24:05 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/15/2012 9:19:18 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Anyone feel like reviving this discussion?

No.

Hmmmmm, what religion should I stereotype you as belonging to?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 9:32:21 PM
At 10/14/2008 4:24:35 PM, s0m31john wrote:
I'll be a Jew tomorrow and not tip when I go out for dinner.

Funniest thing I've read on DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 9:35:02 PM
Isn't there a version of Christianity which has oral sex in the bible? I could try being that for a day.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 12:34:27 PM
At 5/15/2012 9:35:02 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Isn't there a version of Christianity which has oral sex in the bible? I could try being that for a day.

Catholicism: do it and then say your sorry.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 5:59:33 AM
At 10/14/2008 4:19:50 PM, Zerosmelt wrote:
or a theist....

I think it is an excellent test of faith. From the moment you wake up to the moment you go back to sleep be a(n) (a)theist for a day. Just to see what its like. Now don't go along saying, "oh then there is no universal standard for morality... yada yada yada. ... "

D

I really hope no Christian tries to be an Atheist for a day, they are too weak minded to see anything wrong with rape without their sky daddy master telling them it's wrong. It's only safe for society, that they remain Theists at all times until they are strong enough to realize rational reasons for not hurting someone without God.

These people are so delusional, that:

.You would be causing physical harm to the woman
.You would be imposing yourself on her in a way she doesn't want
.You would be causing mental and emotional trauma to her for a long time after (even her whole life)

Are not good reasons not to rape a woman to them (I'm not joking, theists don't believe these reasons are good enough not to rape). They need God to be good because they don't know how to do it by themselves.
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 6:15:07 AM
I will never try to be an Atheist for a day, not even a second. That would probably hurt me more than anything else. Thinking that everything is just the product of chance, that we all are just some animals who was apes for some 1 million years ago. That we just will stop to exist after we die, making this very short life meaningless. Even if Atheism was true, I could never accept it.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 6:31:29 AM
At 5/17/2012 6:15:07 AM, Clash wrote:
I will never try to be an Atheist for a day, not even a second. That would probably hurt me more than anything else. Thinking that everything is just the product of chance, that we all are just some animals who was apes for some 1 million years ago. That we just will stop to exist after we die, making this very short life meaningless. Even if Atheism was true, I could never accept it.

You have a strawman understanding of evolution and atheism.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 9:14:24 AM

"Thinking that everything is just the product of chance"

I'm an Atheist, and I don't think we are "just the product of chance", where did you get this idea from?

"that we all are just some animals who was apes for some 1 million years ago."

You clearly have never studied evolution.

"That we just will stop to exist after we die, making this very short life meaningless."

Well all logic and evidence points to us being biological, and yes, biological organisms have to die (not all of us though, some Jellyfish can are biologically immortal).

However, you are committing a logical fallacy. One Shelly Kagan pointed out when debating William Lane Craig.

"It's one thing to say we lack eternal, cosmic, or everlasting significance. It's another thing to say, we lack significance."

So even if humans are not everlasting, it doesn't follow from that, that our lives are meaningless or not significant.

It seems you have much learning to do on these subjects.
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 1:26:40 PM
At 5/17/2012 9:14:24 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

I'm an Atheist, and I don't think we are "just the product of chance", where did you get this idea from?

You may not, but most Atheists clearly do. Moreover, if you don't believe that we are just the product of chance, do you believe we was designed by a designer (God) ?

So you are saying that we, according to evolution, did not evolve from apes?

"That we just will stop to exist after we die, making this very short life meaningless."

Well all logic and evidence points to us being biological, and yes, biological organisms have to die (not all of us though, some Jellyfish can are biologically immortal).

However, you are committing a logical fallacy. One Shelly Kagan pointed out when debating William Lane Craig.

"It's one thing to say we lack eternal, cosmic, or everlasting significance. It's another thing to say, we lack significance."

So even if humans are not everlasting, it doesn't follow from that, that our lives are meaningless or not significant.

In my opinion, if we will go nowhere after we die, there is really no great meaning in life. Your meaning in life may be to get a great job or to have a big and nice house, but its really not what I see as the meaning of life. Its just something which is in this life and it, like us, will not exist very much.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 1:55:26 PM
At 5/17/2012 1:26:40 PM, Clash wrote:
At 5/17/2012 9:14:24 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

You may not, but most Atheists clearly do. Moreover, if you don't believe that we are just the product of chance, do you believe we was designed by a designer (God) ?

Well, everything at the macroscopic level that we observed seems to have a reason why it is there but that's only because we examine it and gain knowledge. I mean, if a leaf falls in a lands in an area on the ground, you may think "it landed in a random area". However, the wind condition, the weight of the leaf, the gravity at the time and place, and the space between the ground completely determined where that leaf was going to go, and given those same conditions, the leaf would have landed in the same place.

Basically, things only seem random at the macroscopic level until you gain knowledge about how it works. If we knew nothing about the universe or existence, the opened our eyes to the world, everything would seem random. Things seem ordered, because this is how we grew to understand reality. If we evolved in a different reality that would be considered random here, it would be ordered in that reality if that's how we grew to understand it.

So the idea of randomness, isn't really clear at this point.

So you are saying that we, according to evolution, did not evolve from apes?

Us and the apes you see today share a common ancestor, we didn't evolve from "apes". Thus, you clearly do not understand evolution.

In my opinion, if we will go nowhere after we die, there is really no great meaning in life. Your meaning in life may be to get a great job or to have a big and nice house, but its really not what I see as the meaning of life. Its just something which is in this life and it, like us, will not exist very much.

The earliest life on Earth appeared only millions of years after it was formed (which isn't long considering it's billions of years old). It seems that life will appear fairly quickly wherever conditions are right for it, maybe it only happens once or twice a galaxy (or maybe, it's more rare than this), but there is no eternal, or cosmic meaning to life.

This doesn't mean, that it doesn't matter what we do. There are so many good reasons to want to be alive and enjoy our brief time as humans on this planet, before the sun burns us to a crisp..
cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 2:28:33 PM
There is no way to be an atheist once you have had a relationship with God. Believe me, I tried. I tried hard when I was young, and it wouldn't have been hard to do considering the lack of religious talk and church goers in my family, and being surrounded by the awful and incorrect atheist propaganda.

But, like the Jews that the Assyrians and Babylonians tried to separate and obliterate, I see something that is very real, true, and right in front of me.

There is also no way to believe in God for a day. It's something to commit to and trade a false sense of security and arrogance for constantly being humbled while gaining truth and understanding of the Universe e live in.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 2:36:29 PM
At 5/17/2012 2:28:33 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
There is no way to be an atheist once you have had a relationship with God.
I used to be very conservative and very religious.
Believe me, I tried. I tried hard when I was young, and it wouldn't have been hard to do considering the lack of religious talk and church goers in my family, and being surrounded by the awful and incorrect atheist propaganda.

But, like the Jews that the Assyrians and Babylonians tried to separate and obliterate, I see something that is very real, true, and right in front of me.

There is also no way to believe in God for a day. It's something to commit to and trade a false sense of security and arrogance for constantly being humbled while gaining truth and understanding of the Universe e live in.
cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 2:41:04 PM
At 5/17/2012 2:36:29 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Did you have a personal relationship with God during this time? If so, what changed your thinking?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 2:46:56 PM
At 5/17/2012 2:41:04 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:

Did you have a personal relationship with God during this time? If so, what changed your thinking?

I prayed sincerely for years. God never responded once.

The straw that broke the camel's back occurred during my junior year of high school at the State Debate Tournament. I remember preparing like hell for that tournament in addition to praying every day that I would win.

I placed ninth. I lost to an Atheist in the first break round, and she went on to win the tournament.

After that, I started reading some material online and realized that it was logically impossible for God to exist. I wasted years of my life asking for things when I should have taken responsibility for my own actions. Marx actually discusses this in the Manifesto.

Needless to say, when I accepted that I was personally responsible for the things that happened to me and I stopped waiting for a nonexistent deity to give me things, I started doing infinitely better in the activities I loved.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 2:51:11 PM
At 10/14/2008 4:19:50 PM, Zerosmelt wrote:
or a theist....

D

Sounds like a challenge. I'll give it a shot.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 2:56:14 PM
At 5/17/2012 2:46:56 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 5/17/2012 2:41:04 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:

The straw that broke the camel's back occurred during my junior year of high school at the State Debate Tournament. I remember preparing like hell for that tournament in addition to praying every day that I would win.

I placed ninth. I lost to an Atheist in the first break round, and she went on to win the tournament.

After that, I started reading some material online and realized that it was logically impossible for God to exist. I wasted years of my life asking for things when I should have taken responsibility for my own actions. Marx actually discusses this in the Manifesto.

Needless to say, when I accepted that I was personally responsible for the things that happened to me and I stopped waiting for a nonexistent deity to give me things, I started doing infinitely better in the activities I loved.

It sounds like that debate affected you psychologically- sorry to hear that, but glad you found enlightenment. Although, it's not as easy for me to find it in the same place that you found it, logically speaking.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 3:09:04 PM

I take that as a no in terms of ever having a relationship to God.

A relationship with God is NOT based on prayer. Prayer in itself does nothing. Prayer is a form of meditation that allows you to be more clear of what you are asking for. Prayer doesn't determine a relationship with God.

Your encounter with the atheist was likely God breaking your will to pretend as if you did truly believe.

Basically, you don't pray to receive things. You pray for a good resolution, for knowledge, for balance. If the need is urgent, you can pray for something specific. When I have been urgently in need, I prayed to God for something, and the problem got solved even though the solution was not what I asked for.

Well, this is long winded, but basically being religious and loving God are two different things. I belong to no religion (though most of what I believe follows general Christian beliefs), but I love God with all of my heart.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 3:19:04 PM
At 5/17/2012 3:09:04 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:

I take that as a no in terms of ever having a relationship to God.

That was no fault on my own. I did whatever I could to establish that relationship.
A relationship with God is NOT based on prayer. Prayer in itself does nothing. Prayer is a form of meditation that allows you to be more clear of what you are asking for. Prayer doesn't determine a relationship with God.

False. It is a plea to initiate a relationship with God.
Your encounter with the atheist was likely God breaking your will to pretend as if you did truly believe.

Well, since he wanted me to do that, it is his fault that I do not believe that he exists. Good to know.
Basically, you don't pray to receive things.
Why?
You pray for a good resolution, for knowledge, for balance.
So you are praying to receive knowledge? This contradicts what you said earlier.
If the need is urgent, you can pray for something specific.
So you CAN pray for things.
When I have been urgently in need, I prayed to God for something, and the problem got solved even though the solution was not what I asked for.

So God does not give us what we want? What is the point of praying to him then?
Well, this is long winded, but basically being religious and loving God are two different things. I belong to no religion (though most of what I believe follows general Christian beliefs), but I love God with all of my heart.

I tried to love God, but then I realized that he doesn't exist.