Jump to topic:

Obama Halts National Day of Prayer

SuzzaneO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 3:05:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This year President Obama canceled the 21st annual National Day of Prayer ceremony at the White House under the rouse of "not wanting to offend anyone". On September 25, 2009 from 4 am until 7pm, a National Day of Prayer for the Muslim religion was held on Capitol Hill, beside the White House. There were over 50,000 Muslims that day in DC.
I guess it doesn't matter if "Christians" are offended by this event - we obviously don't count as "anyone" anymore.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 3:15:12 PM
Good for him. It's about time government started reducing the amount of association it has with religion.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 3:21:49 PM
At 4/5/2011 3:05:16 PM, SuzzaneO wrote:
This year President Obama canceled the 21st annual National Day of Prayer ceremony at the White House under the rouse of "not wanting to offend anyone". On September 25, 2009 from 4 am until 7pm, a National Day of Prayer for the Muslim religion was held on Capitol Hill, beside the White House. There were over 50,000 Muslims that day in DC.
I guess it doesn't matter if "Christians" are offended by this event - we obviously don't count as "anyone" anymore.

Was the ceremony sponsored specifically by Obama and the White House?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 3:49:59 PM
At 4/5/2011 3:21:49 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Was the ceremony sponsored specifically by Obama and the White House?

Probably, if it was being held at the white house.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 5:39:48 PM
I guess it doesn't matter if "Christians" are offended by this event - we obviously don't count as "anyone" anymore.:

The double standard is certainly bullsh*t, and Obama should be less worried about "offending" people and more concerned about disallowing it because of it's unconstitutionality.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 5:20:41 AM

Wha'd you expect from the world? A nation CANNOT be Christian! only a PERSON!

'Not taking offence' is as about a central as you can get to Christ's teachings..
The Cross.. the Cross.
SuzzaneO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:53:05 PM
At 4/5/2011 3:15:12 PM, Korashk wrote:
Good for him. It's about time government started reducing the amount of association it has with religion.

Allowing Muslims to hold a day of prayer at the White House is just about as closely associated with religion as you can get, no?
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 10:45:47 PM
At 4/6/2011 4:53:05 PM, SuzzaneO wrote:
At 4/5/2011 3:15:12 PM, Korashk wrote:

Allowing Muslims to hold a day of prayer at the White House is just about as closely associated with religion as you can get, no?

Is this the first time Muslims held a day of prayer?
And its most likely to restore the faith of the muslim people in our county, since for the last 10 years any middle eastern person has been labled a terrorist by the patriotic extremist.
But it is hypocritical yes
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 11:41:38 PM

So after 21 years of Christians getting the spotlight on the National Day of Prayer, Islam gets one year to themselves.... and now you're pissed about it?

LOL.

Apparently, it's either Christians getting a day to pray or NO ONE gets to pray. Well, there's that Christian selflessness that we love! w00t.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 6:51:33 AM
On September 25, 2009 from 4 am until 7pm, a National Day of Prayer for the Muslim religion was held on Capitol Hill, beside the White House. There were over 50,000 Muslims that day in DC.

It is actually was called "Islam on the Hill" and was organized by a local mosque. According to CNN, it was attended by hundreds of people... a number somewhat short of 50,000. There may have been 50,000 Muslims that day in DC to to the indigenous population, but they were not at the event.

Right, it doesn't matter. The Constitution gives the people the freedom of assembly so it doesn't matter who is offended by the event. Of course Obama had nothing to do with the event or its organization, so the only link to early statements is in your head.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 7:17:51 AM
At 4/6/2011 11:41:38 PM, annhasle wrote:

So after 21 years of Christians getting the spotlight on the National Day of Prayer, Islam gets one year to themselves.... and now you're pissed about it?
I'm not a Christian, but the point that you are addressing is incorrect. I think most of the people (including SuzzaneO) are mad at the fact that Obama canceled the Christian prayer after allowing the Muslim one, and the reason that he gave was, "not wanting to offend anyone". If you ask most people in America, and this is regardless of your views on religion or not (such as Pro or Con for this subject), most Americans will say that Islam is worse than Christianity. I am an atheist, and don't think any religion should be taking place, but as SuzzaneO said, Obama was clearly discriminatory and inconsiderate of Christians.

LOL.
Lying Ol' Liberal...?

Apparently, it's either Christians getting a day to pray or NO ONE gets to pray. Well, there's that Christian selflessness that we love! w00t.
Apparently, you can't read if you didn't see SuzzaneO say, "On September 25, 2009 from 4 am until 7pm, a National Day of Prayer for the Muslim religion was held on Capitol Hill, beside the White House." It seems to me that you either didn't read that text, couldn't read the text, or simply read it and choose to ignore it. Your first sentence mentioning the fact that if Christians don't get to pray no one gets to pray is obviously false because the Muslims were obviously allowed to pray.